Returning to the hobby after a 7 year hiatus

Impulse
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Writing that topic title made me feel old... Hi, I'm Impulse and I'm getting back into airsoft. I'm not actually that old at 27 years of age, but 7 years is a long time! I started playing in around 2005 when a friend got me into it and I was hooked for years until I went to uni where it fell off a bit. Then I became a teacher and we all know how much money / free time you get in that profession, then I became a journalist, then I became an analyst and I'm finally able to have free time again. Despite having to sell both of my AEGs when my family moved back to the UK, as UKARA was a thing and I couldn't get them back into the country. RIP my CYMA M14 and... I forget what brand of M4 I had... Point is, my best guns were already in the UK so I still have them here. The issue is not an AEG in sight as they are an upgraded Bell 1911 and a TM VSR-10, which I still need to upgrade the power on; accuracy has been done already, so it's totally silent but only running at around 300fps.

Guess that sort of segues onto my first question. VSR upgrading: is it still the same deal as it was all those years ago? PDI / Laylax parts?

I'm also looking at my local sites and I think I'm set there. Living in Brighton so it seems to be Worthing or Dogtag and while Dogtag looks fantastic, I can't not go to Worthing as it was my first airsoft site back when I was a 14 year old kiddie (skirmished there for years!). I'll probably visit Dogtag from time to time to keep things varied, but I think Worthing will be my go to. Going to be interesting finding a lift, but these are bridges to cross at a later date as I'm still recovering from toe surgery, so I'm under orders from the doctor to not do three of the things I love for the next few weeks (running around a woodland area getting shot by small pellets, pretending to be a fish and hitting pads / getting thrown across the room).

In terms of plans, because I feel like not owning an AEG is basically heresy (and even I get bored of crawling around in the dirt and getting those sweet scoped hits), I'm thinking of getting the TM SCAR-H Recoil Shock in the near future because it looks really nice, will go with my US special forces loadout. That's also just the tip of the iceberg. I've compiled a list of guns I want. It's not short... Just got to get my UKARA defence and I'll be good to go. Guess I'm lucky I still have some of my guns from ages ago when I did have one.

Anyway, I've waffled enough. So... Hi everyone. I look forward to discussing the hobby with you all and ritually sacrificing my bank balance upon the shrine of Tokyo Marui (a lot of my shopping list are TM guns).

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

Welcome, I've just got back into airsoft after a near 20 year break. TMs were the daddies back then (not that we were spoilt for choice!) and although there is some stiff competition they are still up there as the ones to beat in my eyes, if I could just decide which recoil shock to get....

Archived