Feeling out-gunned

Dentonboy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Okay, so myself and 3/4 of our little team went to CSW for the first time in around four years yesterday.

I ran my TM MWS with Geoff's 0.30g and Green gas. My MP7 didn't - of course - want to work when we got there, despite being fantastic when testing it at home leading up to the game day.

My mate ran his TM M4 MWS with 0.28g and his TM SCAR H.

My brother ran his SSG24 with Geoff's 0.48g. He cleaned up a lot with his sniper rifle and really took advantage of the wide open spaces the site offers, especially before the foliage takes over. He was fine! All the snipers there were worryingly proficient.

However, for the first time in a long time, I felt absolutely out gunned with the MWS. My mate did too with both of his TM's. Both are stock - I would say all with 50m+ ranges - but every AEG there seemed to have the edge on us.

Something felt missing yesterday for all of us about Airsoft and none of us could put a finger on it. I am sure a bit of tinkering with the MWS could improve things but I am loath to do anything that will cause ongoing niggling issues that need constant correcting...

I have been a sworn admirer of the MWS platform, but it really didn't measure up yesterday. Perhaps because it was hard to get the drop on anyone without cover, perhaps because 1 or 2 BBs are no match for a hi cap burst. But it was disheartening.

This exact reason is why I always bring an AEG with me on a game day. Will play a bit with my sniper or my WE L85 but if im starting to feel outgunned by the AEGs Ill just bring mine out and run around with it like a mad man.

I think its good to have a variety of gameplay during one game day.

• Supporters

also needs bearing in mind that if the site has a lot of regulars that know the place they're going to have an advantage over folk who haven't been in a while.

a mix of guns is always a good option, i now by default keep my little jg aksu in my bag to every skirmish with enough batteries to feed it, if i don't want/need to use it then it's great having a gun to whack a battery in and hand to a squad mate who's had technical difficulties.

I mean, I feel I know the site like the back of my hand as it used to be my regular site for a good four years, but it was one of those days when I couldn't reach out to who was shooting at me, which was a pain!!!

• Supporters
56 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

I mean, I feel I know the site like the back of my hand as it used to be my regular site for a good four years, but it was one of those days when I couldn't reach out to who was shooting at me, which was a pain!!!

Doubt it was the gun more a case of just being outplayed. MWS is a solid gun that keeps up with 99% of the other toys out there.

Although you know it well a long break will still put you on the back foot compared to still regularly attending players. It only takes being slightly off game to wreck a day as once you get it in your head it just goes downhill.

Sure if you start attending there regularly again you will shake off the site rust and be back to normal.

One of the big unknowns you'll almost always encounter is not knowing what the other guy is running. Just because a person is running a Cyma P90 (not sure why but my head went straight to this, guessing it's due to Asomodai's extensive upgrade thread about it) doesn't mean that you're facing a stock gun with the associated performance levels. In the event you're faced with mostly stock guns then who's to say you're not going to be facing players with the mentality of "accuracy through volume" and as a result end up staring down hi-cap's galore.

It's perhaps stating the obvious but we all pick our poison and I think it's a case of trying to play to your personal strengths, and the strengths of your equipment. Granted this isn't always easy but it's important to try be adaptable too.

It's a bit hard to comment without a full picture but I'll admit that I tend to take two "primaries" with me, one usually a full length/carbine and the other usually something compact or with a variable profile. Obviously this isn't always applicable and it's not always a possibility.

By the sound of it you're hesitant to pursue the upgrade route but if you're dissatisfied with the performance then it might be a case of assessing you're options.

@ImTriggerHappy also raises a very valid point. You can have the best kit in the world but a well practised player will almost always outmatch an inexperienced/rusty player. Also (and Trigger touches on this as well) if you start to experience frustration and/or negativity creeping in then in most cases it'll cause things to spiral. The psychological aspect is definitely something overlooked.

Hopefully you can start to attend more regularly and shake off the rust which in-turn will hopefully result in you noticing an improvement in your capabilities and experience.

1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Doubt it was the gun more a case of just being outplayed. MWS is a solid gun that keeps up with 99% of the other toys out there.

Although you know it well a long break will still put you on the back foot compared to still regularly attending players. It only takes being slightly off game to wreck a day as once you get it in your head it just goes downhill.

Sure if you start attending there regularly again you will shake off the site rust and be back to normal.

You may well be right! I think that I was cocky enough to think I could play CSW like I do Ace or Battle Lakes, and actually, you cannot.

58 minutes ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

One of the big unknowns you'll almost always encounter is not knowing what the other guy is running. Just because a person is running a Cyma P90 (not sure why but my head went straight to this, guessing it's due to Asomodai's extensive upgrade thread about it) doesn't mean that you're facing a stock gun with the associated performance levels. In the event you're faced with mostly stock guns then who's to say you're not going to be facing players with the mentality of "accuracy through volume" and as a result end up staring down hi-cap's galore.

It's perhaps stating the obvious but we all pick our poison and I think it's a case of trying to play to your personal strengths, and the strengths of your equipment. Granted this isn't always easy but it's important to try be adaptable too.

It's a bit hard to comment without a full picture but I'll admit that I tend to take two "primaries" with me, one usually a full length/carbine and the other usually something compact or with a variable profile. Obviously this isn't always applicable and it's not always a possibility.

By the sound of it you're hesitant to pursue the upgrade route but if you're dissatisfied with the performance then it might be a case of assessing you're options.

@ImTriggerHappy also raises a very valid point. You can have the best kit in the world but a well practised player will almost always outmatch an inexperienced/rusty player. Also (and Trigger touches on this as well) if you start to experience frustration and/or negativity creeping in then in most cases it'll cause things to spiral. The psychological aspect is definitely something overlooked.

Hopefully you can start to attend more regularly and shake off the rust which in-turn will hopefully result in you noticing an improvement in your capabilities and experience.

Quite possibly. I am not ruling out upgrading, but what I don't want to do is turn a consistent 50m+ gbbr into an inconsistent 70m gbbr... I am very much of the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' school of thought, especially with TMs.

Cheers all for the insights and thoughts.

Is the MWS totally stock? Nothing changed at all?

I've had days where I just can't get into it. Just distracted by outside influences or something unknown.

Even just picking a team that's unbalanced can do it. You try to play but find nobody else is... psychounlogical.. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Immortal said:

Is the MWS totally stock? Nothing changed at all?

I've had days where I just can't get into it. Just distracted by outside influences or something unknown.

Even just picking a team that's unbalanced can do it. You try to play but find nobody else is... psychounlogical.. :lol:

Internally I have done nothing to it, apart from trying different BB weights and obviously adjusting the hop accordingly.

At my other sites I frequent I don't feel out-gunned, but these sites are more overgrown so you can get closer. CSW yesterday was quite sparse and open, with very little ground foliage for concealment. This meant that opponents were generally visible from quite a distance away.

Cannot rule out an off-day, but for all three of us to think the same thing is very unusual. 

8 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

Cannot rule out an off-day, but for all three of us to think the same thing is very unusual. 

Maybe you're all in sync like women in the office when Aunty Flow comes to visit.... :lol:

I'd say it sounds like an off day compacted with the environment putting you all out of whack from what you're used too. 👍

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

Internally I have done nothing to it, apart from trying different BB weights and obviously adjusting the hop accordingly.

At my other sites I frequent I don't feel out-gunned, but these sites are more overgrown so you can get closer. CSW yesterday was quite sparse and open, with very little ground foliage for concealment. This meant that opponents were generally visible from quite a distance away.

Might just be the case that due to the nature of the site the regulars have done lots of work to add range. But that range will only be 10/15mtrs and you can close that gap pretty quickly on a sprint.

• Supporters

Could be lots of factors, from a very personal viewpoint, fitness & mindset can play a massive part of not only how well you play, but also whether or not you enjoy the day, win or lose ?.

when I was (a lot) fitter, I could literally "own" the sites I played regularly, whereas nowadays, no matter how much I've been looking forward to a game, there's every chance I'll feel like packing up by lunchtime.

as for technical issues with your rifles etc, this is the reason why I'll never buy a gas primary, we all know that hop set up etc is the best answer to range/accuracy, obviously combined with a reasonable fps, so I can't get excited about the idea of propelling the bb with something so temperamental.

come back from the Dark side, we won't judge you 😏

IMG_4297.JPG

I have long considered a TM ebb.

I am not against them by any means.

I am more against shelling out £400+ or so to get one!

11 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

I have long considered a TM ebb.

I am not against them by any means.

I am more against shelling out £400+ or so to get one!

Knowing you and your nylon luck you would pick a NGRS up for £150 with 6 original Pmags

5 minutes ago, SgtTalbert said:

Knowing you and your nylon luck you would pick a NGRS up for £150 with 6 original Pmags

Ha, I appreciate your faith! Luck is luck. None of my Crye's have yet to make a 60 yard distance hit. Or indeed, a 60mm distance hit!

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, SgtTalbert said:

I Picked up my NGRS Scar L with 8 mags for less than £200(I don’t want to give the exact figure because it upsets people)... all you have to do is spend the time trawling places and be ready to go at a moments notice.

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, Prisce said:

all you have to do is spend the time trawling places and be ready to go at a moments notice

sounds more like Grinder 😜

Buy a SixG nub, modify tan bucking , .32-.36 bb’s and try that. If range and accuracy are your issue, a Tm recoil won’t fix it. Out of the box, the mws kicks the recoils ass. Both of which can be upgraded to increase the range and accuracy a significant amount. 

Just now, Wo1f said:

Buy a SixG nub, modify tan bucking , .32-.36 bb’s and try that. If range and accuracy are your issue, a Tm recoil won’t fix it. Out of the box, the mws kicks the recoils ass. Both of which can be upgraded to increase the range and accuracy a significant amount. 

Exactly this. Exactly... 👍

24 minutes ago, Prisce said:

I Picked up my NGRS Scar L with 8 mags for less than £200(I don’t want to give the exact figure because it upsets people)... all you have to do is spend the time trawling places and be ready to go at a moments notice.

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

My issue here is fitting it. I am an absolute amateur, and I don't fancy the idea of wrecking it!

11 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

My issue here is fitting it. I am an absolute amateur, and I don't fancy the idea of wrecking it!

If you fuck it up. Just sell it with the line "Just needs SixG nub fitting, 10min job just don't have the time"

£750 all in.

40 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

It’s really easy, but where are you based? If you’re local I’ll do it for free. 

Archived