Travailfitness plates

_stylian_
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters
3 hours ago, _stylian_ said:

Ha, in a roundabout way, yeah, actually 

go on then, don't keep us in suspense 😉

13 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

So when in reality would you ever have to run a quarter mile with 10 kilos on your back. 

HEMS, HART Team, Mountain Rescue? They aren't just confined to Hospitals...

9 minutes ago, Sawyer said:

HEMS, HART Team, Mountain Rescue? They aren't just confined to Hospitals...

Got it one. If I'm on the crash bleep and I'm called out of building, our response bag is about 10kg and the furthest I've had to run is a quarter mile. I also have to carry the response bag in transfers. In hospital I don't take the bag as each area should have a crash trolley, but I'm expected to be able to sprint to any part of the hospital

HEMS/MERIT are expected to be able to run an 8 minute mile with full kit over terrain I believe 

12 minutes ago, _stylian_ said:

Got it one. 

I wouldn't worry too much about justifying yourself on here. A lot of people/experts with a lot of opinions.

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, _stylian_ said:

Got it one. If I'm on the crash bleep and I'm called out of building, our response bag is about 10kg and the furthest I've had to run is a quarter mile. I also have to carry the response bag in transfers. In hospital I don't take the bag as each area should have a crash trolley, but I'm expected to be able to sprint to any part of the hospital

HEMS/MERIT are expected to be able to run an 8 minute mile with full kit over terrain I believe 

Bollox you carry the response bag ! Bloody anaesthetists don’t do menial things like that , why you have ODP’s and ODA’s !  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just now, Sawyer said:

I wouldn't worry too much about justifying yourself on here. A lot of people/experts with a lot of opinions.

True that. But yeah, you rarely see an obese anaesthetist

1 minute ago, Druid799 said:

Bollox you carry the response bag ! Bloody anaesthetists don’t do menial things like that , why you have ODP’s and ODA’s !  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ha. None on the crash team or transfer team here. Though I do get the crash team porter to grab the bag sometimes

It's all of a muchness. Do I - need- to train with plates? No. But it helps. 

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, Sawyer said:

The ones who generalise in a sneery, supercilious way are just the worst.  If you see anyone like that, please let them know.

• Supporters
32 minutes ago, Sawyer said:

Ouch, slightly harsh with no real humorous sarcasm, & maybe some "experts" on here base their responses & advice on real world experience, not everyone's a keyboard warrior or troll 😉

1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

So when in reality would you ever have to run a quarter mile with 10 kilos on your back. 

On the live footage of either the 7/7 bombing or London Bridge / parliament area attacks there was a tiny paramedic spotted sprinting into the area, the paramedic was obscured by the giant pack on their back.

Adrenaline is part of it, but the fitness contributes a hell of a lot

5 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

On the live footage of either the 7/7 bombing or London Bridge / parliament area attacks there was a tiny paramedic spotted sprinting into the area, the paramedic was obscured by the giant pack on their back.

Adrenaline is part of it, but the fitness contributes a hell of a lot

'Fun' fact from that tragedy. The bus bombing happened outside the royal college of GPs. Who had a conference on. So in minutes you had dozens of doctors triaging patients and doing their best to keep people alive. Almost certainly saved lives by them being there

18 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Ouch, slightly harsh with no real humorous sarcasm, & maybe some "experts" on here base their responses & advice on real world experience, not everyone's a keyboard warrior or troll 😉

My response was by no means aimed at you. Your post was well thought out and well argued.

There are some on this forum who seem to be of the opinion that if it's not what they do/think then it must be wrong. 

@Rogerborg Sorry if I touched a nerve? I don't really see how my post was any of those things, but if you feel that defensive about it I can't account for why that might possibly be.

4 minutes ago, Sawyer said:

Yeah sorry. Out of interest do you find they make a difference to being able to draw mags? My PC can be pretty floppy which doesn't help.

Do you have any sort of plates? I find my PCs with rigid foam plates have no issue with mag draw/index.

So these plates I imagine are just as good (for that purpose).

• Supporters

Think a few people need to calm down, I asked a simple question that was not a dig just wanted to know when this is a thing.

I understand paramedics are better off being fit even though I have seen some who could no way run a quarter mile without needing medical attention themselves. Maybe I am wrong but I didn't think a paramedic and anaesthetist are the same thing?

As for Helicopter crews and mountain rescue if you are a anaesthetist working on those crews again understandable but that would I imagine be a very select few and most would just be hospitable bound. The anaesthetist who put me out for my op a few years ago could maybe have managed a brisk trot if he was chasing a run away pork pie but a run, no way.

@_stylian_ Are you helicopter crew, mountain rescue?

28 minutes ago, Sawyer said:

Yeah sorry. Out of interest do you find they make a difference to being able to draw mags? My PC can be pretty floppy which doesn't help.

Nope not one bit! They also have other cuts/weights which are just as comfortable as I was lucky enough to try out at the weekend.

10 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Nope not one bit! They also have other cuts/weights which are just as comfortable as I was lucky enough to try out at the weekend.

I'll add them to the shopping list... 

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Sawyer said:

Foam, but they're cheap and misshapen...

If you do think foam inserts are too flexible for you just rap some duck tape around them and it’ll make quite a difference to the rigidity of them . 👍

AND  @triggerhappy is spot on , there’s most definitely a lack of Greek gods and goddesses in the NHS ! General rule of thumb seams to be the younger ones keep them selves fit but as they get older and the vigour of youth fades so does the fitness , lot of its due to the all over the shop shift patterns , the ever increasing workload and just the simple fact that you live on crap food as more times than less you just don’t have time to sit down and have a proper meal it’s a case of grab something on the hoof . 

2 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

If you do think foam inserts are too flexible for you just rap some duck tape around them and it’ll make quite a difference to the rigidity of them . 👍

That's a good shout! I'll give that a go too.

Plates help with draw for sure

As for myself, just in hospital, though have an interest in PHEM and do event days. 

It's rare to come across a fat doctor below the age of 40, especially in the non office areas like theaters. Just too active. I'd say it's 50:50 being actual gym fit and skinny fat. Ward nurses and GPs are much to be desired though on that front! 

Archived