Best starter airsoft gun for around 300 quid to spend

igotfips
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking to buy my first airsoft gun and have around 300 quid to spend (will go over if I need). I play outdoor woodland and am looking to start CQB so a gun that suits both types of game type would be helpful. Thanks. 

Welcome.

300 Quid including Gun, Magazines, Protection, battery, battery charger?

If you could be specific to what you already have that would help.

Any tastes and preferences? M4, AK, e.t.c 

I have protection and that’s 300 quid for gun, batteries and battery charger. The 300 quid isn’t set in stone either I can go higher if I need 

Seeing as you want to do CQB.

You could go for an ARP-9, they are around 200 quid.

That leaves 100 quid for an ARP-9 drum mag (highly recommended), battery, battery charger and whatever else you want.

Guessing you don't have UKARA so would recommend buying it from a UK retailer who can two-tone it for you.

Get a small 7.4 LiPo (or two) and a Smart Lipo Charger from componentshop. ARP-9 doesn't have much battery space.

Do your research before buying so you are not left disappointed.

How would the ARP-9 perform in woodland play and larger outdoor sites? Would it be able to compete with people using M4A1 (larger guns) for example? 

From what I've seen, the ARP-9 loves heavier ammo such as 0.28g and 0.3g Bbs for outdoor play. Barrel length isn't that big a deal in airsoft.

Thats a very broad question seeing as there are many factors that determine FPS.

But basically, a heavier BB will travel at a slower speed (lower FPS) but have greater range and accuracy.

You shouldn't be breaking any site limits using the ARP-9 and heavier BBs if thats what your worried about.

Don't want to spoonfeed you too much so remember google is your friend.

39 minutes ago, UKCYukarin said:

Seeing as you want to do CQB.

You could go for an ARP-9, they are around 200 quid.

That leaves 100 quid for an ARP-9 drum mag (highly recommended), battery, battery charger and whatever else you want.

Guessing you don't have UKARA so would recommend buying it from a UK retailer who can two-tone it for you.

Get a small 7.4 LiPo (or two) and a Smart Lipo Charger from componentshop. ARP-9 doesn't have much battery space.

Do your research before buying so you are not left disappointed.

Pretty sure ARP-9 need a 11.1V lipo to run and won't work on a 7.4 because of G&Gs mosfet. Most people buy the battery extension tube 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airtech-studios-beu-battery-extension-unit-for-arp-9-556

31 minutes ago, igotfips said:

How would the ARP-9 perform in woodland play and larger outdoor sites? Would it be able to compete with people using M4A1 (larger guns) for example? 

Barrel length doesn't add distance or accuracy in airsoft the way you would expect you won't be missing out.

For your budget the ARP-9 should fit. I have read the high caps aren't great so I'd look at mid caps or a drum mag if I were you. 

10 minutes ago, UKCYukarin said:

Thats a very broad question seeing as there are many factors that determine FPS.

But basically, a heavier BB will travel at a slower speed (lower FPS) but have greater range and accuracy.

You shouldn't be breaking any site limits using the ARP-9 and heavier BBs if thats what your worried about.

Don't want to spoonfeed you too much so remember google is your friend.

Cheers, started airsoft expecting it to be all simple to be honest and its more complicated than I thought. thanks for your help anyway.

• Supporters

It doesn't have to be complicated, unless you can only have fun if you're absolutely certain that you've got the bestest most shootingest technobabbliest toy gun among all the pretend soldiers. ;)

A G&G CM16 Raider-S, for example, will sling BBs downrange 90% as well as 90% of everything else out there (that's actually site-legal), be usable in CQB, and won't break the bank, or its gears, or demand Unobtanium batteries.

You can spend more - a lot more - or even a bit less (yes, the cheapest CMYA M4s are usable) but that doesn't necessarily equate to more fun.

"Best" is a highly subjective term.  Don't fret too much, it's better to be playing airsoft at 90% effectiveness with a gun that puts a smile on your face than to not be playing airsoft while you search for that elusive final 10%.

3 hours ago, UKCYukarin said:

From what I've seen, the ARP-9 loves heavier ammo such as 0.28g and 0.3g Bbs for outdoor play. Barrel length isn't that big a deal in airsoft.

I'll second that. Feed it 0.3 and it will perform very well.

Lipos are a bit scary for new people everyone talking about getting the right stuff to not set yourself on fire.Then people say careful airsoft is wired backwards! I know what your thinking you didn't even know what having it wired the right way needed now you need to worry about the wrong way?! Below is some kit you can pick up minus an actual battery this would let you charge a 3 cell lipo just plug them all in and stick a battery in the bag. 

If you order 2 batteries from hobby king with the charger should qualify for free uk shipping. The charger doesn't come with a mini tamiya or tamiya connector just a deans and their charging lead is wired the correct way so you'd need to switch it over black to red red to black for it to work on an airsoft deans battery.  Hence why I included the charging lead with all 3 common airsoft connectors on it wired as you need match the colours on the charger to the colours on the battery no need to swap stuff. The extesion lead and bag are so you can charge it inside the bag the balance leads are about an inch long otherwise and you wouldn't be able to get it in the bag. 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6ac-v2-professional-balance-charger-discharger-uk-plug.html

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/airsoft-battery-charging-harness.html

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/jst-xh-balance-lead-extensions-3s-400mm.html

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/lipo-safe-charging-bag-small.html

Archived