Setting up gun to be on target. hop / zeroing.

Musica
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know some people have some opinions on this like why bother aiming etc but I like it and I know they are only toys but I wouldn't fire random bullets to see where they went and correct IRL so I don't really want to do it in airsoft. 

I have a little trouble seeing my BBs flight all the time some times I can see it but others I can't might be light conditions not sure but sometimes I did notice my bbs were going straight for a bit then whipping upwards so I think I had too much hop set ?. 

My reason for creating this topic is any tips on setting up my hopup specifically with some of my issues seeing the bbs.  Until I get that dialled in I can't check/ adjust my sights ( or try to). 

I watched this guys video but I can't see my bbs very well to judge what they are doing probably because I'm not outside in the sun?  

Any tips are appreciated. 

Hop setup is best done with white BBs, shooting with the sun behind you towards a target with a dark backdrop.

The BB should travel horizontal, then lift slightly (as its speed decays) then drop (as its backspin and speed have decayed).

Worth noting that once you get out 60M and beyond its best to combine MK1 eyeball and 4x scope to see and set the best curve

• Supporters

I just shoot against a dark background, using white bb's all the time helps unless your in a dense forest or dark indoor setting and you can't see.

I set for a little bit of rise but not too much, you dont want to be sending rounds over their heads at range.

Scope zeroing is a case of once yours hop is set adjust to the flight of the bb's and accept that a lot of kentucky windage will be needed in-game

Alright seems backdrop is key here probably why I can see it sometimes and not others.  Thanks for all your help guys. 

Triggerhappy as usual a very comprehensive guide and testing methodology wish I could do this but I won't be to clamp /level out the gun on and laser out a distance on site so I'll keep it in mind should the opportunity present its self as I can see it being very precise way to set it up. 

The site I used to play had a range with 3 metal targets at different distances. The sound of hitting was clear so even if you lost sight of the bb you knew if you were roughly on or off. So maybe also use something that will give you a good sound response as a target. Don't make it too small if testing outside

Screw a frying pan to a tree. You know when you hit it.

Generally when I zero in a new build. Set hop first, no sights needed, watch the bb fly, adjust until it does the slight step up st the end then drops. Zero to desired distance along the newly found flight path.

yes that depends on being able to see the bb though but I can’t say I’ve ever had an issue with white bbs in the woods.

so i have just bought a new gun which im going to have to zero, my first gun brand new out of the box what do i need to do 

• Supporters

Brand new out of the box what to do ? Just point and shoot ! 😁

Now first thought will be “ha ha thanks for the input , twat !🤬

but for once I’m actually being serious (yes I know that’s a fecking surprise!) as it’s new it’ll need a good few bbs through it before it ‘beds in’ as in everything needs to settle in it and THEN you should start thinking of zero’ing it and what not , for now I’d recommend just set the hop by the fall of the bbs at a ‘general’ range and as the next couple of gameday’s go by just keep re-setting as you see the range creeping further and further out till your happy you’ve arrived at its optimum range THEN think about setting zero .👍

40 minutes ago, Mad Rag said:

so i have just bought a new gun which im going to have to zero, my first gun brand new out of the box what do i need to do 

the video in the first post helps get the fundamentals but using a dark background with a white BB helps see what your bb is actually doing.

Set your hopup with the weight of bb you will be using then pick a target at a range you want your sights to be accurate to and adjust untill what the sights look at are what the bb hits.

As Druid has pointed out until a few hundred bbs go through it then it won't be consistent anyway so spening a lot of time on it will be wasted but just get it rough with hop up and make sure they are roughly going where you aim with your sights

18 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

but for once I’m actually being serious

pleaseeeeeeee next joke.......... 

19 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

it’ll need a good few bbs through it

will the garden be okay you think??? 

got a CQB

16 minutes ago, Musica said:

roughly going where you aim with your sights

i have a red/green dot sight

i have a CQB game on wed fps limit is 330 and this is apparently shooting 330 + but that will come down a touch once i get a few 100 through it wont it.

for good measure here is my new rifle. 

new gun.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mad Rag said:

will the garden be okay you think??? 

Shootings - shooting. You can empty them into a cardboard box at your feet if you want but shooting a distance is more fun.

Just make sure you can control where they go! And consider your neighbours if you have any.

I don't often shoot at home but when I do it's normally in the hall with a pistol but if in the garden with a rifle I don't when there's other people in their gardens. I know they won't know what they're seeing even if they aren't smart enough to tell I'm not using real rounds. They'll just see a gun, not consider the BBs and get all shitty or worse.

And even if they did know I'm plinking BBs they'd probably still think they have a valid opinion as most people do (but really don't. lol :lol:)

In fact if I shoot in the garden I sit indoors and shoot out the double doors so nobody can really see but the prinicipal still stands.

1 minute ago, Immortal said:

n the hall

i shoot in the hall quite often as its long hahah just more so the noise for my neighbours even if they have kept me up all night at times 

i might just find a farm and ask if i can use his field lol 

8 minutes ago, Mad Rag said:

i have a CQB game on wed fps limit is 330 and this is apparently shooting 330 + but that will come down a touch once i get a few 100 through it wont it.

I am pretty new to the hobby like yourself but my understanding of an AEG is the springs get weaker over time and especally at the start if you fire it a bunch like 5 mags then it weakens the spring which brings the FPS down from brand new to a few hundred bbs  you will see a drop but it will be very minimal after that at least how I understand it.

I was going to fire a few hundred through my  Evo when I got to test the gears but it didn't make it thru 2 bbs let alone 2 hundred before it decided to break. Once I got it back I fired less than a hundred to test my magazines were feeding and left it to bed in on my first game day with it.

2 minutes ago, Musica said:

I am pretty new to the hobby like yourself

i am only been in the hobby 4 months so still learning. 

1 hour ago, Mad Rag said:

Read the thread from the start!?

1 hour ago, Mad Rag said:

i am only been in the hobby 4 months so still learning. 

I heard that you learned the meaning of "blind firing"

And "over aggressive play" last weekend  😉

24 minutes ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

And "over aggressive play" last weekend

i dont think this was me ahah. wed just gone was my first game since feb as i just had so much on. 

Archived