Green Gas, what to buy?

Marauder211
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've been told to stay away from Nuprol gas like the plague, but i'm not sure what green gas to buy for my pistol (i am buying a G&G GPM92). I've seen a few brands like Elite Force, ASG, and Abbey. But while Abbey does great gun oils i am worried about the power of their predator gas, i know ASG does great BBs (i've had a lot less issue with them in my guns), and Elite Force stuff seems to be extremely hard to find in the UK. 

Which gas do you guys use and how long have you used it?

Also i would love this to be open to anybody else who is new to GBB weapons like myself or airsoft in general.

I think their gas is the only thing Nuprol do decently, seeing as their owned by WE and their gas has always been a standard go to.

As for Abbey, their gas is definitely much nicer on the seals (better lubricant I think?) and im pretty sure their red can (Predator Ultra) is similar to green gas.

Just now, UKCYukarin said:

I think their gas is the only thing Nuprol do decently, seeing as their owned by WE and their gas has always been a standard go to.

As for Abbey, their gas is definitely much nicer on the seals (better lubricant I think?) and im pretty sure their red can (Predator Ultra) is similar to green gas.

So Nuprol is okay to use? Okay, i'll get some when i finally order my pistol :) Thank you.

• Head Moderator

I have only used Abbey gas, I have a NBB pistol so this Abby Predator gas works well for me

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/abbey-predator-144a-gas-700ml-134a-replacement

The Abbey Predator Ultra (red label) is also good. Generally I avoid anything Nuprol; their gas is probably fine and I have no experience with it.

7 minutes ago, Marauder211 said:

So Nuprol is okay to use? Okay, i'll get some when i finally order my pistol :) Thank you.

I would say so, used it in a bunch of pistols and my GBBR with zero issues. Abbey is good too though!

Abbey's oil is fantastic, i swear by them. But i've heard that Abbey Predator is too powerful for a pistol.

Whoever warned you about nuprol gas needs to give their head a wobble. It’s the only thing nuprol that’s worth buying. I used green for a while but switched over to black which I now use year round. 

Just now, E21A said:

Whoever warned you about nuprol gas needs to give their head a wobble. It’s the only thing nuprol that’s worth buying. I used green for a while but switched over to black which I now use year round. 

In his defense he had a really bad experience with their gas. But i've seen loads use it without issue so maybe he had a bad batch.

Just now, Marauder211 said:

In his defense he had a really bad experience with their gas. But i've seen loads use it without issue so maybe he had a bad batch.

Can probably chalk that up to user error 😂

Nuprol Gas is fine but a little 'wet', they say it helps lubricate the RIF but IMHO it's only going to really lubricate where you don't want it lubricated (specifically the barrel & bucking).

IMHO the parts you would want to lubricate are easily done by hand in places the gas isn't really going to be effective at doing and you'd be wanting to use something more viscous than what's presesnt in the gas can for those areas.

But it's fine to use either way, just means the bucking and barrel gets filthy and sticky quickly leading to more maintenance.

It may shorten the life of the bucking too... and you'd still want to manually lubricate the other parts by hand either way.

• Supporters

I just use propane in all my gas guns , but always make sure I stick a couple of drops of silicon oil in the valve before I screw on the filler cap . 

The best green gas is propane. Cheaper, more consistent and not full of shite as @Immortal pointed out. 

10 hours ago, Wo1f said:

The best green gas is propane. Cheaper, more consistent and not full of shite as @Immortal pointed out. 

10 hours ago, Druid799 said:

I just use propane in all my gas guns , but always make sure I stick a couple of drops of silicon oil in the valve before I screw on the filler cap . 

Continuing on the discussion of Propane and hijacking the thread a little, for those of you that use Propane, how do you go about it? Do you buy a can of Coleman's and refill it with a large Calor cannister. I know you have to use the airsoft innovations adapter but what about filling the propane bottle back up?

• Supporters
32 minutes ago, UKCYukarin said:

Continuing on the discussion of Propane and hijacking the thread a little, for those of you that use Propane, how do you go about it? Do you buy a can of Coleman's and refill it with a large Calor cannister. I know you have to use the airsoft innovations adapter but what about filling the propane bottle back up?

I don’t , if a pressurized metal container says ‘do not re-fill’ then it says so for a reason ? I know lots will say “it’s perfectly safe “ and “it’s really easy to do” and I’m sure it is UNTILL it goes wrong so me personally I don’t think it’s worth the risk for the amount of gas I use .

5 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

I don’t , if a pressurized metal container says ‘do not re-fill’ then it says so for a reason ? I know lots will say “it’s perfectly safe “ and “it’s really easy to do” and I’m sure it is UNTILL it goes wrong so me personally I don’t think it’s worth the risk for the amount of gas I use .

Fair enough, so you just keep purchasing new bottles of Colemans?

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, UKCYukarin said:

Fair enough, so you just keep purchasing new bottles of Colemans?

Coleman’s/Rothenberger/Vortex , what ever I can find cheapest , there more expensive than a can of ‘Airsoft gas’ BUT they last a lot longer so I think it works out cheaper for me .

• Supporters
47 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Coleman’s/Rothenberger/Vortex , what ever I can find cheapest , there more expensive than a can of ‘Airsoft gas’ BUT they last a lot longer so I think it works out cheaper for me .

What Tony said, commercial/industrial tins of propane contain waaaayy more gas than the Airsoft branded stuff, plus its purity is guaranteed for optimal temperature control when braising/soldering joints when plumbing etc.

I started off with a can of Puff Dino. Cheap and pretty good.

When I bought a couple of Maruis I started to use Abbey 144a in higher temperatures and Predator Ultra when it was cold.

I also have a couple of WE G17s. I bought Nuprol 2.0 for them and 3.0 for the colder weather. They seem to perform about the same.

Nuprol gas seems OK to me. 

I bought two cans of ASG Competition Ultra a long time ago. I have used a little in an AW Hicapa, but it appears not to contain lubricant, and I added a little Abbey silicone to the mags when I used it. Wolf doesn't like the stuff, and because it lacks lube, I will not be buying more.

What are the alternatives? Could somebody come up with some brand names please?

I imagine all these green gases come out of one or two Chinese and Taiwanese factories.

The propane I buy from the handyman’s is £8.40 so it’s cheaper and lasts longer. 

Everything ASG makes is shite. They have a 10% butane content which is lighter fluid and it seems to drop pressure and increase cooldown. On a gbbr there’s a considerable difference between asg gas and Nuprol in my testing. I’m sure it’s fine in a TM pistol, but so is my propane. That and I’d rather fund ISIS than ASG. 

18 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

The propane I buy from the handyman’s is £8.40 so it’s cheaper and lasts longer. 

Everything ASG makes is shite. They have a 10% butane content which is lighter fluid and it seems to drop pressure and increase cooldown. On a gbbr there’s a considerable difference between asg gas and Nuprol in my testing. I’m sure it’s fine in a TM pistol, but so is my propane. That and I’d rather fund ISIS than ASG. 

Now, i don't know anything about their gas, but i use their BBs (ASG Blasters), and i've not had a single issue with them in my mags. But i'll be sure to avoid their gas if it causes issues in consumption. P.s. i don't know what butane would do in a GBB.

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, Marauder211 said:

Now, i don't know anything about their gas, but i use their BBs (ASG Blasters), and i've not had a single issue with them in my mags. But i'll be sure to avoid their gas if it causes issues in consumption. P.s. i don't know what butane would do in a GBB.

With BBs remember they don’t make them they buy them in (as they do with EVERYTHING they sell) , and seeing as good quality BBs are at the core of shooting if they started causing problems due to bb quality it could kill there business dead if everyone turned against there brand ? 

I know they make their own AEGs, i nearly bought one (instead i got a Classic Army as it was more available that the CM16 Raider 2.0 or the ASG M15). I've had better luck with their BBs than i did the Ares BBs.

11 minutes ago, Marauder211 said:

I know they make their own AEGs, i nearly bought one (instead i got a Classic Army as it was more available that the CM16 Raider 2.0 or the ASG M15). I've had better luck with their BBs than i did the Ares BBs.

No, they don’t. 

On 12/04/2019 at 21:18, Immortal said:

Nuprol Gas is fine but a little 'wet', they say it helps lubricate the RIF but IMHO it's only going to really lubricate where you don't want it lubricated (specifically the barrel & bucking).

IMHO the parts you would want to lubricate are easily done by hand in places the gas isn't really going to be effective at doing and you'd be wanting to use something more viscous than what's presesnt in the gas can for those areas.

But it's fine to use either way, just means the bucking and barrel gets filthy and sticky quickly leading to more maintenance.

It may shorten the life of the bucking too... and you'd still want to manually lubricate the other parts by hand either way.

So in terms of keeping the mag and piston seals from drying out what do you recommend i do when using Coleman's? I have Abbey 35 heavy oil as well for the pistol.

Archived