Sniper rifle talk

WackyIraqi
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Good day !

so here is the situation.

i am looking for a spring bolt rifle and I have rounded up the usual suspects.

I do not want an SSG24 or an SRS

I have rounded up the following and was wondering if you guys had any insight as to  which is the best way to go.

Modify M24

TM VSR-10 G Spec 

TM M40A5

Ares MSR 

which do do you think is going to be decent out of the box? Which do you think is built like a tank? Which one is the better platform for upgrades to make it something truly remarkable?

is there one that is a no brainer ? 

Am I wrong to dismiss the SSG24 and SRS?

If you had to choose only one to be your rifle which would you choose ?

Any particular upgrades you think are a must ? 

I know that parts of this topic have been covered in other threads and I have looked and read through some of them. I was just hoping I can consolidate what you’d think so I have a better platform to work on.

Thanks in advance

• Supporters

Really depends how techy you are, and how much time you want to spend in and out of the internals getting it to perform exactly as it should.

The modify M24 is the SSG without branding on and a few choice mods, it’s by far the cheapest way to get a semi decent sniper.

Best performing sniper out of the box is the SRS, however you can upgrade a VSR to perform much better than this.

Having owned an SSG, an SRS, a VSR-10 and a T10 I guess I have a modest view on all of them.  The ergonomics of the SSG suited me, the SRS is best out of the box, the VSR is easiest to upgrade, and the T10 is a VSR in different clothing.

This he

6 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Really depends how techy you are, and how much time you want to spend in and out of the internals getting it to perform exactly as it should.

The modify M24 is the SSG without branding on and a few choice mods, it’s by far the cheapest way to get a semi decent sniper.

Best performing sniper out of the box is the SRS, however you can upgrade a VSR to perform much better than this.

Having owned an SSG, an SRS, a VSR-10 and a T10 I guess I have a modest view on all of them.  The ergonomics of the SSG suited me, the SRS is best out of the box, the VSR is easiest to upgrade, and the T10 is a VSR in different clothing.

This helps a lot actually the modify and M40 have been my favourites so far 

• Supporters

Wild suggestion: Well MB-03 and replace most of the (VSR) internals.  Since you'll end up doing that anyway, why pay extra for parts that will just end up in your bits box?

The stock trigger set and sear is some sort of metal.  Throw in an aluminiminium piston and a springier spring, replace the hop unit and barrel, throw some spacers in there or make up tape ones, and what more do you need?

Good sniper rifles are built, not bought. (With the exception of the SRS) 

Pick the body style you like, check decent upgrades are readily available, then buy the cheapest version. Buy upgrades, fit upgrades, shout swear and hate yourself, tinker and repeat until you have a good sniper. 

25 minutes ago, E21A said:

Good sniper rifles are built, not bought.

In hindsight I would have done this given the amount I replaced but as a learning curve I enjoyed replacing parts and seeing the difference they made.

If not wanting to build or replace much or too much then SRS seems to be the choice of ease (from what I've read mostly here).

If you have the budget, like teching plus the format and the plethora of choice parts then build a VSR Remington style rifle.

If you want to do it in stages then I'd probably opt for a GSPEC or equivalent. But be aware out the box, it will be challenging to skirmish however that can also make it fun if you like the challenge. This is the route I took. It's a fun journey.

I think from what I gathered from this I am interested in the VSR 10 and the L96 both of which are readily available cheap and with plenty of upgrades.

@Rogerborg got me thinking about the Well MB03 as something to build on. I was also looking at the TM L96 to build on as well. I am pretty good with my hands (I build guitars :)) so I am hoping this will be a fun journey. I think overall in my quest for something Unique the only way is to make it myself. 

So so here is a last thought .. does it make a huge difference which brand you use as a starting point? Is there an advantage to starting with a TM L96 over something from Taiwan gun ? 

7 minutes ago, WackyIraqi said:

So so here is a last thought .. does it make a huge difference which brand you use as a starting point? Is there an advantage to starting with a TM L96 over something from Taiwan gun ? 

No, not really. You’re going to bin off all the bits that make a TM a TM, so not really worth the increased initial outlay. Might as well save the money to spend on upgrade parts 

Specna arms.... they are now doing springer snipers on gunfire.pl..... i hear their aeg's are good.  Reckon they are worth a punt for £80 odd ?

Let me just say that if your going for a WELL clone of the VSR that the cylinder group is offspec.

However airsoftpro make parts for the WELL spec so your good for parts, just don't expect to be able to use PDI, Laylax, Action army e.t.c cylinder parts.

Personally think its best to avoid the TM L96 and it clones simply because the BB loading ramp is a bit dodge. Someone could prove me wrong though!

2 hours ago, UKCYukarin said:

Let me just say that if your going for a WELL clone of the VSR that the cylinder group is offspec.

However airsoftpro make parts for the WELL spec so your good for parts, just don't expect to be able to use PDI, Laylax, Action army e.t.c cylinder parts.

Personally think its best to avoid the TM L96 and it clones simply because the BB loading ramp is a bit dodge. Someone could prove me wrong though!

The MB08 from Well is an L96 semi clone (Type96) which doesn’t have the offset magazine (no silly loading mechanism) but you are limited in parts to APS2 platform (Airsoft pro and PPS) the cylinder piston, springs etc is L96 compatible but the trigger is special.

Archived