Im looking for a good GBBR under and around £200

OliG
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ik that's a pretty low budget but I am looking for one, preferably with a metal body(doesn't matter much though.). I have been looking at the Army Armament R36 for a while now, its only £120 and I have heard good things about it, even on this forum, I was thinking of getting it and then upgrading it. I also saw the JG M4 GBBR with a full metal body, on OnlyBBGuns but it is out of stock and that shop doesn't seem trustworthy. The gun has lots of good reviews from what I have seen and I would really like it but can't find it anywhere else in the UK. The reason for the budget is I'm a teenager and dont feel like dishing out tonnes of money on an airsoft gun and I would really like a GBB for multiple reasons, including the recoil and enjoyment of one. Thank you for reading.

You want a gbbr for “personal reasons”?

you can’t get a good gbbr for that price. You can just about get a good pistol for one. 

Sorry bud, zero chance of buying something decent and new at that budget.

Double it, you’ll get a new gbb SMG for around that price. Be prepared for £40-50+ for mags new as well.

2 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Sorry bud, zero chance of buying something decent and new at that budget.

Double it, you’ll get a new gbb SMG for around that price. Be prepared for £40-50+ for mags new as well.

I dont really care much about the price of the mags. Really I am just looking for a gun that has a nice kick from the recoil and upgradability.

I have seen polymer body versions of the JG M4 with a polymer body, do you know if I can put a metal body on it?

4 minutes ago, OliG said:

I dont really care much about the price of the mags. Really I am just looking for a gun that has a nice kick from the recoil and upgradability.

I have seen polymer body versions of the JG M4 with a polymer body, do you know if I can put a metal body on it?

Then buy a KWA/WE/TM, in ascending order or excellence. 

Be prepared to spend well in excess of £1K with quality upgrades.

What you could do, when you’re 18 and you have your UKARA, is buy the JG, run it for a week then give us review of it 😂😂😂

• Supporters

KEEP CALM It's THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS - KEEP CALM AND CARRY ___(1).png

14 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Then buy a KWA/WE/TM, in ascending order or excellence. 

Be prepared to spend well in excess of £1K with quality upgrades.

What you could do, when you’re 18 and you have your UKARA, is buy the JG, run it for a week then give us review of it 😂😂😂

Yh I was looking at WE, I dont know why I put my budget at £150, Its actually £200. I might actually go for the JG polymer body.

If this is your first RIF, get a bloody AEG mate, theres a reason why everyone says you should get one as a 1st gun, its cos they've made the bloody mistake of buying a niche gun first (springer or gas) and regret it.

If this isnt your first rif and you know what your doing, buy a preowned WE m4. They're ok but need work.

Garbage one? Probably. Good ones? Narp.

You think you want a GBB rifle right now because it'll be like an fps game: running and gunning; 360 mlg no scope; tactical reloads. You think it will be cool that your gun has recoil. You think you'll be that badass who's running amock on the field and no one can touch you. Nope. It doesn't happen. Your 30 rnds a mag will be seriously outperformed by some random noob rental with a 500 rnd hicap mag. Soon, you will get frustrated. You will get frustrated by your constant reloads. You will get frustrated that your BBs are falling so short that throwing them would be a more viable solution. You will be frustrated at the constant gas recharges and venting issues. You will desperately desire something that will just shoot straight.

Get an AEG.

25 minutes ago, OliG said:

I dont really care much about the price of the mags.

See that is the downfall... say the GBBR is a lowball £300 (which is a stretch) you'll need to spend the same again on mags. It's always worth considering when going gas as it doubles the price and it'll be the same for any GBBR you end up with tbh.

You can't play a game with one mag (if you intend to...I get the feeling you don't?). You could shoot in the garden at best but again only one mag is tedious and you'll spend more time reloading, gassing it and weighting for the temp of it to recoup after it's dumped it's load.

It'll be seriously dissapointing... and so will a £150 GBBR. You get what you pay for and GBBRs need deep pockets to buy and run.

Forget upgrading a cheap one and put the money towards a decent one. Upgrades for a cheap one will be far and few between anyways... 👍

Just now, Immortal said:

See that is the downfall... say the GBBR is a lowball £300 (which is a stretch) you'll need to spend the same again on mags. It's always worth considering when going gas as it doubles the price and it'll be the same for any GBBR you end up with tbh.

You can't play a game with one mag (if you intend to...I get the feeling you don't?). You could shoot in the garden at best but again only one mag is tedious and you'll spend more time reloading, gassing it and weighting for the temp of it to recoup after it's dumped it's load.

It'll be seriously dissapointing... and so will a £150 GBBR. You get what you pay for and GBBRs need deep pockets to buy and run.

Forget upgrading a cheap one and put it towards a decent one. Upgrades for cheap one will be far and few between anyways... 👍

Ik that but I have heard you can just import them in bulk for cheaper sometimes, especially with M4 mags apparently. I was also looking for one that came with more then 1 mag as well. I can buy mags later down the line if I need more and cant get a good deal on them.

KJW/ASG KC02 is a good GBBR DMR for an extra £50. Works good out the box and gets better with upgrades. Was my first GBBR. Takes real steal AR grips and stocks. After market parts are slowly growing for them. Mags are relatively inexpensive and easy to work on.

32331939_1930040537030136_8166095292106539008_o.jpg

1 minute ago, Cipher-032 said:

KJW/ASG KC02 is a good GBBR DMR for an extra £50. Works good out the box and gets better with upgrades. Was my first GBBR. Takes real steal AR grips and stocks. After market parts are slowly growing for them. Mags are relatively inexpensive and easy to work on.

Thanks, looks good, I like the M4/AR style as well as most of them can take real parts e.g. rails and grips. Thanks for the suggestion.

2 minutes ago, Immortal said:

Well if you're mind is dead set then look at reviews on the tube as I don't think our words will make much of a difference and good luck. 👍

Thanks, also Ik it isn't much of a difference but my budget is around £200 not £150.

Kiddo, you’ve already made your mind up, just go buy the JG.

I get the whole wanting to make your own mistakes thing, most young men are the same, how else do you explain their behaviour (we all know, we’ve all been there).

Good luck, and don’t forget to come back and tell us how you get on.

37 minutes ago, AK47frizzle said:

You think you want a GBB rifle right now because it'll be like an fps game: running and gunning; 360 mlg no scope; tactical reloads. You think it will be cool that your gun has recoil. You think you'll be that badass they're run amock on the field and no one can touch you. Nope. It doesn't happen. Your 30 rnds a mag will be seriously outperformed by some random noob rental with a 500 rnd hicap mag. Soon, you will get frustrated. You will get frustrated by your constant reloads. You will get frustrated that your BBs are falling so short that throwing them would be a more viable solution. You will be frustrated at the constant gas recharges and venting issues. You will desperately desire something that will just shoot straight.

Get an AEG.

37 minutes ago, AK47frizzle said:

You think you want a GBB rifle right now because it'll be like an fps game: running and gunning; 360 mlg no scope; tactical reloads. You think it will be cool that your gun has recoil. You think you'll be that badass they're run amock on the field and no one can touch you. Nope. It doesn't happen. Your 30 rnds a mag will be seriously outperformed by some random noob rental with a 500 rnd hicap mag. Soon, you will get frustrated. You will get frustrated by your constant reloads. You will get frustrated that your BBs are falling so short that throwing them would be a more viable solution. You will be frustrated at the constant gas recharges and venting issues. You will desperately desire something that will just shoot straight.

Get an AEG.

I can deal with 50 rounds in 1 mag, it teaches you to not miss and not to get shot. Both the guns I am looking at are accurate enough, I have seen them hit a target each time at 70m.

1 minute ago, OliG said:

I can deal with 50 rounds in 1 mag, it teaches you to not miss and not to get shot. Both the guns I am looking at are accurate enough, I have seen them hit a target each time at 70m.

🙈😂🙈😂🙈

It seems like your not looking for advice just people to validate your choice. 

No one thinks its a good idea to buy a GBBR for their first gun. If you absolutely want a GBB gun at this price point get a TM pistol. 

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, OliG said:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, no. 70m!  70ft maybe, 70m is further than my TM shoots. 

If you consider yourself a good tech and are willing to fix issues and work on setting the rifle up, I would get the WE M4 or scar. They are very good systems in terms of efficiency and reliability and can hold up to the GHK and Western Arms systems with some tuning. However, the shortcomings of the WE is the quality of parts used, which is where the teching comes in. Be prepared to replace parts that break more frequently than you would with a GHK or G&P. The good thing is, WE parts are very easily available through milspecsolutions and KY Airsoft. I have been using GBBRs for over 10 years now and I am now pretty much fluent in how GBBRs work, I am confident enough for fix any issues that come up with the WE. Id look at the WE systems as projects rather than workhorses. The actual system is excellent, it's just the quality of parts used which is what you pay for. 

I have owned many GBBRs in the past from WE, GHK, Vipertech, g&p prime, g&p WOC, King arms WA, western arms and AGM. There is no such thing as a perfect gun as it all depends on what you are looking for. I now only use WE GBBRs and own 4 WE M4s and a WE scar. I choose WE because the system is reliable and parts are easily available. Yes, the GHK and vipertechs are more durable, but parts are much harder to find. You will need replacements no matter which brand you pick, that's just part of the GBBR life (huge metal bolt hammering back and forth, high gas pressures, smashing BBs into the chamber). The only difference between brands is how often you need replacements.

I buy my WEs as boneyard rifles for £100-150, and have never bought a new rifle in all my 11 years in Airsoft. From that I've gained lots of teching experience, dealing with problems yourself. I buy mags whenever they  come up below £20, so 200 is an achievable target. But that's because I'm confident in my teching and have a huge box of spares that I can use. So think carefully what you put yourself into by choosing a WE over a GHK, to name one.

There are 3 things that need upgrading on a fresh WE. In order of priority:

Nozzle - Poseidon zero 1

Barrel - any vsr10 tightbore

Hop up - any vsr10 hard bucking (hard enough to not get shredded by the nozzle slamming back and forth)

Bucking - maple leaf concave

Expect to shoot about 2000 rounds before having to replace the bolt carrier and trigger group.

In terms of performance, I'd say a well tuned WE shoots extremely well. All my WEs have RA Tech tbbs and maple leaf buckings/nubs. I have also have a TM scar with a stock hop and Tanio Koba twist barrel and a heavily upgraded custom built M4 AEG and I can happily say that it matches them in range. The only thing u don't get with a gbb is the consistency and round count. On a good day, you'll outrange a good AEG. On a bad day, youll shoot as far as a nice Glock. But it all depends on how well you can tune your gun for every environment. Check weather forecasts and setup your gun accordingly. A lot of work, but that's the fun part of using GBBRs. I have had so many people come up and ask if I was using a TM mws, but when I tell them it's a WE, they look shocked.

Think of the GHK as buying a Ferrari and the WE as buying an mx5 and tuning it up to match the Ferrari's lap times. 

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Heres a picture of my WE collection.

20190331_130845.jpg

• Supporters
14 hours ago, OliG said:

Army Armament R36

To be fair, there are a number of latin chaps and lady-chaps on YouTube shouting excitedly that it's el besto gunno evero.  Gun plus two mags is just £101 + delivery and extra mags are £25 each from TaiwanGun.

However, out of the box it looks to be scorchio! too, at significantly over 350fps.  You could try running it on weak gas, but then you might get issues with the blowback.  I wouldn't expect longevity, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised to be wrong on that either.  Airsoft toys, eh?

Thread here:

42 minutes ago, NoobyNico said:

I would get the WE M4 or scar.

Thanks, your reply was really helpful, I was looking at the WE Scar and I am now considering getting a boneyard one and fixing it up/upgrading it. I wouldn't mind doing that as I like the idea of upgrading it and taking it apart and changing it. It would be my first time doing it but what ever I get I plan on upgrading as ik there are gonna be some compromises at this price point.

40 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

To be fair, there are a number of latin chaps and lady-chaps on YouTube shouting excitedly that it's el besto gunno evero.  Gun plus two mags is just £101 + delivery and extra mags are £25 each from TaiwanGun.

However, out of the box it looks to be scorchio! too, at significantly over 350fps.  You could try running it on weak gas, but then you might get issues with the blowback.  I wouldn't expect longevity, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised to be wrong on that either.  Airsoft toys, eh?

Thread here:

That thread actually made me join this forum, I was gonna ask the guy if it lasted but then I realised he hasn't been online for 5 months. From what I have heard, the gun has better value and just as good as quality as the WE G39 after upgrading. I was going to get that and upgrade it as people have shown it shooting 200 feet with a new hop up rubber and some new upgrades. I like the fact its 400fps, I would just put an LFS in it so I can shoot at 350 and a bit more kick. I have also seen people HPA tap it. After upgrading, it looks like a pretty decent gun.

Just now, OliG said:

I am now considering getting a boneyard one and fixing it up/upgrading it. I wouldn't mind doing that as I like the idea of upgrading it and taking it apart and changing it. It would be my first time doing it but what ever I get I plan on upgrading as ik there are gonna be some compromises at this price point.

Just be aware that you will make mistakes and youwill 100% run into issues, especially if don't have much experience. Things such as: using the wrong gas for a given temperature can damage internals like the nozzle/bolt carrier. Not lubing/over-lubing, not allowing your nozzle to defreeze after gassing out, dirt or misalignment of the receivers causing your bolt to not seat properly in the chamber - leading to snapped nozzles.

All of these issues can be avoided once you learn all the ins and outs of a GBBR. With the correct usage and maintenance, you should be able to reach the 2000 round count without having to replace anything. With that said, running a GBBR can be very expensive, not only in the sense of having to buy loads of expensive mags, but also because an inexperienced user will have to go through a lot of spares. 

Even though the WE platform might be the cheapest decent one, it still adds up for reasons just explained.

My opinion is, go for it if you have the money and willingness for the GBBR investment, and 100% go for it if you already have a stable platform that you can rely on when the GBBR does go down. 

Having said that, I never touch my AEG and don't plan to other than to lend it to mates who need a gun. The GBBR experience makes it all worth it to me.

Archived