Jump to content
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and probably forgotten) thread.

Recommended Posts

Hi all do any of you run night vision on your guns for night games and if so what?  

Reason I ask is I have an old set of NV binoculars that can be taken apart and mounted on a rail 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have a gen 1 scope i bought on here about a year ago, yet to get to a game to field it though there's one this month.

 

from previous night games it's not all that common, but any nv is going to be an advantage over no nv. only thing to be wary of is folk running around with very bright torches flashing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes down to it night vision is just dick waving , yes it will give you a slight advantage but it’s literally once in a blue moon(excuse the pun) you’ll actually use it and even if you do get an opportunity to use it as the hamster said any advantage you’ve got will very very quickly be canceled out by the other players with flashlights , we’ve all seen it happen , soon as it starts getting even remotely dark everybody and his dog that’s got a flashlight starts waving them about like there lightsabers and seeing how far they can illuminate with it !🤦‍♂️

NV works best on ‘sneaky sneaky missions’ and quite frankly 99% of Airsofters no matter how ‘operator’ they think they are couldn’t spell ‘sneaky sneaky mission’ let alone pull it off ! 🤣🤣🤣

BUT and this is the important bit if you want to use it , then crack on its your fun’n’games so do what ever you want , just don’t expect to suddenly become the god of war because of it .😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I'd be using it to have quick scans down corridors looking for hidden players rather then constant use if I was too use it. And airsofters can't be any worse than all the sea fishermen with their head torches while Im bass fishing 🎣 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bully78 said:

Hi all do any of you run night vision on your guns for night games and if so what?  

Reason I ask is I have an old set of NV binoculars that can be taken apart and mounted on a rail 

I'm guessing the binocs you've got are "Generation 1", meaning they rely on an external, powerful source of light (this could be an infrared emitter on the unit itself, a standalone torch etc) for you to be able to see anything at all.

 

IR emitters are invisible to the naked eye. This is great as you can illuminate where you need to go etc. However IR is not invisible to other night vision (obviously) - so if anyone else is wearing NV then you'll be lit up like a christmas tree. It's not very stealthy from that point of view.

 

Personally I think it could be quite fun if you were to take them with you to a standard walk-on skirmish, in winter so you have an hour or so of a nighttime game. I doubt anyone else would be bringing NV with them, and if you're sticking to boundaries and not buildings you're unlikely to find someone using a torch all the time.

 

 

E: I agree with @Druid799 re: them being best used on "sneaky sneaky" missions - but the more sophisticated an event you turn up to, the bigger the chance people are using NV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their gen 2 so no extra light needed I've used them as spotters while out rabbit shooting in the past  and they work pretty good. It's just an idea at the moment but they may prove useful at some point. Thanks for taking the time to answer lads 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found it really, really comes down to how dark the place you're playing is as to the level of use and advantage that you gain.

 

Played a night game at the Mall yeeeears ago and there was barely any lights switched on, thought to myself "NV would be mega useful, I can't see squat in here".  Played another night game about a year or so ago shortly before it closed, brought my PVS-14.. and they'd switched on way more lights so it was of hardly any use.  Better game for 98% of the player base though so it made complete sense.

 

Also did a weekend event some years back at your typical army training village, no lights on anywhere on the playing field at night, didn't have NV but it would've been mega handy.  Played another weekend event at a different site a couple of years after that, brought my PVS along.. and there were lights on all over the place both indoors and outdoors.  Got some use out of the device but not much.

 

It's the exact same as picking camo, you're best off just assessing the site ahead of time.  Ask people or play a game and see what it's like.  For example, what I'll personally do is look at site pics before playing somewhere if I've not been before and if it's a spring time/summer game on a very grassy site I'll break out the Multicam and other light green-dominant patterns.  If it's a non-grassy woodland site in december and it's just mud and bare bushes and dead leaves then I'll go Coyote Brown, AOR1, Kryptek Highlander etc.  Same sort of notion applies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

When it comes down to it night vision is just dick waving , yes it will give you a slight advantage but it’s literally once in a blue moon(excuse the pun) you’ll actually use it and even if you do get an opportunity to use it as the hamster said any advantage you’ve got will very very quickly be canceled out by the other players with flashlights , we’ve all seen it happen , soon as it starts getting even remotely dark everybody and his dog that’s got a flashlight starts waving them about like there lightsabers and seeing how far they can illuminate with it !🤦‍♂️

NV works best on ‘sneaky sneaky missions’ and quite frankly 99% of Airsofters no matter how ‘operator’ they think they are couldn’t spell ‘sneaky sneaky mission’ let alone pull it off ! 🤣🤣🤣

BUT and this is the important bit if you want to use it , then crack on its your fun’n’games so do what ever you want , just don’t expect to suddenly become the god of war because of it .😉

 

I assume you're answering from a Skirmish point of view?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

When it comes down to it night vision is just dick waving , yes it will give you a slight advantage but it’s literally once in a blue moon(excuse the pun) you’ll actually use it and even if you do get an opportunity to use it as the hamster said any advantage you’ve got will very very quickly be canceled out by the other players with flashlights , we’ve all seen it happen , soon as it starts getting even remotely dark everybody and his dog that’s got a flashlight starts waving them about like there lightsabers and seeing how far they can illuminate with it !🤦‍♂️

NV works best on ‘sneaky sneaky missions’ and quite frankly 99% of Airsofters no matter how ‘operator’ they think they are couldn’t spell ‘sneaky sneaky mission’ let alone pull it off ! 🤣🤣🤣

BUT and this is the important bit if you want to use it , then crack on its your fun’n’games so do what ever you want , just don’t expect to suddenly become the god of war because of it .😉

 

 

my plan is very much a case of find a bush and become a living land mine. which tbh is pretty much the same as my daytime tactics :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SgtTalbert said:

 

I assume you're answering from a Skirmish point of view?

Yup seen them try to be used at ‘open’ night event and at a mil-sim , and as I did say they can help a bit but on the whole not much of an advantage unless your playing ‘land mines’ like @Adolf Hamster does then I still think there of little real use bar moving around in the dark without tripping over stuff !

Admittedly the ones I used were years ago so very old tech but I’d still say you need hrs and hrs of proper training to use them effectively due to the distortion they creat to your vision and general spacial awareness  .

Me personally I do think that unless your average S’ofter is sat still in an OP type scenario then they’ll be at more of a disadvantage than having an advantage for these reasons .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely once you start firing tracers they know where you are anyways. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sniperslucky said:

Surely once you start firing tracers they know where you are anyways. :ph34r:

 

suppressor based tracer units+night shoot=easy mode (for me, the guy shooting at you :P )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

 

suppressor based tracer units+night shoot=easy mode (for me, the guy shooting at you :P )

Noob question here but are there any suppressor based tracers that actually suppress as well. I am debating the umarex 1911 Elite force but it needs to be quieter for sniping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, WackyIraqi said:

Noob question here but are there any suppressor based tracers that actually suppress as well. I am debating the umarex 1911 Elite force but it needs to be quieter for sniping. 

 

suppressors only really do anything substantial on non-blow back guns like the mk23 or an hpa. in an aeg or gbb most of the noise is coming from the action cycling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WackyIraqi said:

But that kick back !!!

 

tis the trade we all make.

 

if you're using it as a sidearm for sniping then it probably won't be too much of an issue if you work on making your main nice and quiet and use the pistol for getting you out of a tight spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

 

tis the trade we all make.

 

if you're using it as a sidearm for sniping then it probably won't be too much of an issue if you work on making your main nice and quiet and use the pistol for getting you out of a tight spot.

 

Thats the idea and it is probably also more suitable for DMR which I am building a rig for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WackyIraqi said:

 

 

Thats the idea and it is probably also more suitable for DMR which I am building a rig for. 

 

mate of mine runs a polarstar'd sr25 and a 1911, the sr is a beast with the big suppressor on it really quiet, the 1911 less so but for shtf moments it's handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Yup seen them try to be used at ‘open’ night event and at a mil-sim , and as I did say they can help a bit but on the whole not much of an advantage unless your playing ‘land mines’ like @Adolf Hamster does then I still think there of little real use bar moving around in the dark without tripping over stuff !

Admittedly the ones I used were years ago so very old tech but I’d still say you need hrs and hrs of proper training to use them effectively due to the distortion they creat to your vision and general spacial awareness  .

Me personally I do think that unless your average S’ofter is sat still in an OP type scenario then they’ll be at more of a disadvantage than having an advantage for these reasons .

 

I've had the opposite experience, I found NVG very useful at Milsims at night games, great for navigation and ID'ing targets. However, I've moved onto helmet mounted thermal which really helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SgtTalbert said:

 

I've had the opposite experience, I found NVG very useful at Milsims at night games, great for navigation and ID'ing targets. However, I've moved onto helmet mounted thermal which really helps

May I ask which model of thermal monocular you're using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

May I ask which model of thermal monocular you're using?

 

FLIR BREACH PTQ136

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, SgtTalbert said:

 

FLIR BREACH PTQ136

I was hoping you'd say that :D A friend recommended it to me a few weeks back. 60fps good enough for using "actively" - i.e. moving your head around quickly, rather than static surveillance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

I was hoping you'd say that :D A friend recommended it to me a few weeks back. 60fps good enough for using "actively" - i.e. moving your head around quickly, rather than static surveillance?

 

Personally yes, I've had no issue moving about with it. Used it a few times on night games and also at Catterick (where it really came into its own)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and probably forgotten) thread.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...