Can I buy a RIF and make it two tone?

jzmalexander
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi I'm new to the forum and don't know too much about airsoft. I'm 16, and therefore cannot get UKARA or an RIF. The gun I am planning to buy in Two tone is not in stock on any UK website, so I went and found one on a different website, however, it was not two toned. I was wondering if it is legal to get someone to buy it for me, and then spray it (Is this unnecessary? Two toning and UKARA are to protect the seller from selling to the wrong people right?)? Also the gun I was planning on getting was the CYMA CM.352L (Non-full metal), If any of you know of a website that sells this in two tone (blue) and has it in stock, please tell me. Thanks!

• Head Moderator

It is illegal for anyone under 18 to buy or be sold an airsoft gun.  

Assume that you have a parent or person over 18 who will buy the gun and then gift it to you.  To buy a RIF they must have a valid defence, i.e. site membership, otherwise they can only buy an IF (Two Tone) gun.

If they can buy a RIF there is no need to ruin it with two tone paint because they have the defence and are gifting it.  Note, gifting means you not paying them money to buy the gun.

Have a read of this

2 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

It is illegal for anyone under 18 to buy or be sold an airsoft gun.  

Assume that you have a parent or person over 18 who will buy the gun and then gift it to you.  To buy a RIF they must have a valid defence, i.e. site membership, otherwise they can only buy an IF (Two Tone) gun.

If they can buy a RIF there is no need to ruin it with two tone paint because they have the defence and are gifting it.  Note, gifting means you not paying them money to buy the gun.

Have a read of this

Thanks! It's ok to have someone who is over 18 (such as my dad) to buy a two tone gun as it is not a RIF, correct? I think that is what I'll do as I am not too bothered about the colour.

• Head Moderator
3 minutes ago, jzmalexander said:

Thanks! It's ok to have someone who is over 18 (such as my dad) to buy a two tone gun as it is not a RIF, correct? 

Yes, that is correct.

• Supporters

As above, although I'd caution that tri-shotties can be a bit hit-and-miss, literally.  Some folk get ones with functioning hop units that give them decent range, others come with no functional hop, or misfeeding issues, or very low FPS.

They can be a laugh in CQB games, but are badly outmatched in woodland, and are not something that I'd want to have to rely on.

• Supporters

As you have mentioned,

Yes your dad can buy you a two toned IF or if he has UKARA a RIF (assuming he is over 18).

He must gift that IF or RIF to you, no exchange of money, for example he bought it for your birthday.

If he somehow manages to procure a RIF (say in black), there is no need for you to two tone it unless that's what you are after.

As someone else mentioned above about the CYMA CM.352L. CYMA only really make one kind of gun that's decent and that's their AK AEGs. Tri shotguns like those are very hit and miss, more miss if anything. Only shotgun i would trust are the TM ones and if you want actual fun the CAM 870 ones, i have an SAI CAM 870, yes its fun watching 12 BBs + the plastic wad + the paper cap and the faces of the target when i shoot it at them, then manually loading the next shell as the spent one flies out of the gun (in a shell catcher, them shells are expensive).

• Supporters

"As such, you'll have no problem hitting targets from 100 meters away [with a tri-shot]."

C3Yzbs6.gif

Honestly, good luck with that.  You might get a Unicorn Gun that does perform as advertised, some folk do.  But there are a lot of very cheap plastic parts in there, any one of which can ruin your day.

If you absolutely can't stretch to more than a shotgun (plus at least 6 more shells), then you can have fun with one under the right circumstances.  However, a day where you're outranged and outgunned by everyone else on the field isn't going to be great value for money.

As usual I'd point at the CYMA M4 AEGs as being the cheapest gun that makes you moderately competitive.  £95 delivered gets you a two-tone M4 with a hi-cap magazine and a basic but functional battery and charger.  Add your eye/face pro and some boots and you're good to go. They're not great, but they do put BBs in the direction that you're pointing, and all of the internals can be upgraded later if you're so inclined.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-m4-ar15-m16-variants?*5=n&*inst=y

• Supporters

7 hours ago, jzmalexander said:

I have heard good reviews of CYMA shotguns though ( https://tacticalsergeant.com/airsoft-gear/best-airsoft-shotgun/#tab-con-2) and I do not want to spend too much money on airsoft, and shotguns are quite a cheap option. In longer ranges its not so great, but the field I've looked at is not extremely large and has CQB areas.

Hhhmm i wouldn't trust a reviews website that gets it wrong.

In the same page he reviews the "APS CAM870SF Shell Ejecting Zombie Hunter CQB CO2 Airsoft Shotgun" and says (and i quote) "Meanwhile, the magazine holds up to four shells and a single CO2 cartridge at any given time". Yes it holds 4 shells but it does NOT hold an CO2 cartridges in the gun, in MK1 and 3 CAM 870 the shells hold CO2, in MK2s the bolt holds a charge of CO2.

Yes, Mr Airsoftology has reivewed it too, even without sound i can only bet he is harping on about how great it is. I think he's ok as an Airsoft Youtube Celeb but frankly you could give him an airsoft gun made out of turds and he would tell you its better than anything TM or Krytac ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcXbEen_-8Y

Trust me we are trying to steer you away from bad products as we have tried and we have tested them already and know, we aren't trying to be arseholes about (it come across like that) but the adage old saying stands, buy nice or buy twice. You'll buy this gun, get totally out gunned (even in CQB) buy players running around with Combat Machines or Nuprol Defenders et al. You either hate the sport and quit it before you had a chance to enjoy it or you'll go out and get the CYMA M4 AEG for £95 which is about as low as you can go. If you had saved up and not spent the £40 of so on the Cyma shotgun, you would have had £140 to spend and get a nicer Nuprol or Combat Machine.

If you're heart is dead set on this CYMA shotgun then go for it, just avoid any shops with "BB" in their name such as Just BB Guns or BB Guns for Less et al.

However i'll say it now "I told you so!"

• Supporters

Mmm, I should stress that I'm not actually recommending the CYMA M4s: G&G Combat Machines are nicer.

But if you are counting every penny, then the CYMAs do come with everything you need to get started (except BBs, bin the small packet that comes with them).

On 09/04/2019 at 09:01, Rogerborg said:

Mmm, I should stress that I'm not actually recommending the CYMA M4s: G&G Combat Machines are nicer.

But if you are counting every penny, then the CYMAs do come with everything you need to get started (except BBs, bin the small packet that comes with them).

Have to say my CYMA M4 has been built like a brick shithouse, far better exterior quality than G&G, but the insides did need a little work to bring it up to the same level performance wise.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

far better exterior quality than G&G

Ummm.  Did you buy one of the "PJ" re-branded ones?  The sub-£100 M4s are made of recycled Big Traks.

On 12/04/2019 at 23:04, Rogerborg said:

Ummm.  Did you buy one of the "PJ" re-branded ones?  The sub-£100 M4s are made of recycled Big Traks.

Yeah mine’s a PJ, full metal build. 

• 3 weeks later...

If i was to buy a RIF without a UKARA, and then paint it to make it two tone, would skirmishing organisers have a problem with that? I know its illegal to Buy a RIF or a IF if you are under 18, but would they really care, as long as i had done a good job of converting into an IF? (the gun I'm looking at is the NOVRITSCH SSP1 and it only comes RIF)

• Mostly Retired Moderators
37 minutes ago, CrazyJay said:

I know its illegal to Buy a RIF or a IF if you are under 18

37 minutes ago, CrazyJay said:

If i was to buy a RIF without a UKARA..

How are you planning on buying a RIF, given that you don't have UKARA Or are under 18?

Also, UKARA only covers purchasing.. it's not up to site owners to enforce who should have a Two Tone or not.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, CrazyJay said:

the gun I'm looking at is the NOVRITSCH SSP1 and it only comes RIF

"United Kingdom: Please send your UKARA or add it to your order notes before sending."

Because if you don't, then Border Farce might just seize and destroy the RIF, and leave him out of pocket.  You can ask him if he'll send it without one, but I wouldn't expect him to.

As per L3wisD, if you can get your hands on a RIF or an IF, sites aren't going to give a stuff how you got it, just as long as you use (and transport) it sensibly.  There's no need to two-tone a RIF if you do manage to get your hands on one.

Here's what I'd suggest: go and play some airsoft.  Speak to folk at the site.  If you come across as legitimate, mature player, then you may find that a way presents itself to obtain something.

Archived