SE Tour Review: Airsoft GB (Essex)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Site Name: Airsoft GB

Contact details: 07841528333

Website Address: https://www.airsoftgb.com

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/AirsoftGB/

Site Address: The Bungalow, Hilliards Road, Great Bromley, Colchester, Essex, C07 7US

My battle buddy and I popped along to Airsoft GB today (06/04/2019). This was a site that I have had a few recommendations on and plenty of good reviews online. Not one bad review!

This is a small Urban site situation next to an old WW2 Radar Tower in the North Essex Flatlands. Its a pretty much flat site with banks surrounding it keeping away prying eyes. There are two areas that are fairly different, one is what appears is a flat large field which has been populated with tarpaulin/wooden obstacles/buildings of which there a fairly large amount for a small area, there are ditches, and small bits of grassland along with old railway tracks based within the perimeter of the field. There are some WW2 period buildings dotted around. The second area of the site is more of farmyard variety, it's small and lots of obstacles with sheds (That you are mostly barred from being in) a disused tractor collection and more rail detritus. Short, Medium and Long engagement distances. 

Both parts of the field have the very slightest smattering of trees on the edge of the skirmishing area. 

Good:

Marshalling: Marshalling was of a good standard, they made sure to listen to complaints and looked to act on them. There was almost always a Marshall around when you needed one. 

Safe Zone(s): The Safe zone was a bit of a laugh, its based in a farm yard with loud free range chickens running around. Players set up in whatever building they find, as such the players are given a reasonable amount of space. It didn't quite hold all of us comfortably in what was a sell out 130 people. But it did well enough to get a good mark. Pretty much everyone had a seat. 

Good Value: £20 is a pretty good price for a Skirmish of anyone's money. 

Saturday!: The regular skirmishes are all held on a Saturday for those Sunday challenged. 

Chrono: A mandatory chrono was in play. Guns were marked as to whether they were allowed in or not. Standard FPS rules apply, 350 Full auto, 450 DMR, 500 Bolty. 

Average: 

Safety Brief: Standard safety brief, no one got hurt during the day so probably did something right! 

Mission briefs: Teams were split up on entrance to skirmish area and were briefed separately out on the field. Nothing wrong with the briefs. 

Playing area: Kinda interesting, this reminds me of the sites in the USA where the main field is purpose built for the game. We haven't come across this sort of thing before. The site however is pretty small considering 130 people turned up. Very difficult to sneak up on others or go lone wolf. The lack of proper woodland was detrimental, though the amount of buildings and obstacles made up for it. 

Shop: The shop is open during the week as well as the skirmish. It's a nice building with some fairly decent stock, could do with some more rifles and pistols, but its well catered from terms of pouches and accessories. 

Bad: 

Hit taking: One of the worst sites I have seen for hit taking, a number of regulars refused to take their hits. This was experienced by myself, my battlebuddy and many others. 

Clientele: In the safe zone the clientele were perfectly friendly and approachable. However due to the aforementioned non hit taking, today was the worst for the amount of whining and complaining since I started the reviews. Swearing, confronting and non hit taking in retaliation of non hit taking. It was pretty awful and gave out bad vibes for the day.

Food: Food was standard all pork affair for breakfast, free teas and coffees. Lunch was standard burger and sausage options. My burger was undercooked and rubbery, battlebuddies was cooked better but still rubbery. I didn't see any vegetarian options advertised, but may have been available on request. 

Slow Turnaround: There were major delays in starting in the morning and between games.

Conclusion: 

We didn't particularly enjoy this site on this particular day, a lot of ill will amongst the players due to non hit taking sucked the life out of the games. It was a very slow start but got better as the day went on. We don't really know how to react to the site, I think due to the positive reviews I had seen beforehand, I had expected more. We felt that XSite - The Outpost whilst being smaller does the Urban setting better and of course includes the huge building in the mix. But the last two games were pretty good, lots of positive aggression and teamwork to get through layers of defences. 

I wouldn't say this is a particularly sniper friendly site (Despite having a certain Sniper YouTube celebrity at this Skirmish). More for long range AEG's. 

Bullpup Watch: Plenty! Two or three AUGs, L86 LSW, A Real Sword Type 97, 2 fake bullpup P90's and Famas.  

AirsoftGB.png

I would say you made the mistake of going to one of their regular skirmish days, ive always found that their tactical warfare days have better sportsmanship (including hit taking) than the skirmish days.

15 minutes ago, UKCYukarin said:

I would say you made the mistake of going to one of their regular skirmish days, ive always found that their tactical warfare days have better sportsmanship (including hit taking) than the skirmish days.

99% of what I review are standard Skirmish days. Plenty of other sites can make standard skirmish days work so I fail to see how it's my mistake ;)

Nice Review.. I've been looking for places that are more Urban in Essex. Are there any others you'd recommend?

6 minutes ago, Jayjay said:

Nice Review.. I've been looking for places that are more Urban in Essex. Are there any others you'd recommend?

At the moment no. There aren't a huge amount of sites at Essex. This is the most Urban I have been to so far in this particular county. Though if you want my favourite all round site then I do recommend Airsoft Plantation. Shooting out of a speeding offroad double decker bus is a hoot. 

3 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

At the moment no. There aren't a huge amount of sites at Essex. This is the most Urban I have been to so far in this particular county. Though if you want my favourite all round site then I do recommend Airsoft Plantation. Shooting out of a speeding offroad double decker bus is a hoot. 

I've tried there. Not Urban enough for me. Wish there were some better indoor/Urban sites in Essex :(

43 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

99% of what I review are standard Skirmish days. Plenty of other sites can make standard skirmish days work so I fail to see how it's my mistake ;)

Apologies didn't realise how harsh my tone was there, I can see your point, but I guess from site to site it varies, with regards to airsoft gb's tac days its essentially a normal skirm day minus the rentals and maybe a low ammo game thrown in.

• Supporters

How Urban do you wanna go? If CQB is what your after, there is nowhere as close as DTW Colchester, and it’s bloody cheap too! But the site size is about as big as the internal space of a double decker bus.

If your willing to travel Further afield, Tuddenham is a nice urban site.

On 06/04/2019 at 23:55, UKCYukarin said:

On 07/04/2019 at 00:09, Asomodai said:

I agree on both points however my play style suits their tac warfare days more so, so have never experienced their skirmish days but have to say the tac warefare days do have a very good rep. Strange that the hit taking didn't get sorted as even on the rare occasion a hit didn't seem to be called on a tac day the marshals were on it promptly and issues dissolved.

Might I also suggest trying RawWar which is run once a month just down the road from there (they've just had a referb)

On 08/04/2019 at 08:34, clumpyedge said:

Might I also suggest trying RawWar which is run once a month just down the road from there (they've just had a referb)

I think I am being silly here, but Raw War is the other side of the country!!

ok just found a bad facebook page for one in Colchester :D  

Cant seem to find any website or game info though...

9 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

I think I am being silly here, but Raw War is the other side of the country!!

ok just found a bad facebook page for one in Colchester :D  

Cant seem to find any website or game info though...

There isn’t a website, it’s all done through Facebook 

https://m.facebook.com/rawwarairsoft/

All games are first weekend of end of the month, best to join the group associated with the page

Archived