Specna Arms M4 midcap magazines

Tiercel

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So after my old mags that I bought 2nd hand many years ago of an unknown brand packed up and stopped feeding due to worn out springs, and the maple leaf monster springs out of stock everywhere for all eternity, I wanted some replacements.

Turns out magazines are bloody expensive, I didnt really want to pay £15-20 per mag. The G&G "blue" mags looked good, pack of 5 for £60 but thats still quite a lot. There were a few options for plain plastic ones at around £40-50 for a pack of 5 but I dont really want plastic ones. Then I stumbled across Gunfire.pl who were selling these. Seeing as my gun is Specna and its bloody good, I figured for the price these are definitely worth a try. Ordered a few other things from GF to make it worth the shipping (flat rate of about £10 to the UK), I was thoroughly impressed with the speed of the order, dispatched the next day, and arrived the day after by parcelforce 24hr worldwide. Bargain, seeing as theres UK sellers who charge more for P&P for "Ehhh we might post it this week, maybe next... and the courier will deliver it sometime next month if they feel like it" delivery. 

So onto the magazines, they come well packaged in the box shown in the advert and each mag is individually wrapped. Thats nice. The finish is a nice sleek black paint that seems rather thickly layered on and resilient to my initial stabbing at it with a screwdriver. Not bad so far. The first thing you notice though is they are absolutely CAKED in oil/grease.

SDSzeXT.jpg

CYibmji.jpg

Look at that! the feed lip is a solid lump of grease.

Out of curiosity to see what would happen, I put them fresh from the box into my gun and fired off a few rounds. Or rather, failed to. The BBs were so heavily covered in thick grease they wouldnt feed into the hop unit and wouldnt fire. 

So I set about stripping them to clean them. Easy enough to take apart. One allen bolt on the bottom and the plastic internals slide out.

vGUVDnV.jpg

fkGr5J2.jpg

Good god, would you look at the state of this...

9MRhPMh.jpg

If there was any more oil in there, America would probably have invaded it. The feed lip wasnt much better.

vcF9dC7.jpg

On the plus side, I'm very sure the spring wont be going rusty if its been stored in a warehouse for a long time!

So cleaning it all out with a rag and some rubbing alcohol, then applying a few drops of teflon dry lube - reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. Getting the spring back in was a complete and utter bastard, until I figured out that actually theres a small hatch you can unscrew on the plastic body to feed the spring in easily through the guide channel with the magazine internals assembled. You can see the hatch in picture 4 above, the small rectanglular bit held on by a single screw. I have no idea if this is common among all midcaps as Ive never bothered taking one apart before. If its not then its a nice touch and I approve.

Put back together, did the "fill and empty 10 BBs at a time" thing, no idea if thats actually needed but it cant hurt. Slapped it back into my gun, and this time it feeds and fires like a champ. No more misfeeding, no more gunked up BBs.

Overall Im very impressed with them, for the price they seem like theyre very decent quality, just like every other Specna Arms product I've tried.

Build Quality: 4/5 - the plastic insert feels a little brittle and like it would snap when I was reassembling it if I screwed too tight. However the metal shell feels very solid and is nicely finished

Function/Reliability - 5/5 - not yet used in a skirmish, however Ive put a few mags through each of them with no problems so far. I've tested them in 4 different guns, including one that has a high RoF setup and theyve fed flawlessly in all of them. This will be updated after a few skirmishes of using to see how they cope.

Value For Money 5/5 - Probably the cheapest bulk box of metal midcaps I've seen. The Ares  "expendable" ones are slightly cheaper, but theyre plastic and crap. These cost £28.99 for 5, working out at about £5.70 per mag. And they work well. Bargain.

Would I buy more/reccomend to others? Absolutely yes, if you're competent enough to strip and clean them, which basically anyone can.

• Supporters
Just now, Tiercel said:

I have no idea, I can only assume yes if they take standard M4 type mags :P 

yeah you say that, neither nuprol or g&p midcaps fit......

In that case no idea, if not you can probably sneakily sell them for a profit at £10 each and nobody would ever know because theyre totally unmarked branding-wise and £10 seems to be the going price for mags usually.

Christ I may have just discovered an amazing airsoft ponzi scheme, dont let Seth hear! 

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

In that case no idea, if not you can probably sneakily sell them for a profit at £10 each and nobody would ever know because theyre totally unmarked branding-wise and £10 seems to be the going price for mags usually.

Christ I may have just discovered an amazing airsoft ponzi scheme, dont let Seth hear! 

nah i'm just gonna return them and try again, might just buy g&g because at least those'll work.

my asg's fit lovely but they's a bit battle worn now.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I found the exact same ones on gunfire, debating whether to get some as unsure if 2 mid caps is too low for games! Or but pqck of 5 of the S-Mags the specna comes with anyways.

How have you found them? And do they work fine in other guns? Specna arms going to be my first gun so imagine I'll use that for a while!

Cheers

Edit: Grey ones you got are £21 on gunfire right now pack of 5.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.