Budget gbb

Blackbeard01
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know this has probably been done before but there's been a few new gbb rifles released so I guess the old threads may be outdated by now. Ive got two questions real,

What's the absolute cheapest way for someone to get into gbb rifles, not interested in are they bad or not, simply the absolute cheapest skirmishable rifles.

The second question is what would make a good entry level rifle, good performance out the box, minimal work required and lots of relevant info online regarding upgrades and common fixes? 

• Supporters

Had basically exactly the same train of thought as you , I bought a Well AK74 and six mags from taiwangun (and I put a rig together for it of there site as well) and I think in all it set me back £160’ish in total . Works well , not bad range on it certainly scurmishable as is .

BUT I have been eyeing up WEtech internals for it to see how much better I can get it ! 🤦‍♂️

• Head Moderator
23 minutes ago, Blackbeard01 said:

What's the absolute cheapest way for someone to get into gbb rifles, not interested in are they bad or not, simply the absolute cheapest skirmishable rifles.

Just buy the cheapest airsoft gun you can and it will probably be bad, however, it also depends what you class as skirmishable. To me a skirmishable gun is one that can compete with other players in terms of average distance, a cheap bad gun is less likely to be able to do that.

One option is to buy second hand (see the forum Classifieds), getting a used one could give you a better gun for for similar cost to a new but lesser performing one.

23 minutes ago, Blackbeard01 said:

The second question is what would make a good entry level rifle, good performance out the box, minimal work required and lots of relevant info online regarding upgrades and common fixes? 

GHK G5 would be a good entry level and affordable.

I would say that the TM M4A1 MWS is also a good entry level gun, whilst not the cheapest, it is probably the best GBB rifle out there.  Paying more for quality out of the box that does not need to messed around with and potentially cheaper in the long term because of that.  Have a look at this topic:

So are the cheap Taiwangun gbbs actually worth a look? I'm really bothered to much by range as I play mostly up close. I've played with ICS rifles and a done up G&G and by far the best fun I've had was with a cheap mp5 aeg! It comes down to how to apply it I guess. 

The best cheap GBBR is the WE g36c. Those G5’s seem fragile to me.. the g36c works well out of the box, and with a barrel and bucking you can turn them into monsters. I sold mine to a friend and it’s still going. Has a modify tan bucking and an RA tech barrel, chronoing 310fps on a .20.. it could throw a .43 65m all day long. 

The MWS, while quite expensive, is the best gbbr regardless of cost in my opinion.  Running costs are actually surprisingly low once you’re all setup. For example, a whole 8 hour day with the mws I go though half a can of propane at £8.30 and about 500-700 .36 BB’s. So about another tenner. My SixG built TM 416 delta eats 2000 .36 bb’s in the same period so about £22. The MWS out performs the recoil range in standard guise too.

2 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

The best cheap GBBR is the WE g36c. Those G5’s seem fragile to me.. the g36c works well out of the box, and with a barrel and bucking you can turn them into monsters. I sold mine to a friend and it’s still going. Has a modify tan bucking and an RA tech barrel, chronoing 310fps on a .20.. it could throw a .43 65m all day long. 

The MWS, while quite expensive, is the best gbbr regardless of cost in my opinion.  Running costs are actually surprisingly low once you’re all setup. For example, a whole 8 hour day with the mws I go though half a can of propane at £8.30 and about 500-700 .36 BB’s. So about another tenner. My SixG built TM 416 delta eats 2000 .36 bb’s in the same period so about £22. The MWS out performs the recoil range in standard guise too.

Wow, that's actually really impressive stuff, how do they perform during winter? 

Depends on the gun. My Mws likes propane until about 5 degrees and it starts getting a little sluggish (still cycles and locks back, just not as snappy). Anything below 5 degrees I use Guarder power up gas or MAPP gas and it will run in weather colder than I’m willing to play in. 

The WE’s tend to be similar, but they slow down below about 8 instead of 5 degrees. If you use different gases throughout the year, you can use them in any weather. I run GBBR’s all year round and they’re perfectly usable. 

If you’re wanting the absolute cheapest, pick up a second hand g36 in the classifieds. Just ask questions to make sure you’re not getting a lemon.

If you want the absolute best GBBR the mws I’d argue is the best airsoft gun in any catagory. Super reliable, most accurate rifle I’ve used outside of a high end sniper, durable cerakote finish, nice kick. Also very easy and cheap to turn one into a high performance DMR, unlike an AEG

2 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Depends on the gun. My Mws likes propane until about 5 degrees and it starts getting a little sluggish (still cycles and locks back, just not as snappy). Anything below 5 degrees I use Guarder power up gas or MAPP gas and it will run in weather colder than I’m willing to play in. 

The WE’s tend to be similar, but they slow down below about 8 instead of 5 degrees. If you use different gases throughout the year, you can use them in any weather. I run GBBR’s all year round and they’re perfectly usable. 

If you’re wanting the absolute cheapest, pick up a second hand g36 in the classifieds. Just ask questions to make sure you’re not getting a lemon.

If you want the absolute best GBBR the mws I’d argue is the best airsoft gun in any catagory. Super reliable, most accurate rifle I’ve used outside of a high end sniper, durable cerakote finish, nice kick. Also very easy and cheap to turn one into a high performance DMR, unlike an AEG

What are the mags like for the g36? I hear gas mags can be really temperamental on some guns as in seals blowing etc.

As long as you keep gas in them and put a drop of silicone oil on the valves every now and then, they’re perfectly fine. I must have 30 gas mags on my shelves, all full of gas and all leak free. The only issues with g36 mags are they’re a pain in the arse for pouches because of their shape and the little coupler things on the sides

26 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

As long as you keep gas in them and put a drop of silicone oil on the valves every now and then, they’re perfectly fine. I must have 30 gas mags on my shelves, all full of gas and all leak free. The only issues with g36 mags are they’re a pain in the arse for pouches because of their shape and the little coupler things on the sides

30 gas mags! That's probably worth more than the average mortgage! So in terms of keeping gas in them, I'm assuming that's only a little bit? 

I try not to think about how much all of my airsoft stuff cost or I’d probably have a breakdown 😂

I don’t go out of my way to leave them full, but there’s no real harm in it if you’re not storing them somewhere hot. They do need some in though as it keeps pressure on all of the seals, keeping them in place. 

Been using AEGS for my last few games and I still have one to that I have yet to use in anger.

However, I have dusted off my G39c and forgot how fun it is to use. Got it modded with some steel internals and a better barrel, npas, hop rubber and also added a steel charging handle (the plastic one broke after my first game with it). It is so fun to shoot compared to my AEGs and pretty accurate too.

As Wo1f said, the mags are bulky but I have six and have had no problems with them leaking.

I am now thinking of getting the MWS as it seems to be the Rolls Royce of the GBB world and basically look sexy as flip. Just need to find £800.

^^ I forgot about the shit plastic charging handle.. besides that it’s great 😂

what do you need £800 for an mws for? 

+1 for the WE G39c. Love mine, I've fitted a longer barrel group and hand guard to take it up to carbine length just because I wanted a longer gun. Maple leaf hop, tight bore and an NPAS  and it's awesome. Kicks pretty hard , makes a lovely 'crack' when it fires and is pretty accurate.

13 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

I would say that the TM M4A1 MWS is also a good entry level gun, whilst not the cheapest, it is probably the best GBB rifle out there.  Paying more for quality out of the box that does not need to messed around with and potentially cheaper in the long term because of that. 

+1 for this I genuinely think people think they will be able to tinker with something they have no idea about and make it fire 400M because they read some ass hat say he only spent £30 on upgrades and it's a lazer beam. 

The only GBB I know that performs decent which isn't TOO expensive is the TM MP7 which if you do CQB it might be worth a look. 

The TM Breacher is a great CQB gas option if you have not looked into one. Not blowback but as intimidating AF.

TM MWS - you can pick up a rif plus mags on the forums for around £500 and you'll be golden. 

Check out Action Hobbies' boneyard section regularly as they are starting to stock some real used bargains.

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Musica said:

+1 for this I genuinely think people think they will be able to tinker with something they have no idea about and make it fire 400M because they read some ass hat say he only spent £30 on upgrades and it's a lazer beam. 

The only GBB I know that performs decent which isn't TOO expensive is the TM MP7 which if you do CQB it might be worth a look. 

TM MP7 is great in the woods too, the range on mine was absolutely phenomenal, I'm talking one taps at 60m, hitting people's gun barrels sticking out at 40m etc.  

15 hours ago, Wo1f said:

^^ I forgot about the shit plastic charging handle.. besides that it’s great 😂

what do you need £800 for an mws for? 

Mags, lots of mags.

Archived