Beginner rifle - cm.518 or cyma g36?

Levelup
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all 

I know these guns are both made by the same firm but is there a stand out between the two. I'm assuming the G36 as it's slightly more expensive, but the 518 is a newer model, so was wondering if it might have newer internals? Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

If you can also advise what reticle reflex or other optics would be suitable for either gun. Thanks

Links to the guns from patrolbase here.

16 hours ago, Levelup said:
Hi all 

I know these guns are both made by the same firm but is there a stand out between the two. I'm assuming the G36 as it's slightly more expensive, but the 518 is a newer model, so was wondering if it might have newer internals? Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

If you can also advise what reticle reflex or other optics would be suitable for either gun. Thanks

Links to the guns from patrolbase here.

CYMA for their AK range is very good. I'm not sure about their other ranges unfortunately.

However, a safe bet with only being slightly more is G&G - https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-cm16-mod0-combat-machine?pv=2686 

15 minutes ago, SgtTalbert said:

Thanks very much for that, very helpful. by the looks of it, doesn't come with a charger by the looks of it, people seem to be talking about needing a auto switch off lipo charger. Will this be suitable for the type of battery supplied, or will I need to upgrade this as I'm buying a charger anyway. Sorry for the newbie questions. 

CYMA for their AK range is very good. I'm not sure about their other ranges unfortunately.

However, a safe bet with only being slightly more is G&G - https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-cm16-mod0-combat-machine?pv=2686 

6 minutes ago, Levelup said:

No it doesnt but something like this will be fine - https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/turnigy-800ma-charger-for-2s-3s-7-4v-11-1v-lipo-battery-packs-with-power-supply and you could always upgrade (if you really wanted to) to something like this - https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/turnigy-lipo-charger 

This battery should fit and would last you all day - https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/7.4v-2000mah-20c-lipo-crane-stock-battery

Best starter g36 I’d say is the JG. You can get them for sub £100 from places like Taiwangun. 

Best starter AK is the CYMA stuff. 

Best starter m4 is the ICS sportline. They’re about £150 but they’re much nicer than other ‘starter’ m4’s. 

Fire-support usually do ICS starter packages with a battery and other little bits 

I've been useing my cyma 517 for over 2 years and not had a problem with it but I've not upgraded it or taken it apart. When i got mine from patrol base the guys said they have less back for repairs than any others. But just remember the outside dose look a bit plasticky.... having said that its also still in one peice externally

Thanks very much for that. They have been discontinued though. I assume for the newer models.

Thanks for everyone's help. I've bought one now... plus a grip and a closed reflux sight. 

• Supporters
On 06/04/2019 at 16:34, Nicky blue eyes said:

I've been useing my cyma 517 for over 2 years and not had a problem with it but I've not upgraded it or taken it apart.

I wish I'd listened to that advice. :D  That said, my CM.516 performed well for a year before I "upgraded" it.  The CYMA M4s are credible starter guns for the tightest of budgets, if a bit plastic-fantastic.

48 minutes ago, Levelup said:

Thanks for everyone's help. I've bought one now... plus a grip and a closed reflux sight. 

Neat, what did you go for in the end?

• 4 weeks later...

Been waiting for all the extras to arrive. As stock with added reflux sight and fore grip. Then with suppressor and extra mags with a 3 point sling. :) need to find a good place on the outskirts of London for a skirmish now. 

IMG_20190413_174935.jpg

IMG_20190430_164503.jpg

IMG_20190430_164518.jpg

Looks really good in the blue!
I've got a G&G CM16 Mod0 on order with the same twotone blue. Can't wait for it to arrive. :D
Happy airsofting!

31 minutes ago, Levelup said:

Been waiting for all the extras to arrive. As stock with added reflux sight and fore grip. Then with suppressor and extra mags with a 3 point sling. :) need to find a good place on the outskirts of London for a skirmish now. 

IMG_20190413_174935.jpg

IMG_20190430_164503.jpg

IMG_20190430_164518.jpg

Make sure to get a picatinny protector for that sight! It will quite easily be shot out in CQB. The glass is not replaceable either. 

I recommend either Red 1 Chislehurst or Doomsday near the Kent border if you are in South London. 

If you are in the north then you will need to have a car to get to the north sites by opening. 

If you are east, try Skirmish Billericay or Airsoft Plantation. 

Cheers. I did buy a plastic protector, but it's the wrong type of fitting. I need to get a rail mounted one now. I am in SW London(zone 2). Happy to drive, but it's always a nightmare bursting through traffic on the inside of the M25. Thanks for the recommendations. 👍

Gun came in 5 days. Got it for a steal at £95 and free shipping. 

I ordered extras from gunfire.com. happy with must if the bits that came from there. Quite a bit cheaper than buying from uk., But downside is flat rate shipping if £15 so you need to be buying a decent amount of things for it to be worth it. Delivery from Poland was still speedy at about a week. 

14 minutes ago, Levelup said:

Cheers. I did buy a plastic protector, but it's the wrong type of fitting. I need to get a rail mounted one now. I am in SW London(zone 2). Happy to drive, but it's always a nightmare bursting through traffic on the inside of the M25. Thanks for the recommendations. 👍

Gun came in 5 days. Got it for a steal at £95 and free shipping. 

I ordered extras from gunfire.com. happy with must if the bits that came from there. Quite a bit cheaper than buying from uk., But downside is flat rate shipping if £15 so you need to be buying a decent amount of things for it to be worth it. Delivery from Poland was still speedy at about a week. 

For South West London I recommend EAG Dorking. One of the better sites down there without going too far away from London. 

• 2 weeks later...

spill the beans. where did you pick up that g36 tt? let us (me, as it is my preferred starter platform) know how it chronos and plays! 

Not been on site with it yet, so only tested accuracy indoors. Seems consistent enough for the price tbf. £99.95 from bbguns UK. But the price is up to £119 now. 

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Levelup said:

£99.95 from bbguns UK.

<dramatic-gopher.gif>

Yup, they do sometimes have stuff at a decent price if you keep an eye out.  Belatedly, I should mention that if you leave an order in your basket for 24 hours, they offer a 7% discount on it.

However, I would if at all possible get it chronoed before you book a site visit, as CYMAs as-stock tend to shoot well over UK site and legal limits.  Reputable sites like PatrolBase will only sell UK versions, but I'd treat BBgunz's claims that it's a "UK model" with some scepticism.

• Supporters
On 20/05/2019 at 08:52, Rogerborg said:

Reputable sites like PatrolBase will only sell UK versions, 

I’m afraid to say no they do sell ‘illegal’ ones as well , few yrs ago picked up a Jing Gong S-System from them for a project build when I stuck it through the chrono it was WELL over limit and when l contacted them about it , there reply to me was ? “oh you should have told us you wanted it UK legal , we’d have down graded it for only 25quid” ! 😳

Archived