Airsoft Game Day Photography Do's and Don'ts ?

Arwen
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Lens wise a good 70-200 f2.8 and a small prime would be ideal I'd imagine.

Keep the sun behind you, never shoot into it, it'll wash out your shots.

If you must photo someone who is being sneaky, try and use live view, but keep the camera at such an angle that it doesn't look like anyone's there, as said you'll give them away.

Leave the camera on aperture priority, you won't have time to go full manual, hell it's rare when I do.

Keep your focus on single point, with so many things around it'll have a hard time figuring out what you really want to photo.

Lens protection I do know sigma have a ceramic filter that is nigh on indestructible but it'll cost you.

When you photo people's faces, go soft on processing, little to no sharpening if anything you want less, purple don't want to see every blemish on their face.

Learn to use the spot removal tool, and how to come things out in PS.

Just enjoy yourself, it's not as complicated as people make out, just use a bit of common sense.

Don't worry about finding a style, it'll do your head in figuring this out, let it find you.

I've been at it for years, and only now starting to figure out what my style is.

20 hours ago, AndyDynamic said:

A load of my shots from Urban Assault a few months back : https://photos.app.goo.gl/8jTvLpsBGi7y8WbG8

Glad I got to the site before its done

Thanks for the tips, those photos have given me a good few ideas for next game day. Thanks very much 🙂 

15 hours ago, Huxley said:

When you photo people's faces, go soft on processing, little to no sharpening if anything you want less, purple don't want to see every blemish on their face.

The most processing I do on 95% of my photos is simply adjusting the levels/curves. I enjoy taking photos, but processing them all to a high degree is something I'm not going to spend lots of time doing unless I start getting paid for it! (which is totally not my aim, photography is a hobby for me.) 

There are a select few photos that I may process differently. Usually because they are screaming out for it. 

On 03/04/2019 at 20:15, Resistor170 said:

However, I can be cheeky here and suggest to add a handful of photos on a suitable thread on airsoft-forums.uk

For the non facebook people who fancy a wee look, until I find something better - 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zsss6EJvoPQzbr3b9

18 hours ago, Huxley said:

Keep the sun behind you, never shoot into it, it'll wash out your shots.

Never say never

The worst thing that can happen with digital photography is that you have a bad photo to be deleted

Failing to press the shutter button means you never have the photo in the first place 

Rules in photography are there to be broken, and particularly with game photography you arent capturing a specific picture, but the memories and vanity of the players

Backlight can make a photo, it can give an arty effect, you work around it, it can give a technically bad picture that is still liked by the subject

6 hours ago, Arwen said:

For the non facebook people who fancy a wee look, until I find something better - 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zsss6EJvoPQzbr3b9

Thanks, much appreciated. You have taken some great shots there. I like seeing all the different kit and action shots are great of course so I'm all for the idea if someone wants to take photos.

I imagine it'll be impossible not to get in someone's way at some point, hopefully they won't throw a tantrum. Football referees get in the way fairly regularly, inevitable when you have people all around you running around and you only can only look at one place at a time.

I haven't read every post here but I know you mentioned hi vis. Maybe you could make something like this for realism...56e78254c36188e94c8b4579.jpg.5044e393f927c9b7e604d107e69325ff.jpg

6 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Lol I had not even thought about a press/reporter loadout 😅

1 hour ago, Resistor170 said:

Thanks, much appreciated. You have taken some great shots there. I like seeing all the different kit and action shots are great of course so I'm all for the idea if someone wants to take photos.

I imagine it'll be impossible not to get in someone's way at some point, hopefully they won't throw a tantrum. Football referees get in the way fairly regularly, inevitable when you have people all around you running around and you only can only look at one place at a time.

I haven't read every post here but I know you mentioned hi vis. Maybe you could make something like this for realism...56e78254c36188e94c8b4579.jpg.5044e393f927c9b7e604d107e69325ff.jpg

2 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Stick a mic in their face and ask how the attack is going :lol:

thats literally what the airsoft amigos do like the video i posted earlier. 

57 minutes ago, Musica said:

I missed that.

Wow, I'd be annoyed

I'm shooting re-enactment at an old airbase next month while avoiding paying customers. I'll be using my old DSLR with a 70-200mm 2.8 lens and a thrifty 1.7 50mm if I need it. I'll also have on me at least one 35mm camera for period style photos but also for access to my fast wide lenses.

I'll just be keeping out of the way, letting them have their fun. Same applies to game days... Stay out of the way and try not to get shot.

Over/under exposure and noise are just things... they don't necessarily ruin a photo.

2 hours ago, Musica said:

And that's what you get when you don't read all the posts. My fault. I did just mean the gear for identification (avoid being shot or "sorry I'm not a Marshall) rather than engaging in anyway whatsoever with the players... During playtime 

2 hours ago, EDcase said:

Stick a mic in their face and ask how the attack is going :lol:

Starship Troopers style

On 05/04/2019 at 17:38, Tommikka said:

Never say never

The worst thing that can happen with digital photography is that you have a bad photo to be deleted

Failing to press the shutter button means you never have the photo in the first place 

Rules in photography are there to be broken, and particularly with game photography you arent capturing a specific picture, but the memories and vanity of the players

Backlight can make a photo, it can give an arty effect, you work around it, it can give a technically bad picture that is still liked by the subject

You're talking about the token silhouette shot, trouble is you need a decent light source behind them and they need to set up for it.

All good after game, but during you'd be very lucky to pull it off.

You would be hard pushed to go arty, best option would be to lower your aperture, and aim to get that blurry background, least for individuals or any group.

Least then it'll play in your favour for lighting.

Having everything in focus detracts from the individual you're shooting.

On 05/04/2019 at 20:44, Resistor170 said:

A guy used to show up at games at longmoor dressed similar! worked really well from what he said!

On 03/04/2019 at 17:35, Arwen said:

And before you say it, yes I searched, yes I found topics 4 years old. I've read them (and maybe got some tips), but would rather a more up to date point of view.

The past few months I've not really be fit enough to play airsoft properly. I've taken photos at a few games days at my local site before, so rather than miss the day completely , I'm thinking of taking my camera shooting instead of my aegs ! 

I find I prefer using a long lens and stay on the outskirts of play. Not only does this mean I am less likely to get hit, but it gives me a wide range of people to photograph, and I can more easily move around without getting in someones way/cross fire. 

Pictures are here if you fancy a look - 

VSA Game Day 31/03/19      

VSA Game Day 06/01/19

Players, what annoying things do photographers do when you are playing? As player myself I think I do my best to not give away peoples positions or get in the road of your shot, but I wonder if there is anything else I am possibly doing that can be classed as annoying. 

Photographers, any tips? I've now got a polarizing lens, so hopefully a lot less over exposure shots when the sun is out 

So I am a professional photographer and have been now for over ten years. The first thing I would say is a circular polariser does not help with exposure. You might be referring to a variable neutral density filter.

I know for a fact that some consent might be necessary before hand when shooting people who are otherwise unexpecting  due to GDPR so your site must inform (not consent) other players that an activity of that sort is actually being performed. 

From the pictures I have seen I would say the first thing to work on is some framing rules and techniques. I know it might be hard on the field to frame properly but in editing it should be achievable.

i hope this helps

of you need anything else photography wise I am always happy to help. 

On 05/04/2019 at 17:38, Tommikka said:

Never say never

Not to get technical here but most photographers shoot into the sun not the other way around. Albeit using a fill flash to illuminate the subject against the background. The most unflattering look is if the sun is on your subjects eyes making them squint and creating shadows on their faces that are undesirable. If you do not have a flash you can shoot at a 45 degree angle where the sun is behind the subject. If you have a lens hood on this creates a flattering look without the use of flash. 

Archived