Rarity over Need/Practicality.

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

Personally, I hate bullpups with a passion (ha ha ooops), the AA12, fun or not, is massively heavy for an AEG, even more so when you consider you need three times as much ammo as a normal AEG.

I cut the pilon sights off mine, added a long rail, then got bored and sold it (as usual).

I would recommend it, if you must have similar, buy an SGR-12, at least it’s nice to hold

Funnily enough I just spent an hour in Wolf Armories shouldering some things!

SGR12/AA12. Both were a bit lighter then I thought lack of drum mag and bbs not withstanding. The SGR was no doubt the better externally, but the AA was lighter weight and had better distribution, not being so front heavy. I have always preferred the looks of the AA12 so that would be my pick if I went for an auto shotgun. 

M249 Para. Bloody heavy. I love the idea of an LMG, but man, I couldn't carry it for more then an hour. 

TM SCAR H, the only recoil I would consider. Heavier then I thought it would be, quality receiver, recoils more then i thought it would and is apparently one of the lighter recoils out of the series. 

Krytac Vector tan compact. Quite a surprise. I have avoided these as everyone had one at one point. Small and lovely to hold, lighter then I thought it would be. Not sure about midcaps only unless I got a drum mag. 

If only I could hold all the other things on my list. It would greatly help in my selection!

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Funnily enough I just spent an hour in Wolf Armories shouldering some things!

SGR12/AA12. Both were a bit lighter then I thought lack of drum mag and bbs not withstanding. The SGR was no doubt the better externally, but the AA was lighter weight and had better distribution, not being so front heavy. I have always preferred the looks of the AA12 so that would be my pick if I went for an auto shotgun. 

If only I could hold all the other things on my list. It would greatly help in my selection!

Run an AA12 all day then judge.

Its a shame you didn't chuck this up a couple of months back as I would of lent you a type 97b to test for a few games.

Ignore the scare stories as well as been inside a few and I see no cause for concern on anything being fragile.

33 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Run an AA12 all day then judge.

Its a shame you didn't chuck this up a couple of months back as I would of lent you a type 97b to test for a few games.

Ignore the scare stories as well as been inside a few and I see no cause for concern on anything being fragile.

With out the drum mag the aa12 is not heavy 3000 bbs however are heavy.

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, BigStew said:

With out the drum mag the aa12 is not heavy 3000 bbs however are heavy.

Its not just about the weight it just doesn't feel as right in the hands as most assault rifles/smg style guns. I took an instant dislike as soon as I held one and all the people I know who actually bought them either sold them or stuck them in a cupboard.

It was a gimmick that never really worked too well.  I wanted to like it and really hoped it would be good but hated it.

1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

M249 Para. Bloody heavy. I love the idea of an LMG, but man, I couldn't carry it for more then an hour. 

If you think that is heavy you do not want to try the M60. When I was playing regularly I had team mates who had both.  The M249 was just about useable for an hour or so, but the M60 really needed to be on a fixed point or vehicle mount. It just wasn't a practical "carry" option.

1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, RR01 said:

If you think that is heavy you do not want to try the M60. When I was playing regularly I had team mates who had both.  The M249 was just about useable for an hour or so, but the M60 really needed to be on a fixed point or vehicle mount. It just wasn't a practical "carry" option.

the mg42 says hi :P

• Supporters
1 hour ago, RR01 said:

We ran an M60 for about 18months. Never had such a good workout running around with one of them.

3 hours ago, Asomodai said:

LOL :lol: I've been pumping weights just to make this thing lighter... mines the Ranger version.

You can always deploy it for a rest up. ;)

9 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Hello all. 

I have sort of trapped myself in a 1st world dilemma and felt the need to come to you guys to help me get around the process going in my head!

In the past I have always bought things that are rare over things that are more practical or that I needed more. This is because I do like the weird and wonderful, which are either not going to be made anymore or on very limited production cycles.

After realising that a gas rifle is not for me, I sold my Umarex Tavor GBB and am now contemplating my next choices of which I have many! It is rare that I get a lump sum of money such as this to spend on a rifle, I generally buy cheap and upgrade later. 

• Silverback SRS Sniper Rifle. 
  • A&K M60 MK43 (LMG)
  • Real Sword Type 97/97b
  • S&T Tavor Pro
  • Magpul PDR-C
  • G&G F2000 hunter scope with ETU
  • AA12 Electric Shotty
  • Upgrade parts for current in-upgraded rifles. 
  • Clothes, Tactical gear, Camera setup.

Recently I have gotten into bolt action rifles, I have an almost fully upgraded Well MB09 which I am having a lot of fun with, I haven't been able to use it much but I do intend to use the play style intended more often. 

So I have felt that an SRS would be a great rifle to go for, even though my Well will probably out perform it initially. The 16" is small and effective. I would consider this a practical choice as I only have one bolty which some of the proprietary parts are of dubious quality. However, the SRS is a current production rifle, and unlikely to be discontinued anytime soon. So there is no urgency to purchase it, though whether I will have the ability at a later date is questionable!

The A&K M60, is a practical/need choice as I do not have a true LMG (The MG36 does not count). Yes its one of the worst rated LMGs, but I can get them for 230 euros brand new, which would leave me plenty left over for upgrades or even buying the F2000. 

The Real Sword Type 97 is the bees knees in bullpups. You guys know me and bullpups, this would be the ultimate for someone like myself, though I have no great like for the design. These are no longer really made, or rather there are pretty much no sellers worldwide anymore, only two places in Europe sell them and at a somewhat inflated price. But externally and internally, the most solid bullpup. However I have loads of AEGS already! So this is the rarity option, which I may not find again. 

S&T Tavor Pro. Hilariously I sold one that I never used so I could buy the GBBr variant. There is no decent Tavor, but this one can be upgraded with difficulty and I really DO like the platform and looks. I haven't much more to say about this, its a cheap option as well so I could get another choice on top of buying this. Its not rare but the production cycles are very unpredictable. 

Magpul PDR-C. Hard to get hold of and due to licensing will never really be made again. I have found two new ones still for sale in the UK. I already have the small bullpup platform covered twice over, but there is something about this that I cant shake out of my head. Not keen on the dual stage trigger and no semi fire selector though. Definitely an indulgent purchase, though if I purchased this I will have money left over. 

The G&G F2000 with ETU has only recently been released, but has not sold well and not many produced in the first place, this is likely going to be a Rarity choice. When I first started airsoft, THIS was the rifle I wanted, but I couldn't find one with the hunter scope, since then I picked up the CYMA one which does not have the scope. It is cheap enough though, that I would have money left over for upgrades. 

AA12 Shotty. This would be more of an indulgent choice. I have no true need for an electric shotgun, but it looks bloody hilarious to use. But I do fear it will make my KSG a bit redundant. For me this is the "Fun" choice, and isn't airsoft all about that?

Upgrade parts for current unupgraded rifles. I have a G36 that needs an overhaul, along with three other rifles that needs the gearboxes opening up to replace compression parts, include the labour cost and this could turn quite expensive, but at least I will get the most of what I have already. This is the sensible practical choice. 

Clothes Tactical gear, Camera setup. I still have just one set of clothes that I use, French surplus stuff, it would be practical to get something else, maybe tan for Milsim and dark for night and indoors. I have also been fiddling with an idea of using a camera for my site reviews. So definitely a practical/need choice. 

So would you guys go for Rarity or something more practical/needed? Would you regret not going for the rare item?

SRS - You have a bolty already, although the SRS is a solid design, Personally I think the bolt pull is way too far back; follow up shots mean you have to adjust your fire position to re-cock.

M60 - What you goin to do, HPA it into an out and out suppression machine?

Type 97 - You're not keen on the looks, yes it's a well built bullpup, but you have plenty AEGs already, sounds like it'll just be a wall hanger, wall hangers should look like perfection to the beholder??

F2000 - Now this I assume you're fond of it in the looks stake, sell the Cyma and wall hang this / play / upgrade this.

AA12 - Cheap fling bit pointless. Airsoft is about fun but I think this is more short term novelty lol!

G36 - Now you have this already, who's it by? Do you have a Mack daddy gaming AEG?

Also I think G36s are rare, especially on the field and the look so cool!

I would build up an LMG, pimp the G36 or another, sort my load out to play better - shoot more people AKA having fun :)

Are you in this for collecting or playing?

I wouldn't buy something cos it's rare, nor regret it, I'd buy because I'm attracted to it, either by looks and/or performance, I'd certainly rather the latter if a lady :D

• Supporters

buy the aa12 with a drum mag, & when you get bored with it I'll swap my g&g f2010 hunter for it, you know it makes sense 😉

You know it makes sense! - Del boy - quickmeme.jpg

12 hours ago, Davegolf said:

SRS - You have a bolty already, although the SRS is a solid design, Personally I think the bolt pull is way too far back; follow up shots mean you have to adjust your fire position to re-cock.

M60 - What you goin to do, HPA it into an out and out suppression machine?

Type 97 - You're not keen on the looks, yes it's a well built bullpup, but you have plenty AEGs already, sounds like it'll just be a wall hanger, wall hangers should look like perfection to the beholder??

F2000 - Now this I assume you're fond of it in the looks stake, sell the Cyma and wall hang this / play / upgrade this.

AA12 - Cheap fling bit pointless. Airsoft is about fun but I think this is more short term novelty lol!

G36 - Now you have this already, who's it by? Do you have a Mack daddy gaming AEG?

Also I think G36s are rare, especially on the field and the look so cool!

I would build up an LMG, pimp the G36 or another, sort my load out to play better - shoot more people AKA having fun :)

Are you in this for collecting or playing?

I wouldn't buy something cos it's rare, nor regret it, I'd buy because I'm attracted to it, either by looks and/or performance, I'd certainly rather the latter if a lady :D

Well the Type 97 certainly has the performance. There is a charm to it though! 

M60 would be just to have an LMG for milsim where a MG36 is not acceptable. Not interested in HPA myself. 

SRS, I make lots of sacrifices in liking bullpups so the pull bolt wont phase me. 

The Cyma F2000 is not worth enough for me to sell it and yes, its all about getting the hunter scope. The ETU will really help with the trigger pull as well. 

The G36 is only a JG. So needs a fair amount of upgrades. 

I only play twice a month, time permitting. Technically I am not allowed to collect according to the wife!

8 hours ago, Tackle said:

buy the aa12 with a drum mag, & when you get bored with it I'll swap my g&g f2010 hunter for it, you know it makes sense 😉

You know it makes sense! - Del boy - quickmeme.jpg

Oh you tease. 

17 hours ago, RR01 said:

Good advice. I have arthritis at the tender age of 33 in my foot so weight can be an issue. 

What I am finding interesting is that most people think that the Type97 would be the best choice. The TM AA12 is very polarising in peoples opinions, The LMG is too heavy for most and no one really mentions much of the other choices. 

Hmm! 

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

What I am finding interesting is that most people think that the Type97 would be the best choice. The TM AA12 is very polarising in peoples opinions, The LMG is too heavy for most and no one really mentions much of the other choices. 

Hmm! 

How many people have actually held a type 97 do reckon though?

1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

I have once... It was some time ago, I remember thinking "This is proper, but damn its heavy" And that was the smaller Type 97B!

• Supporters
21 hours ago, Asomodai said:

get the Star 249 para (prob not made any more), light as f#ck, like running around with a nerf gun lol, only mechanical issues with them was a micro switch in the trigger, took 20 mins to fix with a £2 part from maplins.

15 minutes ago, Tackle said:

get the Star 249 para (prob not made any more), light as f#ck, like running around with a nerf gun lol, only mechanical issues with them was a micro switch in the trigger, took 20 mins to fix with a £2 part from maplins.

A thing that's not made anymore fixed by a thing that no longer exists. I do like a challenge ;)

1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Not me and it wouldn't make one bit of difference to my choice. I like the gun for what it is a replica of and not for skirmishing qualities. I love my sa80 with dd rail eventhough skirmishing would be much easier if it was lighter. I have a P90 which felt completely weird to hold at first...and then I got used to it. 

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

A thing that's not made anymore fixed by a thing that no longer exists. I do like a challenge ;)

not 100% sure its not still in production, failing that old stock at retailers ?.

as for the microswitch, somebody made it for maplins, pretty sure the mate it for other firms 😉

5 hours ago, Tackle said:

not 100% sure its not still in production, failing that old stock at retailers ?.

as for the microswitch, somebody made it for maplins, pretty sure the mate it for other firms 😉

Squires Tools do microswitches. Shameless plug for my work 😂

21 hours ago, Tackle said:

16 hours ago, PopRocket123 said:

Squires Tools do microswitches. Shameless plug for my work 😂

Nah I'm good gents. 

I almost pulled the trigger on the Type97 yesterday afternoon, the MK43 late last night and the SRS this morning. I need to stop watching Youtube videos because I cant make up my mind!

I really want to do an accurate L115A3 build but considering the amount of time and money it'd take to build something completely impractical for Airsoft I may as well do a RS build.

41 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

I really want to do an accurate L115A3 build but considering the amount of time and money it'd take to build something completely impractical for Airsoft I may as well do a RS build.

The only problem with this is last time I checked (now, I will admit it was a long time ago, years  in fact so things could of changed) but shooting people with a RS rifle is illegal. Again, happy to be corrected if wrong. 

Archived