ICS L85A2 Questions

Finius
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Hey folks,

I'm struggling to find decent reviews and consistent information on the ICS L85A2. I have a few questions and want some general information, so if anyone can help me out with answers to these questions, I'd be very grateful:

1. Types/Sizes/Compatability of the following: Gears, tappet plate, nozzle, spring guides, pistons and heads, cylinders and heads, bearings and shims, motor etc (i.e. everything I'd need to completely rebuild the gearbox).

2. What hopup unit does it use, how easy are they to find?

3. Does it take standard inner barrels? I'd heard that the early versions used some weird unique type? What length?

4. Can I fit an AB mosfet in there?

5. Most ICS information claims they've built it in a process that mimics the real build; stamped steel and welding, how's the metal, is it any good?

6. The plastic grips etc, what are they like colourwise?

7. Any general feelings on performance, niggles, problems you've had that you want to let me know about?

This information is available in bits and bats around the internet, but very few places can confirm what another place is saying, so please don't tell me to search, I've tried it already; what I want is solid opinion from real people with hands on knowledge...

Cheers folks!

• Supporters

Thanks for getting back to me, that's a fairly good start to justifying my most expensive single airsoft purchase to date :D

When you say it's not the RS dimensions, what exactly do you mean? Is it off by much?

Cheers!

• Supporters

2. proprietary hop up, bit wierd if you ask me and they are sometimes a little 'funky' from the factory, mis-sized parts obstructing full hopping potential. it is similar to an M16's, but and M16 WILL NOT fit.

3. Anything you will find in any shop for about a year now will be on the newer Hop unit so yes, standard barrels fit

5. really good,hefty, but not too much.

6. pretty close as far as I can tell

7. It's the L85 I'd have. other than the WE one.

Wait for hugh :P

I have just brought one early in the week and it looks and feels great build quality (at least externally) is great , proforms well, mags seem to be a problem unless you buy the ics ones.

Other than that can't really help ATM as it's early days for me with it so haven't had chance to open her up and check the insides out yet.

• Supporters

I'm glad to see generally good remarks, though none of you are helping me save up for important stuff, like rent, or driving lessons, or uni books for September, but I forgive you!

I've done more googling, looks like 510mm for the barrel?

Sarni, what do you mean about Mags? I was hoping it'd take Chinese low-caps since I want quite a few, or are ICS still finicky about their mag compatability?

Still want to know about internals and fitting a MOSFET in there if anyone knows anything about those; if anyone can tell me more about the hop that'd be great too, and general feedback still welcome!

Thanks folks!

:D

To quote Oddball

Hey man, I only play with 'em, I don't know hows they work...

I own an ICS L86, which is practially the same as the L85.

Ok, I'll see if I can help:

1 + 2)Dave has spent more time inside my L86 than I have. But - you can buy the ICS hop-up if you need a new one. You can fit some other hop-up units, only it requires a major conversion (this is something i haven't, and to be honest, don't intend to do, as I'm not sure how to do it). I know a guy over on Arnies who has managed to stuff a Promethius HU in.

Some ICS SA80s have their hop-arms slightly too long. This results in ridiculous over-hop. Even when I had the hop set to completely off, the arm was still depressed, sending my rounds skywards... Easy to fix, just carefully trim the arm.

3)Any ICS SA80s made after the L86 was released do. The orrigional L85s (from when ICS first released them) could not. After a few complaints, ICS decided to make the L86 'standard' and modified their L85s to do the same. Not sure on length (I have the L86, which is 590-610)

4)Sorry man, I have no idea.

5)It seems nice enough. It doesn't bend or anything. Only problem I have is that it can be a right royal pain to take it apart/put it back together (as it is steel, and the motor is magnetised... :rolleyes: ) Colour isn't too bad either - it isn't shiny, glossy black, nor is it dull matt. Some people say the L85 is too heavy. I do not agree. I can easily carry (and fire) the L86 LSW in one hand, pistol style. It is not 'heavy'. It is 'hefty'. Lets put it this way, you won't forget it in a hurry...

6)If you've handled real SA80s, you will notice the colour difference. It is hard to describe, but they are noticably not the 'right' colour. I'd say they appear to be a bit on the bright olive side. I know some people get peeved with this, but frankly I don't care, and few people will ever know. The handgaurd doesn't attach like the real one - this is released by a push-button mechanism. ICS went for reliability and ease of game use (quick, tool-less battery changes) over 100% RS accuracy. Accordingly, the real DD RiS Handguard won't fit it (which is why Madbull are releasing an ICS version).

7)Both it and the L86 are very fun airsoft weapons to use. But, do not be fooled, there are problems.

I've already mentioned the poor hop-up build. It can suffer from semi-lock up - if it does, do not yank the trigger. This can snap the trigger link, which is plastic. This requires you to buy a new trigger set for £30. (That said, with the correct battery, you can tease single shots out of the thing whilst on full-auto)

Taking it appart/putting it back together can be a real pain - it can often slip at the wrong moment, and leave you with the chassis incorrectly lined up, and it can take a fair bit of effort to take them appart again.

But! I love my ICS. In my 2+ years of 'softing, I've used a lot of airsoft guns. I've also been given the chance to use the other airsoft SA80s on the market. And honestly, the ICS is my favourite. Yes, it can be temperamental, and yes, it isn't a 100% replica - but then again, can you honestly show me an airsoft gun that doesn't have some sort of failing? Of the other Sayties avaliable, it is the easiest to maintain and open up (but I'll admit, the average Armalite is much easier).

I hope this has been of use

• Supporters

Thanks for that Hubert :D

I'm feeling pretty mixed about what you've said, my intention you see is to give the thing a full DMR setup internally, this means modifying some parts permanently, it also means taking it to bits and putting it back together quite a lot.

I think I'll still chance it, it looks like a nice gun.

Any idea of gearbox and mag compatability (I'd heard G&P mags worked)? Does it take a large battery, because some people say large, others say custom? When the trigger locks on semi, is it like most other AEGs where setting it to Safe and then back to semi will fix the problem?

Thanks again folks!

Semi-lock - flip down to full auto, give a quick blast and you should be happy.

I'll just point out that Semi-lock on the ICS happens due to very rapid semi-auto shooting. If you're plinking away gently, pulling the trigger properly, all should be fine. If however, you're yanking at it, trying to put all a wall of fire (on Semi... :rolleyes: ) going "blam-blam-blam-blam-blam!" with very rapid trigger pulls, you're far more likely to get lock-up.

I'm not sure about the battery part, as the L86 handguard is different to the L85. Since ICS went for playability over realism, I do know that the handguard is slightly larger to accomodate for big batteries.

Magazines. Good question :lol:

In theory, King Arms, Magpull EMAGs and PMAGs, MAG STANAGs, Star Real-Caps all are supposed to fit.

Mine won't accept TM mags, and when I tried it, PMAGs didn't either (but that was because my LSW hadn't been put back together 100%, and the chassis was out of line)

Looks wise? That was what sold me on the SA80. In my mind, the things are works of art, best looking firearms out there. And you certainly turn a few heads when you come trotting out to the field with your L85/L86 in hand.

• Supporters

Rang my local site and they stock them, so they'll be able to sell me a battery with it, so no problem there :D

Semi lock shouldn't be a problem, and as long as I can get hold of a few midcaps jobs' a good 'un!

Thanks for answering practically all my questions Hubert :D Now all I need is to know what the gearbox is like for replacement parts if anyone knows :D (I've heard that it takes a mix of V3 and V2 stuff, so I'm a little confused!)

Cheers!

If anyone's interested, I dug around some more and someone came up with the details on the internals I was still after;

Nozzle/Tappet are proprietary, gears are standard v2/v3 as is the piston, motor is short type and the cylinder is type 0.

Apparently you can fit a H nub in the hop unit too which is brilliant for what I'm aiming to achieve...

Consequently, when I get my L85 in a few weeks, I'll be doing a full review and pictoral takedown guide (as well as giving information on the upgrades I'll be performing), I'll consolidate all the information in this thread into there (and of course give credit where it's due).

Cheers folks!

• AF-UK Founding Member
Consequently, when I get my L85 in a few weeks, I'll be doing a full review and pictoral takedown guide (as well as giving information on the upgrades I'll be performing), I'll consolidate all the information in this thread into there (and of course give credit where it's due).

Look forward to it! :)

Archived