Fed up of Tech delays. (Last update...)

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Over a year is utterly insane, you need to be badgering whoever these people/companies are and definitely name and shame them because I wouldn't want to send any work their way.  I sent off a GBBR to this bloke a couple of years back - https://www.facebook.com/Paradigmrifleworks/ - was told something like 6 weeks, around 7-8 months later (having paid the full amount before posting off the gun) after dozens of messages, dozens of e-mails, ringing the guy one time per day and not once having the phone answered etc I just turned up on his doorstep and politely asked where my gun was.  Had it back a few weeks later.  He claimed a serious illness in the family around the 3-4 month point, I said ok, I waited months more and said don't even worry about finishing the work simply take 20 minutes to go down the PO and return my property, hell I'd even come and collect it myself in person, still total silence... nah.

After a year I'd absolutely be going to the place in person and asking to see my property, even if it were a long drive and time was tight.  Sounds like you've already been more than patient, don't let these people off the hook.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

i must admit i'm not sure i'd accept anything beyond a couple of months for work done unless it was agreed up front.

the rare time i'm employing my local tech's services it's normally a case of same day, but then it's both of us working to figure out what the problem is and normally i have a fair idea before going (perfect example is bugfixing the ascu2 where we needed to try a bunch of different cutoff levers to get one with the right lift to trigger the system properly)

think about it like this- would you accept your car being in the garage for that long? how about a washing machine? or a computer?

18 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

Over a year is utterly insane, you need to be badgering whoever these people/companies are and definitely name and shame them because I wouldn't want to send any work their way.  I sent off a GBBR to this bloke a couple of years back - https://www.facebook.com/Paradigmrifleworks/ - was told something like 6 weeks, around 7-8 months later (having paid the full amount before posting off the gun) after dozens of messages, dozens of e-mails, ringing the guy one time per day and not once having the phone answered etc I just turned up on his doorstep and politely asked where my gun was.  Had it back a few weeks later.  He claimed a serious illness in the family around the 3-4 month point, I said ok, I waited months more and said don't even worry about finishing the work simply take 20 minutes to go down the PO and return my property, hell I'd even come and collect it myself in person, still total silence... nah.

After a year I'd absolutely be going to the place in person and asking to see my property, even if it were a long drive and time was tight.  Sounds like you've already been more than patient, don't let these people off the hook.

Ive personally never had to wait any longer than 2-3 weeks which with my playing schedule worked out nicely and even had phone calls to ask if I wanted added work done etc. with the exception of a certain gun type that has a longer lead time with a well known tech which is well known so again not an issue on the wait. A team mate of mine had the complete opposite experience with a well known tech who came out with every excuse under the sun for not doing or completing the work but having added their personal account on social media as well we found out he was just taking the piss. In total he waited I think 8 months for a recoil back and the work done was sub par, in the same vein another team mate sent a sniper rifle to the same tech and it came back worse off than it was sent and the work that was done wasn't what was agreed.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Ive personally never had to wait any longer than 2-3 weeks which with my playing schedule worked out nicely and even had phone calls to ask if I wanted added work done etc. with the exception of a certain gun type that has a longer lead time with a well known tech which is well known so again not an issue on the wait. A team mate of mine had the complete opposite experience with a well known tech who came out with every excuse under the sun for not doing or completing the work but having added their personal account on social media as well we found out he was just taking the piss. In total he waited I think 8 months for a recoil back and the work done was sub par, in the same vein another team mate sent a sniper rifle to the same tech and it came back worse off than it was sent and the work that was done wasn't what was agreed.

Name and shame?

• Supporters

I did once have a gun with a tech for 11mths it wasn’t a problem though as he was having a real problem sourcing a part AND he kept me fully up to date every mth on the state of play with finding said part . 

Then a team mate bought a gun from shoot’n’scoot that was promised in 6wks but took 8mths and when it did finally turn up it wasn’t even completed ! 🤬

3 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Hmmm that name turns up too often but to be fair most of his work I have seen has been ok.

Recently it seems to have improved including turn around times but having said that one bad experience is enough to leave a sour taste and not get repeat custom

56 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

I did once have a gun with a tech for 11mths it wasn’t a problem though as he was having a real problem sourcing a part AND he kept me fully up to date every mth on the state of play with finding said part . 

See this is perfect, lots of communication. You (as the customer) was happy with this and was understanding.

I wouldnt mind a longer than expected wait as long as the communication was there, if I were the OP I would have chased up/sought refunds from most of these techs by now as frankly those waiting times with lack of comms is taking the piss!!

If its an easy fix or a fault finding mission they should not have taken on the job if they were not prepared to complete, or got in touch and apologised, refused to do the work and sent the gun back at the very least!.

Surely you have some form of contract from these people when you send them a RIF? There must be some sort of procedure, especially if they are with retailers?

This is why i've done everything myself from day 1. I only send my stuff off if I am truly stuck because I don't have the tools that are 100% required and no way around it. That's when I knock on Sam's door from Kingdom of Airsoft and bug him :D

52 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Recently it seems to have improved including turn around times but having said that one bad experience is enough to leave a sour taste and not get repeat custom

You want a recoil built and not just fancy parts thrown in, SixG is the way

• Supporters
48 minutes ago, AK47frizzle said:

That's when I knock on Sam's door from Kingdom of Airsoft and bug him

Whose work is not getting done while he's helping you?

This comment may be less flippant than it first appears.  I suspect the root problem that a lot of techs have is being soft touches and unable to say "No".

5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I suspect the root problem that a lot of techs have is being soft touches and unable to say "No". 

That's a polite way of saying "unprofessional". :lol: (IMHO)

• Supporters

I’d say as a counter to the ‘DIY’ tech work argument , why should I ? Now I’m not averse to saving a beer token or two but if I decide I’m going to pay someone to do it for me then I expect it done in a reasonable and timely fashion .

Your snowed under with work ? Don’t care .

You’ve got family problems ? Sorry about that , but it’s not my problem .

You’ve been let down/ripped off buy suppliers/the nextdoor neighbours nephew who said he was a tech as well ? Again sorry to hear this but I don’t care it’s not my problem , it’s your business’s problem not the customers , you got a problem of ANY sort you contact the customer immediately .

You’ve taken my goods to work on and would be expecting to be paid for this work so immaterial of outside influences you’ve entered in to a contract with me and I expect you to complete this contract OR return my goods to me ASAP end of . 

Agree with the above, if your taking money for a service then you should behave as professional as possible end of!!

Sounds like Airsoft techs seem to be hobbyists out of their depth (for the most part).. Hence why I use the local shop and if they say upfront its a few weeks before they can look at it due to being busy, I say great.. Thanks for the warning.

• Supporters

You mean to tell me you've been waiting over a year for a service that should have taken what? A month at the very most? What a joke. If it were me I'd have long since run out of patience. 

Lack of communication is bullshit and there's no excuse that you can't write up a 5 minute email to inform your customer of the status of their item.

Either way get your shit back and then name and shame these places at the very least. They've offered a service, taken your money (and your gun!) and given you nothing in return. 

The problem some of you guys have missed is that three of these RIFs are under warranty with the specific retailer they are with, either warranty because they were bought there or under warranty because they were upgraded there. 

Can't exactly take them anywhere else. Without have to shell out more. 

Which is the why I needed to rant as I feel helpless and needed to vent to you 🙂

6 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

The problem some of you guys have missed is that three of these RIFs are under warranty with the specific retailer they are with, either warranty because they were bought there or under warranty because they were upgraded there. 

Which is the why I needed to rant as I feel helpless and needed to vent to you 🙂

If that's how they deal with warranty work I'd ask for refund and go elsewhere.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

At least for one of those couldn't you just ask for a new gun at this point? 6 months is taking the piss for repairs under warranty.

2 minutes ago, Gepard said:

At least for one of those couldn't you just ask for a new gun at this point? 6 months is taking the piss for repairs. 

As they are going out of business they do not have the ability to get another in. 

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

As they are going out of business they do not have the ability to get another in. 

If that's the case then I find it unlikely they're gonna get your shit fixed in the few weeks they're still online. 

39 minutes ago, Gepard said:

If that's the case then I find it unlikely they're gonna get your shit fixed in the few weeks they're still online. 

Yup. Hence the rant as I feel pretty helpless about the situation!

18 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Good, it sounds like they should.

I hope you get your RIFs back.

I will definitely get them back as they are pretty local. 

Archived