Fed up of Tech delays. (Last update...)

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

26 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Did you ever just try the bit off butyl tape under the adjustment arm? Works/peanuts

That wouldn't be for me to do, but my tech! I would prefer a TDC mod personally if it can be done well. But will see!

The arm isn't the loose thing, its the slide that it moves, just seems to love moving and forcing the arm central. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/04/2019 at 10:35, Asomodai said:

Just got off the phone with the tech, he'll take it back and we may go the TDC mod route! Take out all the inherent issues with the MP5 hop. 

Having read this entire post the one thing I get is that the techs are crap , not testing their work and the shop owners do not give a toss.

I would suggest you name and shame the shops you are dealing with for the worst customer service.

Consumer law is out there but you try getting an airsoft shop to abide by the rules. I learn t from my first ever purchase which was not as advertised and very second hand, not shop display as stated. The owners tech said I had done the damage he found, total bull to get out of repairing at their cost.

I do all my own teching now and the weekend past is an example where I was out ranging most of the other guns on the field many of which had great rates of fire, looked good, sounded good but shot like shit.

The majority of owners do not even know how to set their hop up correctly let alone tech them.

The average cost of my guns after being upgraded is £450 not like a fellow players new Marui 416 which was a thing of beauty that with upgrades cost him £1400 ( shot dam well though).

I would help out any fellow air-softer with his gun but there is a limit to how much charity work a person can do.

My advice learn to tech and do it yourself unless it is under warranty then set a time limit of 4 weeks for that warranty repair after that its trading standards!

For those still following. Took my XM8 out for the first time since being teched on. All it had done was the barrel stabilised and the AOE corrected... It ate the piston within a mag. Sent back to the tech... :(

12 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Your tech appears to be shit...

Yup.. Tried blaming it on the SRC Gen 3 Gearbox, despite being lauded as one of the best made Gearboxes outside of a TM. Piston is a piston. if the AOE was correct then it wouldn't have eaten a Piston. 

That sucks, you've had no luck at all with the work done. Seems a running theme with self proclaimed techs.

As others say, learn how to do it. It's not that hard really and there's an abundance of vids out there. TIme is an issue for some but it doesn't really take that long once you get your head around it and it's a damn sight quicker than these apparent techs turnaround. Plus you know what you've done and that it really has been done and works.

Sounds like most of these techs no nothing more than the average player judging by the threads about work done or not as the case may be. I'm sure there must be the odd Tech out there that knows their shit but most seem to be sniffing other peoples.

2 minutes ago, Immortal said:

That sucks, you've had no luck at all with the work done. Seems a running theme with so proclaimed techs.

As others say, learn how to do it. It's not that hard really and there's an abundance of vids out there. TIme is an issue for some but it doesn't really take that long once you get your head around it and it's a damn sight quicker than these apparent techs turnaround. Plus you know what you've done and that it really has been done and works.

Sounds like most of these techs no nothing more than the average player judging by the threads about work done or not as the case may be. I'm sure there must be the odd Tech out there that knows their shit but most seem to be sniffing other peoples.

I can do it all myself, I just have some many guns to do and so little time. I honestly only have time to do anything on a Sunday and thats when I am out playing! 

Only reason why I was able to do the P90 build was because it was Christmas Holidays. 

I am thinking of doing my MG36 myself over an extended period of time, though setting AOE is my weak point. Fairly important for an LMG!

• Supporters
On 04/04/2019 at 13:37, Asomodai said:

The arm isn't the loose thing, its the slide that it moves, just seems to love moving and forcing the arm central

Yup, my Galaxy MP5K hop slide does the same.  It seems to be an inherent design flaw, and I'm not sure that there is a fix for it that doesn't involve some sort of bodge.  I've cable tied the slide to the barrel to keep tension on it, you may have to just tape the arm in place to get the same result.

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

Yup, my Galaxy MP5K hop slide does the same.  It seems to be an inherent design flaw, and I'm not sure that there is a fix for it that doesn't involve some sort of bodge.  I've cable tied the slide to the barrel to keep tension on it, you may have to just tape the arm in place to get the same result.

Lets hope it can be TDC'd and give us all some hope!

It doesn't help that MP5's act like a TM Recoil but without any actual recoil parts. 

I was always under the impression the gen 3 SRC box was the dogs bollocks. Perhaps the wrong toothed piston?

Did you experience any kind of barrel blockage / jam etc that would otherwise cause the piston to get air locked, even momentarily will essentially cause premature engagement if on full auto. Just sayin ;)

11 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

I was always under the impression the gen 3 SRC box was the dogs bollocks. Perhaps the wrong toothed piston?

It was the original piston. Nothings been changed in the gearbox apart from the spring to a M95.

3 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Did you experience any kind of barrel blockage / jam etc that would otherwise cause the piston to get air locked, even momentarily will essentially cause premature engagement if on full auto. Just sayin ;)

Nope. Was running perfectly fine. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

Yup.. Tried blaming it on the SRC Gen 3 Gearbox, despite being lauded as one of the best made Gearboxes outside of a TM. Piston is a piston. if the AOE was correct then it wouldn't have eaten a Piston. 

44 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Another myth that needs to die.

4 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Another myth that needs to die.

Which part ;)

• Supporters
42 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Which part ;)

The brilliant gearbox part.

Most stock aeg gearboxes are pretty much even all that really makes a difference is assembly and qc. Take ARES renowned for killing themselves but the parts are actually good just don't work well together unless assembly is perfect. 

SRC is pretty much JG/CYMA/APS territory.

1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

The brilliant gearbox part.

Most stock aeg gearboxes are pretty much even all that really makes a difference is assembly and qc. Take ARES renowned for killing themselves but the parts are actually good just don't work well together unless assembly is perfect. 

SRC is pretty much JG/CYMA/APS territory.

Well, it was running perfectly fine before being opened up ;)

2 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Probably was most do, sack your tech

This /\ 

Pretty much the whole point of AOE correction is the prevent piston damage! 

Has the spring been cut? I’ve seen a cut spring (cut end inside the piston) apply a rotational force on the piston and strip it within a few mags. 

5 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Has the spring been cut? I’ve seen a cut spring (cut end inside the piston) apply a rotational force on the piston and strip it within a few mags. 

Shouldn't have been. Brand new spring, that was performed by a different tech a few months ago. 

• 1 month later...

Final (I hope) update on this. 

The Mp5, XM8 and SL8 all came back today. TDC mod was not doable, so the tech shimmed the crap out of the hop unit. The hop lever no longer moves and it performs brilliantly. Cant wait to take it out! 

The SL8's trigger has been sorted, needed more shimming and fires nicely 445 fps all day long. I did just drill a hole into the side of the body so I can access the cut off lever with a needle if I lock up on semi.; 

The XM8 needed some proper work. 

3B11ABF7-9137-40A9-AFBE-06D379B5E58B.thumb.jpeg.8351f1e58dd53b4007ea6d6b636a6b4c.jpeg

The Bevel gear creamed itself and the last tooth on the piston. Not sure what screwed up first. Opted to get some proper decent Lonex Helical High torques 16:1 and an FPS Softair Piston head and piston. The gears are built for strength rather then speed so the XM8 has dropped ROF. FPS has also dropped a little to 315, but not fussed about that. It does sound much quieter then before!

We'll see how everything goes. I'll need to do a range test soon. 

Having worked with Apple and observing first-hand how they handle the repair process, although I take issue with certain parts of it, it is a cut above the rest.

I know Apple splits opinion and from a customer point-of-view out-of-warranty costs are (purposely) not worthwhile, however, the in-warranty service is excellent.

The customer received updates every 24-48 hrs, parts came the next day and there was pride in a job well done.

(The following opinion may or may not be correct.)

As I've said before, the problem with the Airsoft industry is that we rely on HK/Taiwan for RIFs. The QC is poor and the profits don't get reinvested into anything other than more RIFs.

Spare part availability, trained and authorised techs, compatible upgrade paths, etc would the minimum I've now come to expect from an Airsoft version of the Apple Authorised Service Provider program.

Considering how much one can customise the basic AR-15 platform, there should be plenty of work to justify a professional and timely service.

• 1 month later...

Discovered another problem so have felt I had to write up about the tech that worked on them. 

Archived