Russian LMG dilemma

kasaran
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Russian LMG dilemma  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which one to get

• CYMA RPK
    • LCT RPK
    • A&K PKM

So.  The one weapon class i have not delved into are the support classes.  

In light of my recent aquisition of russian gear it leaves me two choices.   Whether to get an RPK or PKM.  

As for RPK's  they are long and similar to handle as an AK.  With a single fire mode which would make it more usable on some sites and game modes.  For this i have 2 manufacturers.   The CYMA is the cheapest option. Though sold out everywhere, it would be compatable with my existing AK74u batteries i expect.  The LCT i handled in firesupport only costs £40 more and wouldnt take the cyma mag i took in.  Turns out the one i brought had a slightly fatter lip than the LCT mag and at inspection of the other mags this seems to be a varience in CYMA quality control.  They could be modified to fit however.  So long RPK mags and maybe the drum mag will fit onto the LCT with some modification.  The battery compartment is smaller. So new betteries will be needed.

The A&K PKM is a total unknown for me in regards to weight and manufacturer.  I have never seen one in the field either. Im tempted to.take a drive just to handle one as i expect it to be fairly weighty.  But it would standout in the field and avoid the 'thats not a proper LMG' opinion people hold over the RPK.  Fairly expensive, though i have found it on sites offering it on finance with 0% apr.

Anyone got any experience with these guns in regards to reliability, common repairs and upgrades etc.

1 minute ago, RMDavis said:

Buy this beauty!

https://www.davescustomairsoft.co.uk/AirsoftWeapons/Support/LCTPKP

It's a bargain... 

Yeah... Im aware of LCT doing a  PK PKM and PKP.   Buuuut over a grand?  Far to rich for my liking

3 minutes ago, kasaran said:

Yeah... Im aware of LCT doing a  PK PKM and PKP.   Buuuut over a grand?  Far to rich for my liking

It's a lovely bit of kit (I have seen it in the metal at Dave's shop) 

As for the options you've provided I think my money would go on a A&K PKM. Never been a fan of the RPK's and the PKM is just one mean looking beast! 

One thing to be aware of with the LCT RPK - The front end i.e. front sight block, outer barrel etc. are secured to the front trunnion with just two tiny grub screws, which (as I've sadly found out myself!) can be a point of failure, as they shear quite easily. Pot metal perhaps, in any case it's poor design.

The solution in my case was to get it sent off to a tech so he can drill and tap two bigger holes with some heavy duty screws, then loctite down (And upgrade it at the same time 😎) - something to be aware of in any case.

IIRC this is the basic LCT AK design, but the increased weight of the RPK means that those screws are working harder to keep each end secure.

E: Apart from that I should state the RPK is a fantastic piece of kit and I enjoyed using it at every game I brought it to.

Also, I've got the CYMA drum mag and it fits and feeds perfectly with my LCT. I haven't used CYMA long mags in it yet however.

• Supporters

<Pedant> That's a trilemma. </Pedant>

Sorry, dunno, but what's really important is that you learn to shout "Granata!" in Angry Cyrillic.

43 minutes ago, kasaran said:

A&K PKM

The A&K PKM is good but some point I have from my experience: 

• Externally the Bi-pod is a serious weak point mine broke two months after buying so I had it swapped for a real one and the carry/barrel change handle is not trustworthy when the PKM is fully loaded.   

• Internally the stock hop unit and rubber are not very good I was only getting 35 meters on .25g, changed to the bull gear CNC hop-up and g&g green hop rubber dramatically better 50 meters. 

• Poor ergonomics when the magazine is inserted and firing from the shoulder with no place for bi-pod can be solved with the propriety foregrip. 

• Good points bog-standard a&k 249 gearboxes with quick change spring so easy to work on and spares and repairs are plentiful will accept Real steel parts with minim fettling, 5000 rd box mag and massive battery space. 

LCT RPK is great and CYMA drum mags works fine

Considered the LCT RPD at all?  Bit pricey.

9 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

LCT RPK is great and CYMA drum mags works fine

Considered the LCT RPD at all?  Bit pricey.

It think the issue i found was just that mag.  The one that came with the lct had a thinner lip on it on the front edge.  But when i got home i compared the one i took with my other ak mags and they were all slightly different sizes.  Nothing a bit of sanding wont fix.

If i had a 'nam load out i would be tempted. But its modern kit im looking for.  Im being a bit naughty by wanting a drum for it.  Though i read somewhere that a drum mag was in development.

I use my RPD for Nam and Cold War games but its in service still with lots of militaries around the world.

Most Warsaw Pact countries didn't use the RPK drum mag as it wasn't reliable.

15 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

I use my RPD for Nam and Cold War games but its in service still with lots of militaries around the world.

Most Warsaw Pact countries didn't use the RPK drum mag as it wasn't reliable.

At least then, by reviews the airsoft drum mag will be realistic then xD.  

My mate runs a CYMA drum mag on his LCT RPK and has zero issues with it

• Supporters
3 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

The PKM is probably one of the heaviest guns you'll use in airsoft, though

my mg42 has something to say about that- "berrrrrrrrt"

On 29/03/2019 at 16:06, RMDavis said:

Was just trying to be helpful! 

My bad... 😂

heh, yeah i did spot, and saw the comment and decided to very much avoid.  plus i had my eye on the firesupport lct too.

still undecided mind. 

Archived