Most Glorious WE makarov

Adolf Hamster

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have had issues with mine not feeding the BBs.  Any ideas?  Though it was cold so might be something to do with that.  Also, the hop unit needs a little PTFE tape to keep it in place or it wanders off again.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

lobbing heavy ammo from a pistol always murders the gas effeciency

Errr... how?

Honestly, I have no idea, I'm a GBB virgin.

• Supporters
49 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

I have had issues with mine not feeding the BBs.  Any ideas?  Though it was cold so might be something to do with that.  Also, the hop unit needs a little PTFE tape to keep it in place or it wanders off again.

is she short stroking? mine only misfeeds when it's very cold and it doesn't even have the energy to fire properly.

32 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Errr... how?

Honestly, I have no idea, I'm a GBB virgin.

takes more energy (joule creep) and i tend to find the heavier ammo makes the kick a bit more violent too, all takes gas.

don't really find it a problem myself, i never expect more than a single mag from a fill and anything more is a bonus.

normally with .4's i'll only load to 8 or 10 rounds, of course the plus side is the extra accuracy and range.

Probably is.  What gas are you using in it?  I was using that Ultrair shite as its all I had

• Supporters
48 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i tend to find the heavier ammo makes the kick a bit more violent too, all takes gas.

But... how does it know how much gas to vent on each shot?

Again, honest question.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Again, honest question.

Pressure; the time it takes for the gas to vent plus the valve time to close and the power of the spring operating the valve to return to its original position.

"Science stuff" is the short answer. ;)

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Again, honest question.

i don't really fully understand it myself, but i'll try to explain what i think is happening as it makes sense to me:

the gas comes up from the mag and goes both directions, back starts pushing on the slide and front pushes on the bb

while the bb is in the barrel the flow rate is kept low (relative term) so the float valve stays open

when the bb leaves the barrel the pressure drops, increasing the flow rate which shuts the valve (it's why messing with the valve and it's spring can change fps)

when the valve closes now all the gas can go into pushing the slide back and it cycles normally.

so when you're using heavier ammo it's harder to accelerate, so the pressure spikes increasing leaks from all the usual places (eg around the bb- not a tight fit, and all the places around the nozzle it could leak) and increasing the pressure on the piston while it's in that phase (hence the boost in kick). it also takes longer to accelerate hence the joule creep. the pressure spike is also why the tech at my local shop thinks i'm mad for running a hicapa on .4's and swears i'll blow up a nozzle some day......

the same applies for a longer barrel- the valve stays open until the pressure drops so it just keeps pushing and pushing until the bb's left the barrel, the flow rate for a given gun is tuned for a rough energy level for a given barrel length (hence how you can have NPAS kits for GBB rifles- it's just an adjustable way of tuning the flow rate) so you can expect X joules for Y barrel length and increasing barrel length increases the energy.

that's for marui pattern guns that use a sprung float valve (WE being marui clones in that respect). i have a (kwc?) cybergun co2 1911 that's different, the valve isn't sprung but instead has a protrusion into the chamber so the bb holds the valve open, i suspect what happens here is the valve closes the moment the bb moves far enough to let that happen and it's up to the gas already in the barrel at that point to expand and push the bb, so it's possible that system won't react as well to a longer barrel due to this mechanism but i haven't tested it.

now the caveat is all that could be wrong, but it's a theory that kinda makes logical sense and at least explains all the different phenomina i've observed with these guns. if someone knows this better than i i'd love to know how close (or not) i've got it :P

The joule creep is mostly a matter of gas efficiency. Basically with the lighter ammo you're rif is wasting a lot of gas to send the lighter BB forward and into flight - the wasted gas is simply expelled once the BB has cleared the barrels muzzle. With the heavier ammo it is using the excess to achieve the same thing but because that excess is available it is able to do so.

If the valve was efficient with the gas and only used enough gas to send a light weight BB into flight it would have a lessened ability to push the heavier BB as the excess gas wouldn't be so abundent and therefore less able to do so.

Not accounting for seals and a lot to do with pressure.

• Supporters
56 minutes ago, Slamz said:

Where did you get that holster? It's exactly what I need for my Smersh! 

grey-shop, ordered it along with a gorka and a smersh for maximum cheeky breeky :P

• 5 weeks later...

Resurrecting this post again.  Have you had issues with magazines?  Tried a mates mag in my Makarov and it ran so much better. my mag just doesn't seem to have the power to cycle the gun properly.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Resurrecting this post again.  Have you had issues with magazines?  Tried a mates mag in my Makarov and it ran so much better. my mag just doesn't seem to have the power to cycle the gun properly.

only with overfilling, i have 3 and there's no way to distinguish between them when firing.

try emptying it and filling it when it's completely drained.

Also had an issue with it going full auto as well.  Increasingly feeling like I got a lemon.

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Also had an issue with it going full auto as well.  Increasingly feeling like I got a lemon.

Hmm, not had that one, maybe you got unlucky i do know we's reputation is being a bit hit and miss.

How old is it?

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Not had it long. 3 months?

Hmm, not the sear worn out then.

I've had mine about a year now so i guess you must have got unlucky, any chance of a warrenty return?

Where did you get the Crazy Jet barrel for it and what size did you use?

Working fine tonight in the backyard.  Odd.  Added some tape to keep the hop arm in place. Deffo a better gun with the barrel extension

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Working fine tonight in the backyard.  Odd.  Added some tape to keep the hop arm in place. Deffo a better gun with the barrel extension

Careful with that, pushes the fps a fair bit above what most would consider sensible.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.