shotgun loadout

beany911
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Been thinking of using a shotgun load out for skirmishing.

I have had all sort of aegs from combat machines to Tokyo maruis.

last year I sold all my guns except my shotgun and really enjoyed the shotgun pistol day.

I mainly play as a medic as I got bored of the assault role and wondering if using just a shotgun will be effective or am i better of getting another aeg.

currently I have a cyma tri shot(i don't expect it last long and will upgrade it)

any feedback would be appreciated.

many thanks.

You will be better off with an AEG for most situations. May I suggest an electric snotty like the TM AA12? Best of both world's. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, beany911 said:

cyma tri shot(i don't expect it last long and will upgrade it)

I'll be interested to hear if you manage to get any more performance out of it, and what parts you change.  Offhand, I can only picture the main spring and the barrels and hops being worthwhile changing.

If you enjoyed shotgun + pistol, have you considered a Mk23 as a primary?  There are folk who run them essentially as a 400fps+ DMR.

I've seen shotguns work very well at CQB sites but they're an acquired taste and usually require a very different approach to your average AEG. If you're happy with your shotgun why not stick with it for a while? If you decide that, after a few sessions, it isn't working for you then you can always look at what options are available to you then? Obviously it will be a different kettle of fish once you're running it on normal skirmish days but I've seen a fair number of people pull it off effectively.

There isn't really a wrong or right answer as it all falls down to personal preference, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Will a gun capable of semi-automatic or full auto have an inherent advantage over a pump/bolt action? Under most circumstances yes but as long as you play to your strengths and have fun that shouldn't matter.

Typically the most successful guys I see running shotguns use a combination of pistol and shotgun, but you could always run a TM AA-12 or TM SGR-12 as Asomodai suggested. Obviously shotguns tend to favour CQB sites but I've seen videos of the AA-12 and SGR-12 used quite effectively outdoors too.

• Supporters

The electro-shotguns do look like beasts, but they're essentially 3-barrel AEGs.  They seems to miss the point of a gun that you need to put some effort into.

I'm gagging to get my hands on a Secutor Velites G-II gas pump action.  I'd go for a TM Breacher, but my lottery numbers haven't come up yet.

12 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I'm gagging to get my hands on a Secutor Velites G-II gas pump action.  I'd go for a TM Breacher, but my lottery numbers haven't come up yet.

I bought one that needed repair, fixed it, sold it.

They’re OK, not as well built as the TM’s, but miles better than a springer

• Supporters

And wasn't I kicking myself for missing that?

That was a G-III though:

It's the G-II breacher that I'm after specifically.  New stock has been "on the way" to the UK for the past 6 months or more. :(

29 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

And wasn't I kicking myself for missing that?

That was a G-III though:

It's the G-II breacher that I'm after specifically.  New stock has been "on the way" to the UK for the past 6 months or more. :(

Same workings though, personally I’d buy a TM. Better built, better detailed design, more reliable.

The stock fitment is particularly poor, so maybe the breacher is better

I did have the TM breacher on my wish list but knocked it off when I realised I would be spending so much to put myself at a disadvantage. I feel like it must be like upping the difficulty setting in a game using a pump action. No forgiveness for mistakes, less viable engagement ranges and slower time between shots for engaging multi targets on a flank or such. 

The two AEG TMs just feel like why are you even buying a shotgun at that point and at the price you could be getting in to NGR or some such thing. 

If the TM breacher was cheaper say 150 I could consider it but it costs more than a hi-capa which would do me a lot more good than the breacher. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

The stock fitment [on the Velites G-III] is particularly poor, so maybe the breacher is better

The G-II has an integral tank in the grip, which seems like less to go wrong.  I'm aware of repeated problem reports with the swappable gas tanks on the other Velites models, so I'd actively avoid them.

5 minutes ago, Musica said:

I realised I would be spending so much to put myself at a disadvantage. I feel like it must be like upping the difficulty setting in a game using a pump action. No forgiveness for mistakes, less viable engagement ranges and slower time between shots for engaging multi targets on a flank or such.

Better than a springer pump action though; the action on the gas guns is much lighter.

Yes, they're not effective, but it's very satisfying when you do get a kill, because you've put that bit of effort in.  It makes it more personal.

12 minutes ago, Musica said:

I did have the TM breacher on my wish list but knocked it off when I realised I would be spending so much to put myself at a disadvantage. I feel like it must be like upping the difficulty setting in a game using a pump action. No forgiveness for mistakes, less viable engagement ranges and slower time between shots for engaging multi targets on a flank or such. 

The two AEG TMs just feel like why are you even buying a shotgun at that point and at the price you could be getting in to NGR or some such thing. 

If the TM breacher was cheaper say 150 I could consider it but it costs more than a hi-capa which would do me a lot more good than the breacher. 

It certainly is!

But there's nothing more satisfying then out playing somebody and getting a kill with the KSG.

For some strange reason the noise it makes when racking has the 'fear factor' I haven't a clue why especially when I am at such a massive disadvantage! 

Myself and a mate at work are currently in the process of trying to make a custom tracer to fit on the end of the KSG. Glow in the dark on 6 shot will look bloody awesome I'm sure! 😁

3 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

The G-II has an integral tank in the grip, which seems like less to go wrong.  I'm aware of repeated problem reports with the swappable gas tanks on the other Velites models, so I'd actively avoid them.

Better than a springer pump action though; the action on the gas guns is much lighter.

Yes, they're not effective, but it's very satisfying when you do get a kill, because you've put that bit of effort in.  It makes it more personal.

I feel like you are at more of a disadvantage than a GBB user with his real cap mags and I'd much prefer a GBB P90 than the gas pump shotgun. Hell I think I'd prefer a leaver action rifle at least it has range. https://airsoftimports.co.uk/products/umarex-legends-cowboy-m1894-lever-action-rifle-6mm-version-c02?variant=22103878795382

7 minutes ago, RMDavis said:

It certainly is!

But there's nothing more satisfying then out playing somebody and getting a kill with the KSG.

For some strange reason the noise it makes when racking has the 'fear factor' I haven't a clue why especially when I am at such a massive disadvantage! 

Myself and a mate at work are currently in the process of trying to make a custom tracer to fit on the end of the KSG. Glow in the dark on 6 shot will look bloody awesome I'm sure! 😁

Maybe I need to try it but as I'm just starting out I'm looking for advantages not disadvantages to spend my money on hehe.

most cqb you'll be fine backed up with a good gbb ,but depending on the field especially if its quite open it wont be easy. 

• Supporters
58 minutes ago, Musica said:

I feel like you are at more of a disadvantage than a GBB user with his real cap mags

Oh, absolutely.  The only advantage is an instant response 3 shot burst, which can (very occasionally) mean you get the drop on someone at close range.  Other than that though, it's a labour of love.  It can be fun for a final game though, just to end the day with something different.

• Mostly Retired Moderators
4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Is this any good?

Played my first game with my springer after a few warm up games with the AEG

Sneakily stalking around bushes , scaring the shit out of other players when reloading and pumping out some love. 

Quite fancy the new Krytac shotty if it comes out 😎

E6AD2302-B179-4AF2-B732-0619E47ED899.jpeg

I've loved playing a shotgun based loadout in woodland. Yes I'm usually outranged but it makes it more fun when things come together. Especially with summer coming in and the undergrowth coming back so you can hide more easily. You can make the range work for you with a little effort. 

I second getting a Mk23 for those shots where you would normally be outranged. 

Archived