GUN QUIZ!

Longshot
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have created a quick quiz to tax your minds. It contains 15 questions related to modern firearms that any self-respecting gun nut would either know or be able to have a good guess at.

I will post the correct answers up tomorrow. In the meantime feel free to post your answers, but bear in mind the following:

• This quiz is designed to test what you know, not what you can google - if you cheat you're only cheating yourself...
  • If you decide to post your answers you should avoid looking stupid by spelling correctly (e.g. 'Kalashnikov' not 'Klashnikof') and using correct terminology (e.g. 'a sniper rifle' not 'a sniper' when discussing a gun)
  • I don't care how well you do, and so won't be tallying scores or giving out prizes

1, What does the ‘K’ in ‘MP5K’ stand for?

2, On a Kalashnikov AK-47 rifle where would you place the fire selector for fully automatic mode – at its highest, lowest or middle setting?

3, What is the commonly used name for the rifle type which has its magazine and majority of internal workings in the stock (e.g. the FA-MAS, AUG, SA80, etc.)?

4, What does the acronym ‘ACOG’ stand for?

5, What does an ‘SD’ added to the end of any MP5 variant tell you about the gun?

6, What calibre is the standard MAC-11 machine pistol chambered for?

7, Who is commonly associated/credited with creating the ArmaLite AR-15 (that went on to become M16/M4/etc.) rifle design?

8, In what year did the Beretta ‘M9’ become the official service pistol of the US military?

9, What does the acronym ‘FA-MAS’ stand for?

10, What does the ‘19’ refer to on a ‘9x19mm’ pistol round?

11, What does the acronym ‘AE’ stand for in association with the .50AE round most commonly associated with the Desert Eagle pistol?

12, What is the round capacity of a standard M1911 magazine in .45 calibre?

13, Who is the largest manufacturer of handguns in the US?

14, What does the acronym ‘IMI’ stand for, in relation to the company that created the Uzi, Desert Eagle, Galil, etc.?

15, What does an ‘S’ found within any Kalashnikov variant tell you about the design of the gun?

• Supporters

Kurz

middle-> thanks zak :)

Bullpup

advanced combat optical gunsight

silenced

Something tells me .36 or something but that just seems ridiculous.<- no idea

Eugene stoner

2002-2004 around then <- guess

Fusil d'Assault de la Maufacture d'Arme de Saint-Étien (sp?)

19th century <- uber guess

Action express

Colt? <- guess

Israeli military industries.

Short.

No Google, I just like guns and have no life:P

• Supporters

Kurtz

middle

Bullpup

Don't know

It is a suppressed version (built in)

9mm

again with not knowing

2000?

I would assume something in french about surrendering.

length of the bullet

AMMO EXTREEEEEEEEEEMMMEEEEEEEE (probably not right, but definatly should be)

Colt Firearms

Israel Military something.

Shorter

1)Kurtz, German for short

2)Middle

3)Bullpup (bonus comment - first real bullpup was the British Janson-Enfield Rifle EM2, Service Rifle No9, Automatic! Adopted for service in 1948, dropped 4 years later for NATO/US)

4)Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight. (So saying 'ACOG scope' is redundant, like ATM Machine...)

5)built in/integral Suppressor.

6) .380 ACP

7)That would be one Mr Eugene Stoner

8)That would be 1985 IRRC. One of the most unpopular decisions in US Military procurement history, as the SIG-Sauer P226 was more popular.

9) Fusil d'Assaut de la Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Étienne or for those of you who don't speak French, Assault rifle of the Saint-Étienne weapon factory. Nicknamed Le Clarion "the Bugle" because it (apparently) looks like one.

10)Length of the bullet, 19mm long. 9X19mm was designed by Georg Luger in 1902. It is known as parabellum - Si vis pacem, para bellum (LAtin :P)"If you seek peace, prepare for war", the motto of the German armaments company Luger was working for.

11)I believe this one means Action Express

12)7 rounds isn't it?

13)One would assume Colt. However, H&K, SIG-Sauer and Glock all have substantial factories there now.

14)Israel Military Industries, not Israeli

15)Not short/shortened. 'U' stands for Ukorochenniy, which literaly means 'Shortened'. An AK with an 'S' following AK - so AKS-47 - has a folding metal stock, designed for use with mechanised infantry. AKMS is the paratrooper folding/collapsing stock.

SPOILERS! HERE BE THE ANSWERS:

1, What does the ‘K’ in ‘MP5K’ stand for? – Kurz (German for ‘short’)

2, On a Kalashnikov AK-47 rifle where would you place the fire selector for fully automatic mode – at its highest, lowest or middle setting? – Middle

3, What is the commonly used name for the rifle type which has its magazine and majority of internal workings in the stock (e.g. the FA-MAS, AUG, SA80, etc.)? – Bullpup

4, What does the acronym ‘ACOG’ stand for? – Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight

5, What does an ‘SD’ added to the end of any MP5 variant tell you about the gun? – it is a sound-suppressed variant (from the German ‘Schalldampfer’ – meaning ‘sound dampener’)

6, What calibre is the standard MAC-11 machine pistol chambered for? – .308 ACP (MAC-10 was 9mm and .45)

7, Who is commonly associated/credited with creating the ArmaLite AR-15 (that went on to become M16/M4/etc.) rifle design? – Eugene Stoner

8, In what year did the Beretta ‘M9’ become the official service pistol of the US military? – 1990

9, What does the acronym ‘FA-MAS’ stand for? – Fusil d’Assault de la Manufacture d’Armes de Saint Etienne (French for ‘assault rifle of the St Etienne weapon factory’)

10, What does the ‘19’ refer to on a ‘9x19mm’ pistol round? – the length of the cartridge case

11, What does the acronym ‘AE’ stand for in association with the .50AE round most commonly associated with the Desert Eagle pistol? – Action Express

12, What is the round capacity of a standard M1911 magazine in .45 calibre? – 7 rounds

13, Who is the largest manufacturer of handguns in the US? – Smith and Wesson

14, What does the acronym ‘IMI’ stand for, in relation to the company that created the Uzi, Desert Eagle, Galil, etc.? – Israel Military Industries

15, What does an ‘S’ found within any Kalashnikov variant tell you about the design of the gun? – it will have a folding stock (from the Russian ‘Skladnoy’ – meaning ‘folding’)

FEEL FREE TO TALLY AND REPORT YOUR SCORES - HOW PEDANTIC YOU GET (E.G. 'IMI' STANDS FOR 'ISRAEL MILITARY INDUSTRIES,' NOT 'ISRAELI MILITARY INSUSTRIES' IS UP TO YOU!)

Oh, the Beretta questions is open to two possible answers (as Hubert pointed out) - badly phrased question on my part. The Beretta M92F won the trials in 1985 and was agreed for adoption by the US into service, but didn't actually enter service as the M9 until 1990.

I'll accept either answer since the question was unclear.

Wooo 12! (if we allow for spelling)

Smith & Wesson? Completely overlooked them :lol:

I guess I should remember that there's more to firearms than military toys :lol:

Kurz

middle-> thanks zak :)

Kurz, or whatever, is german for short :P

Archived