New Guy

Robbeh
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys new to forum and to airsoft been lurking a little bit reading bits and bobs.

Been 2nd time airsoft today and enjoyed it more than the 1st time. Quick question about rental guns vs owning one really. I found I was getting outranged most of the game and that my bb's were flying in all sorts of directions from one shot to the next. the Rental guns seemed to be well used where I play and was just wondering If owning my own gun would make the experience better or are all guns just as random as the rental that I used.

I appreciate its not a clear cut and dry question just wanted to get thoughts and opinions really.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Robbeh said:

Hi guys new to forum and to airsoft been lurking a little bit reading bits and bobs.

Been 2nd time airsoft today and enjoyed it more than the 1st time. Quick question about rental guns vs owning one really. I found I was getting outranged most of the game and that my bb's were flying in all sorts of directions from one shot to the next. the Rental guns seemed to be well used where I play and was just wondering If owning my own gun would make the experience better or are all guns just as random as the rental that I used.

I appreciate its not a clear cut and dry question just wanted to get thoughts and opinions really.

Thanks.

The short answer... You can make Airsoft guns VERY accurate and some are very accurate straight out the box, bearing in mind that, especially outdoors, wind is a huge factor for a tiny bit of flying plastic. This can be negated somewhat with heavier ammo.

Just sounds like your site's rental guns suck.

8 minutes ago, Robbeh said:

Yer was pretty much no wind today. sometimes bb would fly up really high and sometimes drop really quickly was impossible to trust it.

Ya sounds like a dodgy gun to me.

I got rentals 3 times at my site. First two times it was perfect and the last time it was exactly like you just described. Every time it was the same manufacturer and model of gun and my site is indoors so 'wind' is non existent.

Once you get your own you'll see the difference, especially if you maintain it properly, which sites don't usually do very well. They have a lot of guns to maintain and I suspect they can't be arsed a lot of the time.

Plus some simple upgrades can improve accuracy a lot as well as heavier ammo.

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).  Get your site membership (defence) and then your own gun, it will make a big difference to your fun. 

Haha sweet. Well can anyone recommend a gun for a technical guy like myself. Already fixed a hop up for a mate on his gun so would like to buy something that will last and can add attachments to etc. price max £300

Thanks.

• Supporters

Oh, sorry, usually when someone says "What gun are best gun?" there's dozens of "My gun are best gun!" responses. :D

You'll want to narrow it down a bit.  Are there any platforms that you prefer, or want to rule out?  M4, AK, bullpups, P-90 devil-spawn?  Full length rifle, carbine, smg, compact?

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Robbeh said:

Ah,  cheers for response, I prefer M4 or modern AK.

Still not much help , there’s a gazillion of both of them on the market ! 🤦‍♂️

😂😂😂😂👍 

CYMA AKs or G&G for M4,

If you want to spend more money LCT AKs are more expensive and well there's a million M4s from almost if not every brand out there so without a price range no one can give you much advice. 

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Robbeh said:

Hi cheers i said price range up to 300 ideally and style i like the honey badger style.

take a look at the ICS brand, cant go wrong....ive never (touch wood) had any issues with mine and no major upgrades

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/search.php?search=m4&cat=149&manufacturer=&stock=&stpos=0&no_per_pg=999

but this is a forum so you will get many other opinions, end of the day its your money and your choice,  you get what you like the look of ;) 

Ok cool. Is there any brands I should avoid? Having been looking there is so many to choose from. Ideally want to high end and something that will last and can modify. So my 300 budget would be for just the base gun.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You might want to trying this helpful guide for some ideas of brands etc.

Although you're willing to spend £300 (just on the gun I presume) I and most people on here would probably recommend the standard starter gun of a G&G CM16, they're cheap, reliable and you'll notice a substantial performance to whatever you've been hiring.  Plus if you change your mind in a few months time you'll sell it easily and won't be out of pocket too badly.

You mention the Honey Badger, you can get the Ares version for £250, I don't recall hearing anything bad about them but others might be able to provide more info.  No idea what they're like to open up and work on but I'd recommend leaving anything you buy as stock for a little while, then start reading some of the tech stuff on here, start with hop rubbers and work up step by step.

Brands to avoid - pretty much any gun branded as Nuprol, they're all made by other companies and re-badged, some are supposed to be "upgraded" but their gearboxes are apparently made of cheese.  And do not, under any circumstances, buy from any website/shop with "BB" in its name!

Word of warning - this hobby gets insanely addictive, you'll spend loads on kit, guns, accessories, tools, BBs and so on, I honestly couldn't tell you how much I've spent over the past few years!!

Other than that, happy shopping and have fun!!

Cheers Phil yer alot of people been saying get CM16 but looks a bit boring and lots of people seem to have them. And I shall avoid Nuprol and BB website.

29 minutes ago, Robbeh said:

Cheers Phil yer alot of people been saying get CM16 but looks a bit boring and lots of people seem to have them. And I shall avoid Nuprol and BB website.

That's one thing I don't understand coming out of peoples  mouths "everyone has that I want to be different" everyone wants to be a special snowflake but theres a reason a lot of people get something and it's usually a sign of a good product. For your first gun get a reliable work horse go crazy after that but you need something you can rely on and get help with so a platform people know will make it easier to get you up and running quicker if you do have issues 

34 minutes ago, Robbeh said:

I know what you mean, that's why I went with the MOD0, because it's just slightly different.  I've done absolutely nothing to it apart from add some bits for looks and wired it to Deans.  Now use it as my backup gun, although I keep offering it to teammates who have problems with their own, means other people have probably used it more than me!  Having said that, everyone who's used it has loved the thing.

If you like the M4 platform then there are absolutely loads of variants available so you'll be sure to find something you like.  The Patrol Base website is very well laid out for browsing through but if you see something you like you'll probably have to go somewhere else to find it in stock.

I don't know much about AKs apart from the fact that stock Cyma ones are cheap as chips and pretty awesome straight out of the box.  Not sure how common it is but a lot of the people I know with AKs seem to end up with odd issues with them (might not be Cyma though), from feeding to weak compression, could just be that they've bought crap to be honest.

Ultimately buy whatever takes your fancy, dress it up with whatever accessories you want and enjoy it, and if you want ideas of how different they can all look then take a look through the gun picture thread or GearTech's paint job thread. 👍

32 minutes ago, Musica said:

That's one thing I don't understand coming out of peoples  mouths "everyone has that I want to be different" everyone wants to be a special snowflake but theres a reason a lot of people get something and it's usually a sign of a good product. For your first gun get a reliable work horse go crazy after that but you need something you can rely on and get help with so a platform people know will make it easier to get you up and running quicker if you do have issues 

Im already a special snowflake according to my mum!

It was more the gun just looks a bit bland in my personal opinion. Im sure its great which its why its recommended by almost everyone but if Im to spend 300 quid on something I want to have something I like!

They come in different shapes and sizes they actually have an LMG that runs on the same CM platform. Personally I think the arp9 or if you intend to go down the 556 magazine route eventually anyway the arp556 are great offerings. Everyone seems to like a nice long rail tho. 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-cm16-sr-series-combat-machine?pv=1169

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-g-combat-machine-cm16-raider-2-0?pv=5103

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-cm16-r8-l?pv=5063

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-cm16-raider?pv=2436

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-arp-9?pv=2828

https://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=11096

Like to add I'm not trying to force you towards g&g my first gun I've ordered is a asg scorpopb evo for 325. Just trying to show because other people have them doesn't make it a bad choice. 

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, Robbeh said:

Im already a special snowflake according to my mum!

It was more the gun just looks a bit bland in my personal opinion. Im sure its great which its why its recommended by almost everyone but if Im to spend 300 quid on something I want to have something I like!

If you have £300 to spend don't look at G&G as there is much better guns in that range.

The CM16 is so popular because it's cheap so lots of first time buyers get them and for the money they are good but as I said "for the money". But are they actually good? Well no.

The problem you then get is that when people own one brand when they decide to spend a bit more they buy another G&G as misguided brand loyalty, think Iphones/Samsung blah blah.

But the truth is once you go past cheap you are spending money on meh. The arp 9 gets lots of love (and lots of misfeeds/repairs) but it isn't actually that great when compared to lots of other light weight pokey little guns  it is just cheap-ish. Airsofters suffer from serious rose tinted glasses syndrome.

Look around find a platform you like aesthetically set a budget then ask opinions on which one is best.

But it isn't a Combat Masheep.

So here are the 4 guns that I like the look of. I haven't really looked at specification because I don't yet understand all the bits and pieces. What I did notice was the FPS difference between them is this important? 

Anyway here are the links:

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/ares-amoeba-am-013-honey-badger-m4-full-rail?pv=996

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/ares-amoeba-am-014-honey-badger-m4-compact-rail?pv=999

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-sa-h05-carbine?pv=8879

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-gt-advanced-rk74-e-black?pv=4732

Feedback appreciated on specs etc.

Archived