Newb saying hi

TommoThomson
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Morning all, myself and a mate are looking to start airsoft. 

We currently play woodsball/Magfed events and run T15s with a PPQ side arm, unless I feel like a little spray and prey then the Geo garden hose comes out 😂

So over the last year we have played a few OMG events with our team MIST, as well as a Milsim weekend with the Ghost Ops. 

This was our downfall as playing woodsball rocking a Magfed has just becomes a little same old same old. More so when you get a speedball player slamming you with 10bps. 

So we decided to look into airsoft, we know we need a licence of sorts and what we need to do to get that. (thanks Seven for pointing out this error on my part, should have said we will be getting a UKARA. I wont remove it, as it wont make your comment make any sense but thanks for point it out).

However what we are looking for is some feedback on RIFs, the pros and cons and what we need to be looking for please. 

We are hoping we can use our OMG tacvest as it's a nice bit of kit, which means we can concentrate on RIFs and the buying of head/face protection. 

I currently wear an Empire EVS for paintball, which gives the best field of vision I've seen in any paint ball mask. 

However I do steam up, but as some of the Airsoft face protection is mesh I think I should be ok with the airsoft playing gear. 

So that all said if anyone can offer some help on whats what with the gear that would be great and hopefully you will see us on field.

1 hour ago, TommoThomson said:

Morning all, myself and a mate are looking to start airsoft. 

We currently play woodsball/Magfed events and run T15s with a PPQ side arm, unless I feel like a little spray and prey then the Geo garden hose comes out 😂

So over the last year we have played a few OMG events with our team MIST, as well as a Milsim weekend with the Ghost Ops. 

This was our downfall as playing woodsball rocking a Magfed has just becomes a little same old same old. More so when you get a speedball player slamming you with 10bps. 

No. Idea wtf any of this is so just gonna ignore it.

So we decided to look into airsoft, we know we need a licence of sorts and what we need to do to get that. 

Trigger warning. This pisses people off, it's not a license.

However what we are looking for is some feedback on RIFs, the pros and cons and what we need to be looking for please. 

Electric weapons are probably the best way to start for most people. But I personally don't like them.

Major pro could be the magazine sizes. You can get magazines that hold hundreds of BB's so reloading is not as often, if at all. Personally I like the act of reloading.

Another pro, cheaper to run.

A con in my book is the electronic part. If something breaks it's harder to rectify in my opinion, especially if it's an electrical component. As much as soldering is not an issue for me personally, it's not something that can be fixed quickly, for example.

More moving parts too that are susceptible to failure, like gear boxes.

Gas weapons are a little more temperamental and is affected by ambient temps, which can be overcome to a degree. They can also have a great feeling to fire (recoil. You can get electronic recoil weapons but it's not quite the same). More expensive to run though as you'll have to buy gas.

But as long as you understand that o rings need some lube, to keep the healthy, one way or another, and understand to a basic level how they work mechanically, you can't really go too wrong.

We are hoping we can use our OMG tacvest as it's a nice bit of kit, which means we can concentrate on RIFs and the buying of head/face protection. 

Probably ok to use your vest, especially if it has molle webbing to attach pouches.

I currently wear an Empire EVS for paintball, which gives the best field of vision I've seen in any paint ball mask.

Probably ok to use this mask if you want but I would be inclined to test it with a high power Airsoft weapon at point blank range.

Most people that use paintball masks for Airsoft use Dye masks.

I would recommend staying well clear of mesh eye protection but it IS an option.

However I do steam up, but as some of the Airsoft face protection is mesh I think I should be ok with the airsoft playing gear. 

Steaming will be a lifelong battle for all goggles. But you can defeat it.

Revision wipes are the tits.

As is simple dish soap.

Fans integrated into the eye protection is also great.

Double glazing helps too.

So that all said if anyone can offer some help on whats what with the gear that would be great and hopefully you will see us on field.

Welcome and have fun!

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).  Have a read of all the pinned (sticky) topics in each section, they have some useful information for new players.

P.S. Airsoft because even paintballers need heroes.

Cheers for the info Seven and I added an edit to the license non-sense I put in my original post.

With regards to gas v battery, I've encountered this battle in paintball as we have air, battery (all be it 9v), seals and recoil.

When we play Magfed we use Tiberius T15s, which is mag in, cock it, pull trigger and the 13ci air tank mechanical powers the ball out the barrel and has recoil.

If I use my GEO, which is a tournament marker it has a electric element, which allows you to adjust the amount of paint you are firing from 10bps up and over 20bps and the recoil isn't worth talking about but you can provide a nice flow of cover fire with it.

So when you say if electric goes wrong its harder to isolate and fix I get that, as you have to take into account boards and what not to make it work.

Whereas the T15 is check for leaks, grease up the seals and the job is done, its just then a case of changing the velocity screw to make sure you are within the range of 280-290fps when you hit the chrono before you start playing.

Mask wise I agree with you and wouldn't personally wear mesh for eye protection, however I have seen that in airsoft you can have eye protection that isn't connected to the lower part protecting your face so was thinking that would help as your breath isn't being forced up over the lens as it is when you have full one piece face mask which is what we have in paintball.

Otherwise I will be using my tried and tested method of RainX Anti Fog and I personally would rather get face/head protection that is tested and rated for airsoft over paintball to be on the safe side.

So with regards to the gas element is this just air from a compressor or are you using CO2 capsules or something else?

Oh and Jedi Master no I've not checked them yet, only just signed up this morning and still navigating the site.

Oh and heros are ok, but Legends are where its at and we go with Milsim is Milsim and like to be in the thick of it 😎 

12 minutes ago, TommoThomson said:

So with regards to the gas element is this just air from a compressor or are you using CO2 capsules or something else?

There are various options.

You can get gas magazines that are filled from a gas canister and the magazine itself contains the gas.

You can use co2 capsules with the appropriate weapons and/or magazines.

You can also use HPA which you are probably familiar with from paintball.

These involve a scuba tank style bottle of various possible sizes, usually connected by a remote line to the weapon itself or to the magazine.

HPA is not affected by temperature the same way as co2 or green gas.

If you choose to HPA tap the magazine's then reloading becomes a ballache.

7 minutes ago, TommoThomson said:

Mask wise I agree with you and wouldn't personally wear mesh for eye protection, however I have seen that in airsoft you can have eye protection that isn't connected to the lower part protecting your face so was thinking that would help as your breath isn't being forced up over the lens as it is when you have full one piece face mask which is what we have in paintball.

Running no lower face protection has been known to cause a lose of that winning smile and dental bills. I would argue a mask that has been designed to cover the whole face would do better at getting the air where it needs to go than the lower and upper mish match in the airsoft world.

If your fine wearing full face but want somthing people rate for airsoft the dye i4 or i5 are very well rated.

The fact your considering your PPE and weighing options instead of just buying the cheapest you can find on ebay is a nice change of pace for these threads but if your over 18 then usually your only required to wear eye protection anything else is up to you as is the risks.

5 minutes ago, Seven said:

If you choose to HPA tap the magazine's then reloading becomes a ballache.

Ok the magic word here is ballache, we are already on the same page as that can do one as it can cause you to lose game time if you are constantly having problems.

So HPA like in paintball is now out the window, also not sure what its like in airsoft but I have yet to see a site that offers HPA fills at a walkon.

4 minutes ago, Musica said:

Running no lower face protection has been known to cause a lose of that winning smile and dental bills. I would argue a mask that has been designed to cover the whole face would do better at getting the air where it needs to go than the lower and upper mish match in the airsoft world.

If your fine wearing full face but want somthing people rate for airsoft the dye i4 or i5 are very well rated.

The fact your considering your PPE and weighing options instead of just buying the cheapest you can find on ebay is a nice change of pace for these threads but if your over 18 then usually your only required to wear eye protection anything else is up to you as is the risks.

I have tbh I'm not a Dye fan, I use to have a Dye DAM and it was such as waste of time and didn't do half the things Dye claim.

When it comes to their masks my face is too fat  😂  which was why I went for the Empire EVS mask that you can see in my profile picture.

As for buying cheap I learnt the hard way with paintball it doesn't work, my first Magfed event was Anvil and was held at Gunman Airsoft in at Tuddenham.

I got myself a nice plate carrier, which was army surplus and went out with 14 mags and was running a 1.5 litre bottle.

I learnt very quickly that is OTT, from that point on it was a downsize my load out and got an OMG tac vest as its lightweight and built for the job and went down to 7 mags, 6 on the vest and one in the marker.

Head/face protection is a total must as you take a round to the face you will know about it and a dental bill is the least of your worries in paintball and with the rate and velocity that airsoft runs at I would say is likely the same when playing.

So the rule is now look around see whats what and ask questions as once you own it, you are stuck with it and my DAM was a mistake as I regret believing the over priced hype and even though I bought used and saved a fortune. There were so many better markers I could of had and wish I did from the start and I want to avoid that pain with airsoft.

16 minutes ago, TommoThomson said:

Ok the magic word here is ballache, we are already on the same page as that can do one as it can cause you to lose game time if you are constantly having problems.

So HPA like in paintball is now out the window, also not sure what its like in airsoft but I have yet to see a site that offers HPA fills at a walkon.

I don't wanna put you off HPA from the start, you don't HAVE to tap the magazine's in some cases. You can run the line straight to the weapon itself, negating the increased reload times.

But personally, HPA is not for me.

And yeah, I've yet to see a site offer refills but diving shops will fill them.

It's similar to tank fill stations, most walkon games you can only fill your tank to 3k however you can buy tanks that hold 4.5k and unless you hit a event that offers that you are only going to get 3k at best in your tank. 

Nah I'm going to try and keep it simple, HPA is out as its just too much grief the same as it is for paintball 😎

If you play at  a site that also does paintball they may be able to refill for you.  I can get free refills at Skirmish Wycombe as they also do paintball.

19 hours ago, MisterG said:

If you play at  a site that also does paintball they may be able to refill for you.  I can get free refills at Skirmish Wycombe as they also do paintball.

Nah they just have air at my paintball site, but the airsoft venue I'm going to try is just airsoft. 

We got to play it last year at an Only Magfed Game, which was great fun but OMG couldn't get the venue again this year 

On 24/03/2019 at 15:52, TommoThomson said:

Nah they just have air at my paintball site, but the airsoft venue I'm going to try is just airsoft. 

We got to play it last year at an Only Magfed Game, which was great fun but OMG couldn't get the venue again this year 

That's what's HPA is... Air.

(HPA, High Pressure Air)

On 26/03/2019 at 16:42, Seven said:

That's what's HPA is... Air.

(HPA, High Pressure Air)

An this is what happens when you try to learn something new, it tends to push something else out that you know :D

Still not going HPA though, as I hate that I can only tinker with my markers so much before I run out of air and have to wait till the next time I play to air up again so its AEG for me.

The only problem is there are so many makes out there, but of course only a few good ones.

I have narrowed my thinking down to either a SCAR (but not sure what make to go for) or a Valken PDW.

I like the look of the M14 EBR short, but that might be a bit weighty to carry around and wont suit my game style either as I don't have the patients to wait around taking pot shots at folk as I'm more of a Gun and Run with some stealthy Ninja Assassin moves thrown in for good measure 😎 

Another factor is I'm most likely going to buy used, as it will be bedded in and also come with a little bit more than new so it really depends who is selling what and for how much.

welcome  @tommo thompsonI'm not sure what your budget is, but within the aeg bracket there are normal aegs and those with recoil. if you have the budget a scar L from Tokyo marui would be a good performer with recoil. but there is loads of variety out there.

If you haven't tried Airsoft before get yourself booked on with a rental and see if you like it. I think that the terminology is fairly similar to paintball with skirmishes, filmsims (a skirmish with longer games and a story line) and milsims.

1 hour ago, Crazy_Crystal said:

welcome  @tommo thompsonI'm not sure what your budget is, but within the aeg bracket there are normal aegs and those with recoil. if you have the budget a scar L from Tokyo marui would be a good performer with recoil. but there is loads of variety out there.

If you haven't tried Airsoft before get yourself booked on with a rental and see if you like it. I think that the terminology is fairly similar to paintball with skirmishes, filmsims (a skirmish with longer games and a story line) and milsims.

Tokyo Mauri is one of the brands my mate who suggested we should give airsoft ago has been saying is a top name, which is definitely backed up by their online fan base. 

As for booking in, we kinda know what we are in for. Yep lots of digs about us being paintballers on an airsoft field 😂

That aside if I'm honest it's basically Milsim, which we enjoy and did 3 events last year. Two were setup by OMG using airsoft fields, then the third was on the Magfed UK Splatoon site. 

It was such a blast climbing in and out of buildings at Chernobly and Anvil, which is what we were hoping to be doing this year again.

However the events we went to have been cancelled for this year and new ones have been created, but due to there locations in the North make it difficult for us to get to them. 

So our options were stay playing woodsball, which is fun but leaves us wanting more. 

Or give airsoft ago as there are a lot more events for airsoft in out area. 

This way we can still play on out Magfed team for paintball, but also get the chance to play some events more local to where we live. 

Also the added bonus of running AEG over air is I can recharge a battery, which means I can tinker away until my hearts content......well unless there is a power cut and I can't recharge my battery 😂

That aside I do like my T15, which is one of the best paintball Magfed markers you can buy 😎 

20181120_184147.jpg

Archived