Nuprol SM-4 Safety Alert - Product recall!

TheBoojum
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have just been trying to find an on-line copy of the manual for the Nuprol SM-4 charger. It's no longer available on the Nuprol web site, but I came across a link about a safety recall from September last year:

https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumers_safety/safety_products/rapex/alerts/?event=main.notification&search_term=A12/1317/18&exclude_search_term=0&search_year=2018

The problem is that "The electrical insulation is inadequate."
The risk is that "As a result, accessible parts of the product could become live. The user could receive an electric shock from them. The product does not comply with the requirements of the Low Voltage Directive and the relevant European standard EN 60335."
The recommended action is "Destruction of the product"

I'm going to try and find out from Nuprol about getting a replacement.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

A Nuprol product being recalled because it's bad quality and unsafe?! 

Quelle surprise! 😁

Thank you for letting us know though. Hopefully we can get these out of forum member's houses before it's too late.

3 minutes ago, Musica said:

I get the impression to avoid anything made by this company but people seem to rave about their gas. 

Their gas is awesome, but other than that generally a company best avoided from what I've seen and heard.

1 hour ago, Musica said:

I get the impression to avoid anything made by this company but people seem to rave about their gas. 

Thas cos they don’t actually make anything, it’s made by the cheapest Chinese sweat shop possible, hence it’s all shit 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, L3wisD said:

Yeah, the Nuprol R&D department is just a dude with a credit card and a PC hooked up to Alibaba, DH Gate and Wish 🤣

AND you must remember the kit it’s self is actually made by a guy called Wang in Gwangyeu province China who told his frail old mother that he’d be head of the politburo by age 30 but that never happened and he’s stuck in a factory in the arse end of China making shit Airsoft kit for 10yuan an hr ! 😬

If anyone's interested, I've just got a new charger. Taking reviews from our brethren in the RC arena I've just bought a SkyRC S60 charger for just under £40 from Amazon [LINK] (plus a bit for a lead to connect to Airsoft battery connectors). The reviews on the web and the YouTube videos are good and it looks like it'll be fine for Airsoft batteries. As well as not electrocuting the user.

Now to see if I can get anything back from Nuprol 😣.

• Supporters

No, hang fire.  That SkyRC looks like it's the same interface, and so likely the same internals as the SkyRC "Imax B6" that I've just bought.

Branding and model number aside, it seems solidly made, doesn't heat up, and it does appear to doing what it says that it's doing, i.e. charging / balance charging, including checking the cell balance and total output voltage, and refusing to have anything to do with one 7.4V lipo that my crappy generic "balance charger" has well and truly wrecked.

Said generic charger is going to be donated to someone who doesn't know any better.  I'm OK with SkyRC branded chargers, so far.

Thanks Guys. I've already ordered it (due Monday). From what I've seen it looks at least OK, so I'll see how it goes. 

Archived