New play advice: Gas or Electric?

srjamiecl
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to airsoft and just getting my head around things. I've read a few of the beginners posts on here, which were really helpful, but have still left me with questions.

The main question I have at the moment is;

As a beginner am I better of buying an electric gun or gas? What are the pros and cons of each?

I've read that for a beginner it is probably better to get electric due to the ease of maintenance and reliability etc, but I believe I would be able to complete any work that I would need to on these guns should I have issues or upgrades to make.

Once again, I am new to airsoft and this forum so feel free to point me to a thread that has already answered this!

Any help/guidance would be awesome! 👍

• Supporters

^can't really argue with that.

start with an aeg, and if you want to mess with gas stuff then pistols are a great way of getting experience without relying on it.

you always want a reliable aeg to fall back on when whatever you're latest purchase/experiment/modification doesn't work out so well.

Exactly what those guys said. Buy electric for  a start, ok , get a gas pistol if you fancy, but for a main weapon stick to electric. Less maintenance no issues with the temperature and mags that hold more than 30 BB's ! I love my gas rifles but they do need more work and the low ammo count dictates a certain style of play which I love sometimes , but sometimes you want to do 'spray and prey'

Get Deans connectors fitted and run Lipo batteries. But mainly just have fun.

• Supporters

Has anyone suggested electric long guns, and gas pistols?  I bet none of you have. :P

But yes, as above.  Electric long guns are practical, and gas pistols are fun.

And I'd echo the advice to keep one stock, unmeddled (apart from Deans connectors) electric gun as a backup.  Even the cheapest £75 CYMA M4s do actually work, and can save your (or someone else's) day if you have one spare.

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

And I'd echo the advice to keep one stock, unmeddled (apart from Deans connectors) electric gun as a backup.  Even the cheapest £75 CYMA M4s do actually work, and can save your (or someone else's) day if you have one spare.

Took me far to long to realise this. However now i have my little jg aksu that is the gun that shall not be fucked with unless it breaks.

The only time gas is advised as not putting you self at a disadvantage is for pistols on CQB sites, If your getting a gas pistol as your first gun you need to do a lot of research and learn how to maintain it. Build a second slide to drop on so if your gun breaks you can swap slides and keep going. 

Another problem with gas pistols where an AEG has the upper hand is you will need mag retention of some sort as you can't put a 300 round pistol mag in and forget about reloading like high caps for AEGs. 

so you need some load bearing gear, a lot more knowledge to keep the gun up and running, spend more of gas than electric and your limiting yourself to CQB because as soon as you step outside and full auto AEGs start shooting you will start to feel like your brought a potato gun to gun fight. 

Even the gas blowback players usually keep a spare AEG in case the weather doesn't play well with their gas pressure or it breaks down on the day so your better of getting that AEG now and expanding on your collection later. 

I went out dual wielding pistols recently for a short game. G18 and 1911 MEU . Had an absolute hoot, got a couple of great kills at long range (both have Maple leaf goodness) then got comprehensibly hosed by an AEG 😂

8 hours ago, Musica said:

so you need... a lot more knowledge to keep the gun up and running

I would argue you need a lot less knowledge for a gas pistol. Maybe it's just me being more mechanically minded by default but I was an electrical mechanical engineer and I can say, for myself at least, fuck electrics!

Once you know how something works mechanically it's not hard at all to fault find and if something goes wrong, it's a lot easier to have a very small box of spares of the parts that are known to fail most often and replace them in a matter of 5 minutes in the safe zone.

Electrics on the other hand... Gun won't fire? Well that shit could be anything... And if it turns out be an electrical issue like a blown part or a broken solder point etc... It's highly unlikely you'll be able to repair that quickly...

Could also be that I'm slightly biased towards gas in general. Short of 1 or 2 electric blowback guns I've heard... they just sound like a pack of really sick mice having a coughing fit.

Nah, not for me, I can quite safely say I'll probably NEVER own an AEG unless they bring out a Pulse Rifle or a Moritia Rifle that I don't have to mod myself and there is no gas version, lol

I'll stick to gas... Except for a sniper... I'll take a spring sniper...

With that said... For the majority of cases... An AEG is probably the best way to start out.

Coming from Air rifles being either gas or spring based I find GBB rifles & GBB pistols a bit more logical.

AEG is simple enough but are more like RC cars.

I don't mind either, they all have their place and pros/cons. 

I tend to go electric for winter and gas for the other 3 seasons.

51 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/snow-wolf-m41a-pulse-rifle-aeg-aka-the-alien-gun.html

7% discount if you leave it in your basket for 24 hours.

Your move. :P

giphy_(1).gif.34ae1a6ba7ab399d294e7bb1cd1707c1.gif

Trust you, Roger!

Suffice to say, it's now on the list... Assuming the reviews show that its decent and magazines are readily available.

Won't be ordering from that website though, can get it cheaper from more reputable places, lol

Edit: Thankfully the reviews have shown it's not for me. The accuracy is pish and having to take the fake mag base off to reach the hicap and wind it on every time, that's no Bueno!

If I was to get this it would be for display purposes and I'm not gonna pay that price for an ornament.

I'll wait for a better one to come along...

Archived