Is it a compulsion?

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I think there's something wrong with me. I want another gun.
Even though I don't need one.
I don't even know what I want. I just know I want another.
There's something about new guns that rings my bell more than clothing, accessories, kit, whatever.
I tried to tick the box by getting a reg/line and valves so I can be a HPA kid, but it did nothing for me.
A new gun is euphoria in a box to me. But I don't know why.
And it doesn't last long. Sometimes it doesn't last beyond opening the box. Sometimes doesn't last beyond the first magazine.
Occasionally it lasts and develops, like with my SRS - but that's rare, as I generally start looking for something that is undefinably "better".

So - is it wrong? will I end up with a crazed loon number of rifs? Is there a way to buy better than by compulsion?

I think my buying choices are improving. But they could do with improving more.
How do you choose what you're getting next? Besides....mmmmmmmm.....shiny!
Anyway.... I'm off to surf for a new rif, even though I don't really need one... 😄

• Supporters

You’ve been talking to @rocketdogbert for too long, that man has too many shinies and always gives me the I wants...

I understand what your saying, personally I stopped wanting more once I finished my own build.... since then, when it comes to something new, I’m only interested in building something... and having no time means that ain’t happening soon!

• Supporters

i've kind of plateaued, i think because i'm very demanding and i've realised the moment i get a new gun it'll be getting compared to the ones i have, that have had a lot of blood sweat tears and monies poured into them to get them just how i like.

atm i'm more focused on getting the guns i do have up to that standard before going for new ones. this includes my crazier projects.

57 minutes ago, Prisce said:

You’ve been talking to @rocketdogbert for too long, that man has too many shinies and always gives me the I wants...

I understand what your saying, personally I stopped wanting more once I finished my own build.... since then, when it comes to something new, I’m only interested in building something... and having no time means that ain’t happening soon!

Yup - always talking to @rocketdogbert lol. He's a terrible influence.
My favourite rifs are the SRS and both my mk23's - all of which I've fiddled with inside and all of which are lovely.
But I just can't get my head round the internals of an AEG. It's like Elctrickery!
Maybe I should try and build an AEG myself.... But that means buying parts, not a gun. And therefore no euphoria 😞

• Supporters

Compulsion ? I’d say no it’s not a compulsion .

Is it an addiction ? now that I would say it is . Ask anyone that works in the field and they’ll tell you there’s varying levels of addiction , from the ‘occasional’ every now and again “oh no I can stop whenever I want!” user right up to the totally life consuming nothing else matters to them but feeding the ‘need’ addict and I’m sure if we’re being honest we ALL fit in there somewhere and we all know guys above and below us on the addiction scale . 

There are different categories with different priorities for me which sometimes crossover.  In basic terms it classifies into a few really boring reliable good performing practical skirmish guns. I find it fairly rare that I add to this portion of the collection, often just back up duplicates of what I already have. Some rare impractical gas guns, has to be something special. And finally loads of springers. Some long guns but mainly pistols. I buy anything different or traded and not overly crappy like double eagle, galaxy, well ones. I find with springers I go out of my usual go to things I like just to have something I don't have or that's even available as a high end gun, and it's never a disappointment.

I’ve got all of my “performance” guns sorted in the form of TM gas rifles and recoils, now I’m obsessed with making super cool stuff perform, like my realsword SVD or VFC SR-25. 

5 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

I think there's something wrong with me. I want another gun.
Even though I don't need one.
I don't even know what I want. I just know I want another.
There's something about new guns that rings my bell more than clothing, accessories, kit, whatever.
I tried to tick the box by getting a reg/line and valves so I can be a HPA kid, but it did nothing for me.
A new gun is euphoria in a box to me. But I don't know why.
And it doesn't last long. Sometimes it doesn't last beyond opening the box. Sometimes doesn't last beyond the first magazine.
Occasionally it lasts and develops, like with my SRS - but that's rare, as I generally start looking for something that is undefinably "better".

So - is it wrong? will I end up with a crazed loon number of rifs? Is there a way to buy better than by compulsion?

I think my buying choices are improving. But they could do with improving more.
How do you choose what you're getting next? Besides....mmmmmmmm.....shiny!
Anyway.... I'm off to surf for a new rif, even though I don't really need one... 😄

That's nothing.

For me if often starts from the moment I order a gun, and then lose interest in it long before it arrives in the post, when I see something else I want even more.🤣🤩

The anticipation of getting something is often more pleasurable than the actual owning of it.

My wife always says that the British are a nation of collectors.

4 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

Yup - always talking to @rocketdogbert lol. He's a terrible influence.
My favourite rifs are the SRS and both my mk23's - all of which I've fiddled with inside and all of which are lovely.
But I just can't get my head round the internals of an AEG. It's like Elctrickery!
Maybe I should try and build an AEG myself.... But that means buying parts, not a gun. And therefore no euphoria 😞

EUPHORIA OF PUTTING TOGETHER AND SEEING IT COME ALIVE??????????

It's retail therapy; a by product of modern society to make up for the weird unnatural world we live in.

I find it harder to scratch this itch every time I feel the need for a new toy.

I've got fussier and fussier to the point that most rifs don't even register when I browse anymore.

I still find something eventually but it's becoming a chore. And each one seems to get more expensive.

Pretty sure I'm finally happy with my lot tbh. At least for now... :lol:

• Head Moderator

I hate buying second-hand guns

2 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

I hate buying second-hand guns

I’m done buying used ‘upgraded’ AEG’s after the week I’ve had. I’m convinced people just don’t give a shit anymore. 

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Wo1f said:

I’m done buying used ‘upgraded’ AEG’s after the week I’ve had. I’m convinced people just don’t give a shit anymore. 

Your right on that last statement. 

I used to enjoy finding a good second hand RIF and seeing what the last muppet had done to it and beggar belief that they hadn’t broken the internals or themselves. Nowadays I have seen some things that make me question buying second hand full stop.

• Supporters

Mmm.  I assume that "upgraded" means: meddled with a perfectly good gun until they gave up on it, then added the full price of the parts onto 90% of what they paid for the gun, and then listed it as "plus fees and postage" without bothering to work out what either of those would be.  But we've been there before.

"Retail therapy" is a good explanation, and a real thing.  The Distance Selling / Consumer Contract Regs have been a real pain for retailers given how many folk now habitually buy stacks of stuff just to get the dopamine hit of an unboxing, then send them straight back.

[The irony of posting this while waiting for the Amazon delivery dealer to give me a little bump isn't lost]

Fuck it you're only here once (life not this forum) as long as you're not hurting other people (off the field) and you're not selling other peoples kidneys to fund your hobby as say go for it you crazy bastards!  The one thing I've learnt during my short time with you all is this....never ever ever say"oh I've got X amount to spend on a RIF/gear" it just creates a feeding frenzy as not only do you like spend your hard earned on gear but you're just as happy to do the same with some other fuckers cash too! 🖖

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Mmm.  I assume that "upgraded" means: meddled with a perfectly good gun until they gave up on it, then added the full price of the parts onto 90% of what they paid for the gun, and then listed it as "plus fees and postage" without bothering to work out what either of those would be. 

99% of the time it just means broken

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

99% of the time it just means broken

This is why I like these here forums so much. You can get a vague inclination about the person selling before you buy by reading some of the posts they have made or have reacted to. 

Those that just join to buy and sell without even so much of a hello tend to get a wide berth from me.

I've always collected things, and also can find that the browsing and build up of anticipation can be as strong or more than actually owning them. But that said I still value them and find the idea of selling very hard.

Rifs are expensive compared to some other collectable things so I never buy rifs for the sake of it, I have to really like the gun.

The moment I see a classified start listing parts or upgrades I close it. If they list they added a barrel /bucking they probably tried to do more and backed out. 

Controversially however  everyone seems to hate "proprietary" guns as well because they can't upgrade them but the only downside to proprietary guns to me is parts are harder or more expensive to come by. As long as OEM part support is available I don't care if I can't add a twin gear short stroked sorbo pad with a  bored out cylinder.

I think the compulsion to tweak guns because people think they know better is much worse than the compulsion to buy guns. If you want to buy a gun and replace ALL the internals why start of with a mid-high end gun in the first place?  It's one thing youtube is really bad for I watched a lot of guys on youtube to try and get a feel for what guns are good and they all use custom kit costing at least a grand. 

"Look at my new TM Devgru which had all the stock internals replaced because I needed it to be custom tuned for my needs as an operator" It's rife on youtube just like the cheater videos this forum really helped me spot what it causes with the sensible sods telling people to use their toys before ripping them apart. Every few days there's a thread "what should I upgrade on my xxx I just got" and the same responses asking why they think it needs upgraded.  

Rant over.  

• Supporters
56 minutes ago, Prisce said:

This is why I like these here forums so much. You can get a vague inclination about the person selling before you buy by reading some of the posts they have made or have reacted to. 

Those that just join to buy and sell without even so much of a hello tend to get a wide berth from me.

Spot on 100% , obviously I’m attracted to the item first but once I’ve read whats been written and how it’s been written (any txt speak/yo bro/it’s awesome/etc instant disconnect!) in the ad and what kind of forum profile the person has THEN I’ll decide if I’m going to contact or not .

Only time I’m tempted to break these rules with a buy is if it’s something I know I probably won’t get another chance at again .

• Mostly Retired Moderators

In the opposite direction - I'm overly drawn to boneyard and spares/repairs guns.

"This could be my bargain find!" 
"Hidden Treasure!"
"It might only need a new motor and/or Hop-up Rubber and/or spring"

Always not the case. They're being sold cheap for a reason

But still I want it!

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Musica said:

I think the compulsion to tweak guns because people think they know better is much worse than the compulsion to buy guns. If you want to buy a gun and replace ALL the internals why start of with a mid-high end gun in the first place?

That does make me laugh.  I've always enjoyed fiddling with toys for the pleasure of it, and toy guns are a bit cheaper than motorcycles for that purpose.  So I've only ever bought the cheapest stuff on the basis that I can hardly manage to make it worse (spoiler: I've still managed to make it worse).  But if you're grinning, you're winning, and it's all been fun times.  I just wouldn't try and sell them on as "upgraded".

But "upgrading" the parts on a high end guns does seems bizarre.  What were you paying for in the first place if it wasn't good quality stock components?

That said, I do like @Seven's plan with his Gold Match - he's just about at the point where he's Trigger's Broomed it by replacing every single part, at which point he's going to put all the stripped parts back together to make an entirely new/entirely original (depending on your point of view) Gold Match. :D

Archived