Stirling Airsoft Combat Mission

Guardsman394
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Okay, so I'm dying to go to a big airsoft game like the events Stirling airsoft hold. Unfortunately life can hold me back from certain dates they're on. There is a possibility of being able to attend an upcoming "combat mission". Given that up until now I have only been to pick up games, would this be too big a step? On the site it says "Combat missions are usually hard routine, as real as it gets". Me and my friends don't want to be "those guys" that bring the experience down for everybody else because we haven't been to anything like it before.

I went Stirling weekend before last and really enjoyed it but a lot of it was a bit of an eye opener; especially compared with skirmishes. 

I would probably recommend a more normal game weekend before trying a combat mission to be honest because even the normal weekends are pretty intense and involves far more complex instructions, rules and gameplay compared to skirmishes. 

For instance, at one point I stood in a building with rest of my squad to hold it for about an hour without even seeing an opposition player while the other squads on our side attacked other objectives. 

I am not sure exactly what goes on in the combat missions but the event I went to you had to have radios, follow orders of the HQ squad (if you wanted a chance to be able to successfully take objectives) as the HQ co-ordinate everyone. With so many people it would be chaos without this co-ordination. I think with the combat missions you have to observe checkpoints and gather actual intel like number of opposition, guard duty routines etc to formulate a plan of attack. Basically do all the unseen parts before an attack. Not for everyone and can often sound better than what you might find it or you might enjoy it more than skirmishes! I know lots of people don’t skirmish again and stick with these types of events instead! 

You dont need to be ‘pro’ to play at these events - just know what objectives you should be on, stick to the general orders issued and basically don’t act like a div who thinks he knows everything and you’ll be fine. Not sure how many people you play with/would go with but if there were approx 6-10 of you, you can really work as a team and approach things how you like just at the right time as prescribed by HQ. 

As said I’d perhaps do a more normal Stirling event first due to it being more about taking and holding objectives throughout 12 hours+, then try a combat mission which is more complex. The organisers are very good, the marshalling top class, excellent facilities and is normally well subscribed - despite being early March and snowing there was about 120 people there when I went.  

I get the the general impression that Stirling isn’t particularly well liked on this forum but could be wrong. Some people are scared of the unknown and poo poo stuff without really knowing while others may have being in the wrong and had history yet won’t admit their own actions/faults. 

The events aren't for everyone- some will love and some will hate and I found myself enjoying it but for reasons that I couldn’t predict and parts I thought I’d love I found weren’t like I imagined - best thing is to book and find out yourself! :) 

Hope this lofty reply helps despite the waffle!!!

32 minutes ago, Jimbodini42 said:

I went Stirling weekend before last and really enjoyed it but a lot of it was a bit of an eye opener; especially compared with skirmishes. 

I would probably recommend a more normal game weekend before trying a combat mission to be honest because even the normal weekends are pretty intense and involves far more complex instructions, rules and gameplay compared to skirmishes. 

For instance, at one point I stood in a building with rest of my squad to hold it for about an hour without even seeing an opposition player while the other squads on our side attacked other objectives. 

I am not sure exactly what goes on in the combat missions but the event I went to you had to have radios, follow orders of the HQ squad (if you wanted a chance to be able to successfully take objectives) as the HQ co-ordinate everyone. With so many people it would be chaos without this co-ordination. I think with the combat missions you have to observe checkpoints and gather actual intel like number of opposition, guard duty routines etc to formulate a plan of attack. Basically do all the unseen parts before an attack. Not for everyone and can often sound better than what you might find it or you might enjoy it more than skirmishes! I know lots of people don’t skirmish again and stick with these types of events instead! 

You dont need to be ‘pro’ to play at these events - just know what objectives you should be on, stick to the general orders issued and basically don’t act like a div who thinks he knows everything and you’ll be fine. Not sure how many people you play with/would go with but if there were approx 6-10 of you, you can really work as a team and approach things how you like just at the right time as prescribed by HQ. 

As said I’d perhaps do a more normal Stirling event first due to it being more about taking and holding objectives throughout 12 hours+, then try a combat mission which is more complex. The organisers are very good, the marshalling top class, excellent facilities and is normally well subscribed - despite being early March and snowing there was about 120 people there when I went.  

I get the the general impression that Stirling isn’t particularly well liked on this forum but could be wrong. Some people are scared of the unknown and poo poo stuff without really knowing while others may have being in the wrong and had history yet won’t admit their own actions/faults. 

The events aren't for everyone- some will love and some will hate and I found myself enjoying it but for reasons that I couldn’t predict and parts I thought I’d love I found weren’t like I imagined - best thing is to book and find out yourself! :) 

Hope this lofty reply helps despite the waffle!!!

Nice review, I might go to one of their events next month now. Just need new boots and I'm good to go.

Brilliant review actually!

• Supporters

I'm a bit mixed about stirling events, having done the shit for real but now we'll past my prime, I'm concerned that I won't always react well if  bawled at etc.

my other bugbear is that a majority of the posts/reviews of their events have been by guys who act as if these events will turn them in to genuine "operators",

no offense to players who have played their events, but it's Airsoft ffs, & as jimbo has pointed out, holding a building for a length of time when no assault on it has been planned feels like a cop out by the organizers ?, I wanna be kept interested, time is precious & if I wanted to spend time looking out the windows I can do that at home for free lol.

am I wrong ?

1 minute ago, Tackle said:

I'm a bit mixed about stirling events, having done the shit for real but now we'll past my prime, I'm concerned that I won't always react well if  bawled at etc.

my other bugbear is that a majority of the posts/reviews of their events have been by guys who act as if these events will turn them in to genuine "operators",

no offense to players who have played their events, but it's Airsoft ffs, & as jimbo has pointed out, holding a building for a length of time when no assault on it has been planned feels like a cop out by the organizers ?, I wanna be kept interested, time is precious & if I wanted to spend time looking out the windows I can do that at home for free lol.

am I wrong ?

Constant action is difficult to achieve, I look at it like those time management games where you are cooking or something.

You have a lot of spinning plates and so it becomes less of an airsoft event and more of a task manager where feedback/status reports are key.

Do you interfere to artificially create firefights? If you have two aggressive command teams I don't think that is needed.

At the end of the day, as long as objectives are being fought over you will have action, so make them worth having. Mechanised Infantry helps too.

• Supporters

Of course there's gonna be downtime, sometimes it's welcomed as a chance to scoff or sort your admin out, or god forbid have a kip 😴, but I'm a firm believer that within Airsoft, all directed "orders" need to be part of a means to an end, even if we're told we've got 5 mile tab in order to achieve a tactical advantage, as an example, then it's time well spent, we are paying for it after all.

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

am I wrong ?

I totally get what you’re saying but one thing I will say about Stirling is that they really know their stuff so 99% of it works really well. 

Their rules regarding regen work great for the site and means there’s no standing still shooting at each other with no movement. 

The main reason I was in a building with no one to defend against was down to pure bad luck and we’d sent a strong force elsewhere who weren’t good enough to take their objective but enticed all opposition their way and they didn’t even know we’d taken the objective. Only happened the once because organisers rejigged it and changed tactics meaning we were not in that situation again. 

There are some who think they are pro and forget its airsoft and then some who plink about when true enough somewhere in the middle is probably what is best. Though I guess same can be said at skirmish sites. 

52 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Of course there's gonna be downtime, sometimes it's welcomed as a chance to scoff or sort your admin out, or god forbid have a kip 😴, but I'm a firm believer that within Airsoft, all directed "orders" need to be part of a means to an end, even if we're told we've got 5 mile tab in order to achieve a tactical advantage, as an example, then it's time well spent, we are paying for it after all.

The orders I saw and heard were more open and basically just where to attack and when. 

Occasionally odd odd bit of advice, e.g “use the trench to approach train line...” so had I not been attached to HQ I wouldn’t have felt ordered about or being bossed. Just co-ordinated. Though I totally agree if it’s not done in the right way, I’d have major problems with it. 

1 hour ago, Seth_K said:

Nice review, I might go to one of their events next month now. Just need new boots and I'm good to go.

Brilliant review actually!

Thank you :) 

make sure got plenty of mid caps! 

You dont even want speed speed loaders on you there from a tactical point of view as you stand out a mile with speedloader rattle! I only had 5 midcaps so had to keep loading after firefights and felt like a right nob! Haha. 

33 minutes ago, Jimbodini42 said:

I totally get what you’re saying but one thing I will say about Stirling is that they really know their stuff so 99% of it works really well. 

Their rules regarding regen work great for the site and means there’s no standing still shooting at each other with no movement. 

The main reason I was in a building with no one to defend against was down to pure bad luck and we’d sent a strong force elsewhere who weren’t good enough to take their objective but enticed all opposition their way and they didn’t even know we’d taken the objective. Only happened the once because organisers rejigged it and changed tactics meaning we were not in that situation again. 

There are some who think they are pro and forget its airsoft and then some who plink about when true enough somewhere in the middle is probably what is best. Though I guess same can be said at skirmish sites. 

The orders I saw and heard were more open and basically just where to attack and when. 

Occasionally odd odd bit of advice, e.g “use the trench to approach train line...” so had I not been attached to HQ I wouldn’t have felt ordered about or being bossed. Just co-ordinated. Though I totally agree if it’s not done in the right way, I’d have major problems with it. 

Thank you :) 

make sure got plenty of mid caps! 

You dont even want speed speed loaders on you there from a tactical point of view as you stand out a mile with speedloader rattle! I only had 5 midcaps so had to keep loading after firefights and felt like a right nob! Haha. 

I was there. What side were you on?

5 minutes ago, SgtTalbert said:

I was there. What side were you on?

I was on the multi cam side. Had a warrior half plate carrier and a black TM Sopmod 

11 minutes ago, Jimbodini42 said:

I was on the multi cam side. Had a warrior half plate carrier and a black TM Sopmod 

Lol, that doesn't help but we were on same side. I slept in the barn.

Was a good weekend. Night time play was a lot of fun

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Jimbodini42 said:

Comment of the yr so far ! 😂

up there with everyone’s favorite ?

marshal to player “can you describe the player who wasn’t taking there hits ?” 

Player to marshal “ yea I can they were wearing a camouflage uniform and I think they had a black gun with a sticky out magazine !” 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍

6 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Comment of the yr so far ! 😂

up there with everyone’s favorite ?

marshal to player “can you describe the player who wasn’t taking there hits ?” 

Player to marshal “ yea I can they were wearing a camouflage uniform and I think they had a black gun with a sticky out magazine !” 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍

Haha leave me alone I was half asleep! 😂

Archived