Aiming, am I doing it wrong?

Musica
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've always been using the iron sights on the rental guns I've been using. I see a lot of people saying red dots etc aren't useful and they don't use them so I'm a bit confused why people aren't aiming? 

I wouldn't want anything above a 1x sight but I don't shoot my gun before I acquire my sight picture.  

• Head Moderator

Unless you have adjusted your sights to zero them, it may take a while to figure out where you are shooting, i.e. sight picture aiming at centre of mass but BBs going right by a few feet and missing the target.  

Depends what you play, for CQB it is often a case of snap shooting at close range and not actually aiming per se.  Players' eyepro will effect their sight picture as well.  Others just spam the trigger sending BBs in general direction, relying on sheer volume of BBs (and luck) to hit.

Outdoors I have a scope to allow me to spot targets, the magnification making it easier to see them.  

Especially with a full auto gun that is not on the expensive side, you can't get them accurate enough to make using a sight that useful, so most people use the sights to get a vague idea of where the bb's will go and then spray and pray to Jesus 

And of course @Jedi_Master beets me to it but I typed it out so I will say it 😁

• Moderators

what they said as i was replying at the same time ^^^^^^ then another reply! 

remember though your firing a little bit of plastic that can change direction due to how your AEG is set up and a slight breeze. People spend hours doing this, some 5mins. My 'sights', all clones give me a rough location the BB should go but can guarantee it wont unless its a still day! @EvilMonkee will agree here, its his favourite subject! haha

• Supporters

Depends on your style. If you go full auto, shooting in the general direction of the opponent, then adjust as the BBs fly, then you don't even need sights. But that means the first 5-10 BBs won't hit.

I play single shots only when playing with the AEG. Red dot is zeroed and using a red dot is much faster and more natural for me to aim than iron sights.

• Supporters

I have yet to use a sight on any of my RIFs. I just point and shoot, and if I am off(usually the case) I correct when the bb is in the air. 

You dont need to send bursts flying, I usually triple shoot. 1 for aim, 2 to hit(allowing for wind/twigs)

Not real rifles zero point zeroing them.  Only point to red dots is quick target acquisition and only then really if you are a competent weapons handler which the majority of us are not.  Scopes are for seeing fall of shot, anything more is guesswork/experience.   

I find scopes and even ironsights of little use, unless using a DMR at the limit of its range.

By the time I have lined it all up, I have already been hit if I am spotted.

So I tend just to aim like Prisce does when on semi, and as Samurai said when on full auto.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

Depends on the dot.  I have an enclosed tubular 2x (ish) dot which I don't rate.  On the other hand, I love my open reflex sights, both the ~£15 PINTY branded (or equivalent), or even this £5.50 one that I took a punt on just to see how bad it was. The laser was loose, but when glued in, it rather surprisingly works just fine.

At that price, you've got very little to lose (well, £5.50) in buying one and slinging it on a rental G36 to see how you get on.  Heck, it costs less than a sight protector.

Something else to bear in mind is that a dot sits higher than the iron sights on a G36, which means you don't have to hold the gun as high.  For me, that's worth the price of entry just by itself towards the end of a long day.

Most guns I've used aren't consistent enough to rely on a sight picture over 25 metres or so.

Maybe the more expensive ones will be but all mine are 'fire in the general direction' :D

I did try someone's rifle that shot like a laser but that's a rare thing.

As a few have said, high zoom scopes are only really "useful" for spotting. If you're fortunate enough to have it zero'd to the perfect distance to make your shot, more often than not in my experience you'll watch the bb tap them and continue to watch as they don't feel it and keep playing. It's bloody infuriating. 

I use a fleabay red dot on my Krytac CRB though and have it zero'd to whatever the length of my garden is, at a guess probably 4-5m. Because of the way BBs fly out of an RIF with a hop up, it's not really possible (in my experience) to zero a scope or sight in so that it will be bang on across a range of distances, instead you find that you zero it to a sweet spot and have to adjust your aim for distances longer or shorter than that sweet spot anyway

30 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Depends on the dot.  I have an enclosed tubular 2x (ish) dot which I don't rate.  On the other hand, I love my open reflex sights, both the ~£15 PINTY branded (or equivalent), or even this £5.50 one that I took a punt on just to see how bad it was. The laser was loose, but when glued in, it rather surprisingly works just fine.

At that price, you've got very little to lose (well, £5.50) in buying one and slinging it on a rental G36 to see how you get on.  Heck, it costs less than a sight protector.

Something else to bear in mind is that a dot sits higher than the iron sights on a G36, which means you don't have to hold the gun as high.  For me, that's worth the price of entry just by itself towards the end of a long day.

my rental days are done! They took my ukara form yesterday :) I never considered the height thing the lower the weight the less force it takes to hold it up so that would help with my playstyle for sure as I walk about with my gun shouldered sights up. I aim at what I want to hit then shoot. Didn't realise people did anything but. 

A few have said red dots work better for this than irons so I think I'd benefit from one with my play style. I can see people who walk shots in benefiting from tracers more than sights.  I'm worried I would see my bbs hitting people and get too annoyed if they didn't take their hit if I had a tracer. 

I can't afford any sights for a while so I might try  just firing towards people see what I think before I commit to a sight always nice to use a gun stock as well. 

Never played outdoors (I do indoor CQB as a staple) and i'm not sure whether rifles get better results with scopes so I can't offer an opinion on that, but what I can say is that I have a mate who uses a beautiful custom 1911 with tracer and a red dot tactical scope (unsure of what make) and the scope seems completely and utterly surplus to requirements, as he always adjusts his aim to the tracer rather than the dot.

Personally I use a Socom with a tracer, and as long as the mags are gassed right and I'm not shaking like Ozzy, a "down the sights and shoot" approach has almost always garnered the desired results. 

I never used to bother but since going TM recoil I do, other factors out of the equation id say 9 out of 10 hit the spot and the missed one is usually not by much 

I zero all of mine be it a holo, dot, scope or iron sights (if adjustable). Part of it is getting the hop set first with the right weight of ammo and then zero from that to a range I am likely to be playing at. WIth the exception of a scope it would be about 30m average give or take for a zero (then I can account for needing to aim higher or lower depending on target distance).

I don't expect to stack BBs up shot-on-shot but they certainly do go where I send them once zeroed – ignoring wind deviation but again that can be adjusted for on the fly, not by changing the zero, just aiming a little to the left or right etc... no point adjusting the sight/scope for the wind really as I'll be changing direction all the time just like the wind will change at will too.

I use various sights but I found irons to be the most reliable ones. There is not much that can go wrong with them.

As far as aiming, depends on the situation. If I have time to properly aim, I do so, otherwise the first couple of shots are hip fired, just to give me enough time to get behind the sight or look for cover.

The only exception is my striker, it does shoot like a laser and hits the same spot 9/10 times so I can afford to aim at stupid spots like fingers, ears and elbows and actually hit.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Musica said:

my rental days are done! They took my ukara form yesterday

Qapla'!

So, what are you getting?  An MP5K, or something rubbish, or an MP5K? ;)

3 hours ago, Musica said:

I can't afford any sights for a while

£5.50?  I'm quite serious, that sight I linked about does actually work.  At least well enough to let you know whether a dot is for you.

~£14 gets you one of these, which has 4 styles of dot in 5 brightnesses of 2 colours.

There are valid opinions for and against, but the only way to know if they're for you is to try one.

Oh, I should note that I'm pretty much only playing (very) CQB now, and while iron sights do work just fine at those ranges, I find that a dot helps to put the first shot on target, which is often the difference between <like-a-boss.png> and <epic-fail.gif>

I use a 1-4x short dot on my AEG. 90% of the time I keep it on 1x but with longer shots it does help to have more. It's been r hopped and has an excellent airseal so I'm getting accurate shots out to 60 to 70m

using iron sights is actually putting yourself at a disadvantage IMO because your not focusing on what the bb's are actually doing  ,  iv allways just point and shoot   ,basically aiming but without using ironsights and positioning your cheek/head so you can see the full flight path clearly ...

12 minutes ago, Careless said:

using iron sights is actually putting yourself at a disadvantage IMO because your not focusing on what the bb's are actually doing  ,  iv allways just point and shoot   ,basically aiming but without using ironsights and positioning your cheek/head so you can see the full flight path clearly ...

Do it with both eyes open and you can see down the sights and BB travelling. 👍

• Supporters
7 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Not real rifles zero point zeroing them.  Only point to red dots is quick target acquisition and only then really if you are a competent weapons handler which the majority of us are not.  Scopes are for seeing fall of shot, anything more is guesswork/experience.   

Absolutely a point zeroing them, within 30m my BBs hit where my dot is, outside that distance I need to lead a bit for wind/etc.  I can get first shot hits 95% of the time.  

Red dots don't help you acquire a target, your eyes do that!  The red dot helps you to know which way your gun is pointing, if it's zeroed correctly then you know exactly which way the gun is pointing. 

39 minutes ago, Immortal said:

Do it with both eyes open and you can see down the sights and BB travelling. 👍

That's how I do it. Guy from the military told me they get taught to aim with both eyes open so done the same gets natural after a while. 

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Qapla'!

So, what are you getting?  An MP5K, or something rubbish, or an MP5K? ;)

£5.50?  I'm quite serious, that sight I linked about does actually work.  At least well enough to let you know whether a dot is for you.

~£14 gets you one of these, which has 4 styles of dot in 5 brightnesses of 2 colours.

There are valid opinions for and against, but the only way to know if they're for you is to try one.

Oh, I should note that I'm pretty much only playing (very) CQB now, and while iron sights do work just fine at those ranges, I find that a dot helps to put the first shot on target, which is often the difference between <like-a-boss.png> and <epic-fail.gif>

Considering  I said I can't afford sights it might sound strange but I've been saving for 3 months and think I want the ASG Scorpion EVO. Got enough for the gun, 3 spare mags, the upgraded ball bearing spring guide and the milspec m95 spring. I know I know just run it stock but to be under the asg warranty it needs to shoot over 1j on an 11.1v and that's the best way to do it.

Already acquired a battery charger, batteries and chest rig.  That TRMR I picked up really screwed up my budget.

Could still pivot to a ARP9  and save myself 150~. That MP7 AEG is too expensive for an untested gun.

• Supporters

In general i tend to reckon you dont need magnification to get a hit in airsoft, just to check that they're landing (or more correctly let you determine if the guy isnt calling)

I love red dots, for short range snap target shooting which is pretty much every airsoft engagement they're perfect.

Even if they're not perfectly zeroed it's still a reference point which means that first shot is going to be much closer to the ballpark (especially once you get the hang of kentucky windage) at long range yes it turns more into fire and adjust, and at super short range you can get away with instinct.

Plus they're cheap, a £10 red dot really does do enough for our needs, and if it takes a second off the time needed to line up and get a hit, or fire once and adjust your aim then thats a second the other guy doesnt get to shoot back.

Archived