Returning old git

baconbits
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all! I say old git, I'm 29 from Bracknell near Reading. Maybe not as old as a few here 😂. I played airsoft quite regularly about a decade ago for a few years on and off. Had myself a few decent loadouts too. The reason I stopped playing and it all ended so abruptly was because the woman I was seeing at the time didn't take a break up too well and decided that my AEG's and all equipment was better off being sold to compensate her broken heart.

Still stings to this day.

Anyway, I've been lurking the forums for about a week to try and gauge the atmosphere and what the state of the sport currently is. You all seem extremely friendly, mature and very knowledgeable so it's good to know I've joined the company of some decent folks. Obviously I'm here because I want to get back in the sport. The scars have somewhat healed and I'm getting the itch. I think the first course of action will be to understand what decent sites are around me, if any forums members here know the reading and surrounding areas and what they'd recommend? How is solo players seen and are there often meetup from the forum? I abruptly and impatiently booked Tuesday night at Bristol airsoft and almost cringe at knowing I'm going to be one of the "rentals" again 😅. Though the site looks really cool, I'm not 100% I'll be able to visit there regularly.

Cheers!

You live in the same vague area as me. The local site for me would be Absolute Airsoft, It's a big woodland area and they are constantly building new areas on the sight.

Also, welcome back and hard luck with your old guns 

Welcome, your wallet won't thank you.

You can do just fine solo you need to work with your whole team not just guys you know to win. 

To get your Ukara you will need to play the same site 3 times in over 2 months. So keep that in mind.

Good kit to buy before your gun is boots, eye protection/face protection, a sling (really nice to not hold your weapon up while your dead) and a BFG like a TRMR or dyantex timed grenade. 

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

Geez, if 29 is old git I'd hate to know what my classification is at 49 😏

Aaaanyway, I'm next to you in Wokingham.

The sites I go to are Absolute as stated before but more popular with my group is Skirmish Wycombe in High Wycombe.

There's also Gunman Eversley but haven't been there myself.

I've heard Dogtag in Holmbush and Red Alert in Newbury are good too.

15 minutes ago, EDcase said:

The sites I go to are Absolute as stated before but more popular with my group is Skirmish Wycombe in High Wycombe.

Ditto to the above.

Welcome to the forum.

Not played a Skirmish at Gunman, only a Filmsim.  SIte itlsef was ok, but can't comment on how the skirmishes work.

Cheers

G

9 hours ago, baconbits said:

Anyway, I've been lurking the forums for about a week to try and gauge the atmosphere and what the state of the sport currently is. You all seem extremely friendly, mature and very knowledgeable so it's good to know I've joined the company of some decent folks.

You sure? Sounds like you found somewhere else :D  

Fair few decent sites out your way as pointed out, dont worry about being a rental. Get playing and welcome!!

Welcome!

I'm in a similar spot to you; 29, solo, just got back into it, down the road in Guildford, though fortunately my AEGs survived a breakup or two over the last decade! Didn't stop me getting a new one anyway... Playing my first game since being a teenager on Sunday.

In terms of sites, I read all of @Asomodai's "South East Tour" reviews (excellent work on these btw) and settled on EAG Dorking as it seemed to have universal praise and was under an hour from me. I'd start off giving his reviews a read on this sub forum.

• 3 weeks later...

I must be a relic then as I am going to be 65 shortly😂

On 18/03/2019 at 10:26, EDcase said:

It says on the Skirmish Wycombe webpage that they do night games but I don't see them listed on the calender, do you know when perhaps they host these?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi baconbits,

My friends and I live around reading/wokingham and we play at Gunman (Eversley) and Red Alert (Thatcham/Newbury).

Both very well run sites with friendly staff and good grounds with decent and friendly regulars. Walk on or hire is available at both.  

Gunman do a skirmish weekend normally in the first weekend of the month and a film sim weekend in the middle weekend of the month, either at their Alpha or Bravo sites (Gunman Eversley has two sites).

Red Alert do a single day skirmish every weekend, alternating between Saturday and Sunday.

Gunman have a skirmish event this weekend with plenty of spaces left if your free this weekend. 

Hope to see you there some time.

-Sharpe

Archived