Some thoughts on my first game with my own gun

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I recently played CQB using G&G .25 bbs after a break of nearly a year. The gun I took is G&G GC 16 300 BOT - basically a very short CM16 with a metal receiver and rail, but no other frills. I chose it because it is nice and light.

My conclusions were as follows:

The rental guns I used in the past were utter shite. Just using a half way decent rifle made a huge difference in accuracy, range and reliability.

After ten minutes I removed my red dot and lense protector. No use at all for what I do.

After a further ten minutes I removed my sling. Just a nuisance when playing cqb. For me at least.

I don't like single point slings. Mine is a decent Blackhawk jobbie but I will never use it again.

For people like me who use glasses goggles just don't work. There is no way to stop them fogging. Poor vision and the darkk environment of the site on a cold March morning made it impossible for me to be effective.. I kept acquiring a target and then waiting to confirm that he was on the other side, and got shot because of the delay. 

Colour coded arm bands are useless for me,  especially over twenty metres. There must be a better way of distinguishing between the two sides. 

The layout of the site had changed and I kept getting lost.

There is no point in treating your guns like works of art. I have been guilty of this with all my prized possessions for most of my life. Your gun is going to suffer all sorts of surface damage  over time. so you better start treating it a just a tool you use to play. Clean it and take care of it, but don't obsess over it. My gun took a hit that left a very noticeable dent in the thin metal dust cover, and a tiny bit of surface damage when I dropped it. In some ways I prefer it with a few battle scars.

I was very lucky not to be seriously injured.  As I moved forward at one point  towards the end of the game, unaware that there was quite a big drop in the floor level ahead of me, I went over and hit the deck like a sack of shit, landing exactly on the hip that I broke last June. You can imagine what went through my mind as I lay there for a minute or two: my missus is going to wipe the floor with me. 

Fortunately though I was sore and bruised I was able to get up and carry on. So it looks like I didn't break my hip again,. My gun went flying and suffered a couple of small marks to the exterior, but nothing to cry about.

Never take risks with face protection. One bloke lost a tooth during the game.

So a game of ups and downs, a steep learning curve, but a generally very enjoyable day.

But until I sort out my vision, I am on a hiding to nothing. Until I get some contact lenses I will continue to be a very easy target.

Agree with the stripping the gun back. One of the best things I ever did was stop playing dress up and leave all the nonsense at home. I take minimal stuff with me in a game now. Including gun bling.

Having a gun you can count on is great. I never used rentals, but had a shitty CM16, once I bought a krytac (and then an EVO) I have not looked back. That feeling of being out gunned and out ranged made some games hard to play as you felt there was no point!

+1 for face pro. Im not the prettiest tool in the box (or sharpest or shiniest) but I want to protect what I have.

I dont wear glasses, but my mission with eye pro and fogging/something comfortable is ongoing and I feel your pain!

Oh and I MISS CQB sooooooooo much...

The armband thing I dont know what to suggest. It it the easiest and cheapest solution for most sites. The only other way around it is to make players wear certain colours/camo/uniform but then its more like a milsim and I generally wont play a site that tells me what to wear (unless black or dark grey is fine, them I can manage lol)

• Supporters

Have you tried fan goggles , I wear glasses and last time I played at strikeforce in Gloucester (a honking CQB site) they worked really well with my glasses . I wiped down both sets of glasses with revision wipes and away to go , couple of times they ‘almost’ started to mist up but a quick burst of the fan on high stopped it ,  and I freely admit I was sweating like a pig in a mosque !

12 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

There is no point in treating your guns like works of art. I have been guilty of this with all my prized possessions for most of my life. Your gun is going to suffer all sorts of surface damage  over time. so you better start treating it a just a tool you use to play. Clean it and take care of it, but don't obsess over it. My gun took a hit that left a very noticeable dent in the thin metal dust cover, and a tiny bit of surface damage when I dropped it. In some ways I prefer it with a few battle scars.

I absolutely agree with this sentiment. When I got my first gun I thought it looked freaking awesome, came in a nice box, felt great to handle but then I put a scratch on the receiver trying to remove a qc stick and was heart broken. Fast forward to now and I have just gotten my second and I can’t wait for it to get some use and pick up some battle scars.

The whole battle worn look really does it for me now.

9 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Have you tried fan goggles , I wear glasses and last time I played at strikeforce in Gloucester (a honking CQB site) they worked really well with my glasses . I wiped down both sets of glasses with revision wipes and away to go , couple of times they ‘almost’ started to mist up but a quick burst of the fan on high stopped it ,  and I freely admit I was sweating like a pig in a mosque !

Your goggles DIY or some package kit? The Revision wipes helped my i-force goggles a lot. Never had unplayable vision using the wipes where last time near the end of the games it was getting to a point I couldn't see so they certainly help. 

Going to make a separate topic on aiming and sights because I always used the iron sights on the rental gun and was wanting to get a 1x scope for my first AEG. I know the guns aren't that accurate but looking where I'm shooting seems to help me. 

2 hours ago, GenePoolReject said:

I absolutely agree with this sentiment. When I got my first gun I thought it looked freaking awesome, came in a nice box, felt great to handle but then I put a scratch on the receiver trying to remove a qc stick and was heart broken. Fast forward to now and I have just gotten my second and I can’t wait for it to get some use and pick up some battle scars.

The whole battle worn look really does it for me now.

I was the same with my first, now I chuck it about all over the place hoping to 'wear' it in.. 

Was the same with my car, now after having to park on a busy street in London it has marks on every corner and panel and to the best of my knowledge only 1 was due to my driving :D  have given up caring now! 

If I ever upgrade the car I will find a quiet street though for sure...

11 hours ago, Druid799 said:

No, not yet. But it might be a case of shelling out for something else that doesnt really work for me. I sweat profusely, even in the winter.

1 hour ago, Musica said:

Your goggles DIY or some package kit? The Revision wipes helped my i-force goggles a lot. Never had unplayable vision using the wipes where last time near the end of the games it was getting to a point I couldn't see so they certainly help. 

Going to make a separate topic on aiming and sights because I always used the iron sights on the rental gun and was wanting to get a 1x scope for my first AEG. I know the guns aren't that accurate but looking where I'm shooting seems to help me. 

My Bolle goggles were quite expensive, and I have used the Bolle own brand wipes to no effect.

Do you think the Revision ones would be better?

20 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

No, not yet. But it might be a case of shelling out for something else that doesnt really work for me. I sweat profusely, even in the winter.

My Bolle goggles were quite expensive, and I have used the Bolle own brand wipes to no effect.

Do you think the Revision ones would be better?

They aren't snake oil wipes for sure. I wiped them down in the safe zone between each game and it helped a lot never got as bad as it had without the wipes. Can't speak to the quality of the bolle wipes and haven't read anything about them being good or bad. 

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Musica said:

Your goggles DIY or some package kit? 

Not DIY I have a pair of TM ones and my son has a pair of the TMC ones and both work fine with a wee bit of pre game preparation.

41 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Not DIY I have a pair of TM ones and my son has a pair of the TMC ones and both work fine with a wee bit of pre game preparation.

The TM one is that mask removable? Looks like it would effect a cheek weld. I've head bad things about the FMA ones but never read anything on the TMC ones. 

When I’m playing cqb with a lower face I use hero shark mesh glasses. Outdoors I don’t run a lower so I run actual glasses/goggles with no issues. 

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, Musica said:

The TM one is that mask removable? Looks like it would effect a cheek weld. I've head bad things about the FMA ones but never read anything on the TMC ones. 

My TM didn’t have the mask but you can unclip it if you have the mask as well , a mate has the fma ones when they arrived we shot the shit out of the spare lense , after multiple hits to it we only managed to scuff it to hell and and make one solitary crack , basically same result with the boys TMC one .

Thanks for the info Druid. 

I'm wondering if a better designed lower face mask is worth the investment and would yield better results than spending the moon on eye pro. I've seen some for 40-50 quid from a UK company plastic from nose to chin side parts are cloth like the one tigiris one. 

Can't find the product just now will post it later. 

2 hours ago, Wo1f said:

When I’m playing cqb with a lower face I use hero shark mesh glasses. Outdoors I don’t run a lower so I run actual glasses/goggles with no issues. 

Is it possible to get a pair of prescription glasses under the hero shark mesh glasses?

21 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

Is it possible to get a pair of prescription glasses under the hero shark mesh glasses?

Mine are in bolle glasses frames, but I’m sure he could do goggles with the same mesh. I’m sure he’s a member on here 

Archived