FPS limit?

Handyman
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Question guys & girls 350FPS limit tested with 0.20’s is that with the hop fully off so gun is only capable of shooting 350 or less with some hop on or using 0.25’ for example?

thanks in advance for your help. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Personally i would test for energy, so with hop set to whatever you normally shoot with, on the weight of ammo you normally use then measure for joules.

However some sites can be incredibly picky and insist on the whole using .2's with the hop turned off and 1fps over the limit is not allowed. If a site pulled that on me i'd be asking them for the physical basis for such a testing procedure and a copy of their chronograph's calibration certificate.

Some sites can be the opposite, not understanding that for example 328fps on .4's is not the same as 328fps on .2's

And that's before you even get into joule creep, or the old "we don't chronograph green gas pistols" chestnut.

• Supporters

There's various calculators out there, take a look at the tutorial section there's a spreadsheet i made up or just google fps calculator for something a bit flashier.

50 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

a copy of their chronograph's calibration certificate.

I'm just imagining the reaction you'd get from this :lol:

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

However some sites can be incredibly picky and insist on the whole using .2's with the hop turned off and 1fps over the limit is not allowed. If a site pulled that on me i'd be asking them for the physical basis for such a testing procedure and a copy of their chronograph's calibration certificate.

And when that site turns round and says "our site our rules off you fuck" it will be your own fault for being an irritating tosser.

Nothing worse than working chrono and some twerp argues on the result. Especially when you hear my Madbull chrono said it was whatever-fps

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Burny said:

I'm just imagining the reaction you'd get from this :lol:

Probably dumbfoundedness at the idea that its something you can do.

But it is a fair point, nobody calibrates their chrono's and therefore its hypocritical for them to claim they can identify to an accuracy of 1fps, especially when more often than not they then ignore joule creep/dont bother chrono'ing green gas pistols.

2 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

And when that site turns round and says "our site our rules off you fuck" it will be your own fault for being an irritating tosser.

Nothing worse than working chrono and some twerp argues on the result. Especially when you hear my Madbull chrono said it was whatever-fps

You dont seem to have got my meaning, 1fps means fuck all when it comes to airsoft, especially if your using a test method that ignores joule creep.

• Supporters

My home site it’s below 350 on a .2 with the hop set to what ever you’d use in-game .

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

You dont seem to have got my meaning, 1fps means fuck all when it comes to airsoft, especially if your using a test method that ignores joule creep.

No I got your meaning and the simple fact is site limit is site limit. Impossible to test and allow for joule creep which is why most sites use the tried and tested 0.2 method.

I have told players no on 1fps over and if they argued they got a one word answer "tough".

5 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

My home site it’s below 350 on a .2 with the hop set to what ever you’d use in-game .

Standard for most sites. Dialling hop off is stupid and never actually seen it done as pointless result.

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

i have told players no on 1fps over and if they argued they got a one word answer "tough".

This exactly , it’s all I ask from a site consistency in applying the rules  , it’s an old adage but “rules is rules !” End off .

Ive had guns turned away for failing by 1 or 2FPS that have past at other sites or even at that site in the past ! But soon as you start the “oh go on then I know you won’t take the piss” eventually shits going bad for one reason or another .

Moral of the story children ? give yourself a good margin for error , you get your gun set up to fireing at 349.99999999fps on your mates chrono your gonna get burned and it’ll end in tears ! 😭

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

No I got your meaning and the simple fact is site limit is site limit. Impossible to test and allow for joule creep which is why most sites use the tried and tested 0.2 method.

Its not impossible to test for joule creep, i've just never seen a site that could be arsed doing it properly.

Case in point: lets say i go to a site, 328 limit, chrono the polarstar and get 328 328 329 on the .2's they put in the mag.

"Sorry she's hot you can't run that"

"It's cool, i'll turn it down, you can even tourney lock the reg if you like"

So i turn it down, hit 320 on .2's so its under the limit, they lock the reg

Then i drop some .4's in and she's putting out 290fps or 1.55 joules

Then i ask "do you chrono pistols?"

"Only co2"

"That's cool, this one's green gas"

What they dont realise is the pistol has an extended barrel under its suppressor and puts out 2j on .4's

Thing is, that according to the site rules i havent broken any. I chrono'd honestly according to what i was asked, and yet i'm running around with hot guns. Whats worse is that because so many airsofters don't understand how these things work its entirely possible for me to have had no idea that's what i'm doing and i could genuinely beleive everything's fine.

Dunno about you but i'd rather be hit by someone running 1j than someone running 1.5j or 2j from a pistol.

Now what actually happens is i rock up at the chrono with the polarstar and say "i'm running .3's" because that's what i'm running, the concientious sites then set their chrono to .3's and i chrono to 1j and i get very tetchy when i see gas guns running suppressors because i know what that could mean.

• Supporters
Just now, Adolf Hamster said:

Its not impossible to test for joule creep, i've just never seen a site that could be arsed doing it properly.

Unless you want to have a 3hr chrono line and lie detector test for when players declare their ammo then yes it is. Most sites have a maximum of an hour to chrono anywhere from 50 to 150 players so quick and simple works best.

Lots of players talk about how easy things are with no clue on what it is really like. You try and herd a 100 airsofters through chrono. It amazes me no marshal has ever thrown in the towel and beat some dumb argumentative little fucker to death with his raider yet.

• Supporters

You only have to keep an eye out for the gas guns and pistols with suppressors and keep a stash of heavier ammo to test those players.

Aeg's don't really joule creep to any significant degree without a lot of pre-meditated setup so the ol' .2's is fine here, as are most pistols with standard barrels.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Handyman said:

So aim for 340ish and I’d be good?

Yeah that's probably the easier option option :P

as you can see the whole chrono'ing thing is a contentious issue

Our local site went over to chrono on power using your own ammo, ok that relies on people being honest when declaring weight but the whole game is 'honour' based . Cant see any reason why it should be a problem doing it that way. My L96 is absolutely bang on the limit if you take the 500 fps on .20's route but I regularly use .43's in it, I haven't gamed it since I chronod it at home and wont until I get round to re springing it

Educate a paintballer ..... why have a policy of not chronographing green gas pistols?

Is it inconsistency & adjustment?

Sounds like a problem area to me.

For example with co2 we would set a lower chrono limit to allow for fluctuation going up

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Educate a paintballer ..... why have a policy of not chronographing green gas pistols?

Is it inconsistency & adjustment?

Sounds like a problem area to me.

For example with co2 we would set a lower chrono limit to allow for fluctuation going up

Because green gas pistols aren't as loud and scary as co2 pistols so they can't be hot.

At least that seems to be as much logic as any site i've asked has put into it.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

You only have to keep an eye out for the gas guns and pistols with suppressors and keep a stash of heavier ammo to test those players.

Aeg's don't really joule creep to any significant degree without a lot of pre-meditated setup so the ol' .2's is fine here, as are most pistols with standard barrels.

Would still take too long and then people would just test on lower gas and remove suppressors.

In a perfect world it would be easy but reality is very different.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Would still take too long and then people would just test on lower gas and remove suppressors.

In a perfect world it would be easy but reality is very different.

you check the suppressor, if it's got a barrel extension in it/under it it'll almost certainly be hot.

better than not checking at all......

As an example, in my ignorance I added a nice new tightbore extended barrel to my WE G19 running through a suppresor. The site I used to play at didnt chrono pistols so no big deal I thought.

Then I went  to the Mall, where they did chrono it. And it was running at 390fps on 0.2s with green gas.

Whoops. 😦 Its now been sitting on my gun rack for months gathering dust as I havent got round to buying a new/original sized barrel for it and misplaced the original. 

39 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

why have a policy of not chronographing green gas pistols?

It's rare that a green gas pistol is over the limits, most simply aren't (generally) capable.

If using red gas it may push it over or on green using a longer/extended barrel.

Black gas will more than likely take it over.

(Black gas can be known as Co2 but in airsoft it doesn't always seem so)
Co2 can vary wildly from pistol to pistol (design & brand).

Archived