Accessory purchases you regret.

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Although there is nothing really wrong with them, and they look nice on a gun, I can't see me ever making much use of my two red dot sights. I only play cqb and they are pretty much redundant in a dark short range environment. I've put them both back in their boxes -  and the lense protector I bought. A tracer is a much more useful accessory than a sight.

My Bolle goggles for glasses wearers have been a waste of time. There is no way I can stop them or my glasses from fogging up. I should just have put the money towards contact lenses.

Most of my tactical gear is likely to get little use. I have a decent 5.11 Trainer Belt, which I like, but I could have gone without my molle belt and harness. I have a little chest rig that holds a couple of mags, but I'm more likely to be using hicap mags. None of my stuff was expensive but it mounts up, and I could have spent the money more wisely.  

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much every scope/red dot i have bought, a tracer is much more useful. Also had so garbage speed loaders.

• Supporters

i disagree on the red dot thing. 

for me it's the 203 and pair of 40-mikes, horribly underwhelming.

although i didn't buy it (came on the gun) the vltor rail i have, lovely rail but just makes the gun far too heavy on the frontend

No accessories, but guns....

M&P9L, sold without firing a shot

TM MK23, sold after one mag 

TM Hi-Capa standard, upgraded to non-drop barrel and all black.

But honestly, regret isn’t the right word. Tried and rejected probably a better description

Was going to write a loooong list.

But I regret reading the thread title.

Guns... I’d be here all day. 

Accessories.. cheap PEQ boxes, flip over magnifier, certain rails. 

Surefire helmet light - doesn't seem particularly bright and sticks out a lot from the arc rail.

Viper knee pads (2006) - straps ripped after a day's wear, went straight back for a refund.

There are probably more tbh, thankfully I've managed to sell on most of my duff buys...

• Supporters

I’m with @Immortal no regrets once it bought it bought end of (unless I was buttf**ked over the price then I really regret buying it ! 😭🤦‍♂️) But if I had to be tied down to an answer then I’d say absolutely ANYTHING that bolts on to a gun bar a tac light ! At the ranges we play at you don’t really need any of it do we ? It’s just frippery we hang of our pretend guns to enhance our fun and games playing dress up cowboys and Indians ? 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

red dot sights

Tubey ones, or flat reflex ones?  You can have my reflex sights when you pry them from my cold dead, etc.

For me, it's my BaoFeng radio.  I mean, it works just fine, but communication in airsoft is more about LARPing than effectiveness.  Pretty much any time I've been using it, I could have been respawning faster, reloading pyro, or having a gossip.

36 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

For me, it's my BaoFeng radio.  I mean, it works just fine, but communication in airsoft is more about LARPing than effectiveness.  

Where as I find decent comms can make or break a game. 

My regret is when i first got into airsoft just spending spending spending spending  without doing research or looking into things and also buying things just on someone else’s recommendation, just because it works for them doesn’t mean it’ll work for you! Case in point the slings/optics/gloves and all other shit stuff I bought when starting out and listening to plebs on YouTube.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

For me, it's my BaoFeng radio.  

I could NEVER do without my radio !😱

how the hell would I be able to take the piss and generally wind my mate up when he’s in a different part of the site too me ! Would mean I’d actually have to go and find him ! 😂😂

Just now, Druid799 said:

I could NEVER do without my radio !😱

how the hell would I be able to take the piss and generally wind my mate up when he’s in a different part of the site too me ! Would mean I’d actually have to go and find him ! 😂😂

I was thinking a radio would be a good buy to keep a group together through respawns. 

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Musica said:

I was thinking a radio would be a good buy to keep a group together through respawns. 

We all think that in the beginning but it always deteriorates in to piss taking , name calling and all kinds of General bullshitery on the airwaves ! 🤦‍♂️😂😂😂😂

But I suppose there is the VERY occasional bit of tactical use if the situation really really calls for it ? ! 😉

• Kombat Spartan Plate Carrier (I think that's what it was) - completely useless and impractical for my use but fortunately it was cheap. I tried it for a couple weeks and threw it in the cupboard.
  • Nuprol Helmet - should have fit in theory but in practice this wasn't  the case.
  • Mag clamps/couplers - tried a variety of these which have usually culminated in either fitment issues (mag's not fitting correctly).
  • Repro/replica slings - had a few and eventually picked up a genuine sling.
  • Universal holsters - I've had quite a few of these and there is not a lot I can say, beyond the dictionary definition being somewhat different to that applied to holsters. Admittedly the difference in pistol designs can be significant which no doubt compounds the issue.
  • Eotech holosight replicas - Simply awful. On the other hand I've had some solid replica red dot sights but I'll go down the Vortex route at some point.

I think that about sums it up. Admittedly all of the above has been a culmination of trial and error along with some being a result of poor product spec publication. I'd probably say that I've been quite lucky as I've not really experienced any buyers remorse or regrets with the majority of my purchases. Admittedly in hindsight there are some things I'd probably do differently, knowing what I now know, but I've mostly gone my own way and done as much leg work as I can.

As others have said, I'm not sure I'd use the term regret.

• Supporters

Things i regret buying

WE M9 Samurai Edge - Awful, Awful, Awful performance pistol. Hated it so much in the end i gave it away for free to a mate.

EMG AW DS2011 SAI - Looked pretty, shit performance, accuracy would have been a foreign concept for this pistol

G&G M14 EBR - Lovely looking AEG, spent loads on upgrades, WEIGHED A MOTHERF**KING TONNE, played one or two skirmishes with it before selling it to a mate, who never used it and one day sadly got burgled and all his Airsoft stuff stolen.

GHK M4 Mod1 - Dont get me wrong, this was a great gun and performed well, just wish i bought the TM MWS instead first because it performs better IMO

Revision Desert Locusts - Supposed to be anti fog etc etc, shipped from the US at great expense. Fogged within 15 minutes of use, it was bulky and so i got rid of it. Glad i discovered Dye i4 masks now.

Emerson Multicam clothing - Unless you have a small bum its an uncomfortable fit, no gusset meant that vaulting over fallen logs etc was a no go. Also poor workmanship, my mum (a fashion machinist who's work for several high profile designers) was shocked at the poor quality of stitching and finishing on the hems and how they use only overstitching or lock stitching to hold various panels together especially in places where high stresses would be applied to them. 5.11 stuff is far better for only a little bit more cost.

Buying a series of CIRAS vests before realising you have to carry that shit and its heavy, chest rigs FTW

• Supporters
On 16/03/2019 at 23:02, Musica said:

I was thinking a radio would be a good buy to keep a group together through respawns

Only by keeping some folk out of combat.  Why be not slinging BBs when you could be slinging BBs?

Using one for bantz is a fair point.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I like most accessories most of the time.

It's a good way to buy new Airsoft toys without the wife telling me off.

I certainly do regret buying the little NCS Keymod Sling hoop for my gun.

41iNzlB54oL._SX425_.jpg

Was a bastard to fit, and then none of my slings would actually clip onto it, they were all too chunky.

Ended up leaving it on the gun and never using it. I think it was about £20 after postage. D'oh!

Eotech clone, simply useless, so dark.

Condor chest rig, felt cheap and nasty as soon as I tried it on. Sold and replaced with a was pathfinder.

• Moderators

Clone Eotech as above, but they are only toys..... the Green Laser PEQ boxes that sit in the loft.....not sure why i ended up with 3.....prob lots of other stuff.....tbh i dont think ive used the nuprol cleaning set yet

Radios are good, i only use mine with my brother at the moment so its usually 'where are you'.....i turn and wave or shoot him and say over here....or when we breaking for lunch :lol:

• Mostly Retired Moderators
32 minutes ago, djben9 said:

Green Laser PEQ boxes that sit in the loft.....not sure why i ended up with 3

Well, if you've got three kicking about, you won't mind giving one away to your ol' buddy Lewis ;) 

My god where to start!!..

Multiple masks.

Multiple eye pro.

Cheap PEQ box (fell apart in the first skirmish)

Cheap torches for CQB

Fast helmet

Various chest rigs, plate carriers.

One of the main things I totally regret was a rail adapter for my MP5K. It cost me a fortune at the time (I was a noob and knew no better) and even though I used it for a while and it was super useful, its was waaay overpriced and the cheap sling mount I put on now will not come off as the grub screw has worn.  So that poxy sling adapter is certainly a regret as now I cant sell the expensive rail adapter :D 

Regret the spring shotgun too, fired it twice and thought what a load of crap!! 

I have more stuff I no longer can/want to use than gear I actually skirmish. But it was all a learning curve to get to the decent gear so I guess it wasnt all a total regret. More of a "things I wish I knew before" 

On 16/03/2019 at 21:19, Rogerborg said:

For me, it's my BaoFeng radio.  I mean, it works just fine, but communication in airsoft is more about LARPing than effectiveness.  Pretty much any time I've been using it, I could have been respawning faster, reloading pyro, or having a gossip.

Only if they are used that way I would argue.

I really should buy one of them but I rarely see anyone I know using them... I can't count the number of times I've managed to clear a path down a stairwell and got to an objective only to find that nobody came with and I have no backup and no way of letting my team know that I've created an entrance.

If you want Roger, I'll buy one and we can use them for their true intended purpose on game days, passage of important information like locations of objectives, undefended stairwells etc, not silly roleplaying radio chatter.

Archived