Ares amoeba am-013 pro win hop up not shooting!

ManLikeBigDave
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Recently I bought a Pro Win M4 hop up unit for my ARES Amoeba am-013 AEG, as well as a madbull 6.03 inner barrel. 

I tried to use a madbull shark accelerator bucking which did not fit the unit and ripped, i then tried the stock bucking with the same story.

I moved on to use a prometheus purple bucking which actually fits inside the hop up unit, however the bb gets stuck in the bucking and will not shoot at all. I will pull the trigger a few times, pull the mag out and a few bb’s will fall out, but none will fire.

Hopefully there is some sort of solution to this problem as I do not want to buy a new gun all over again.

Edit: I should add that there is a little bit of play/ backwards and forwards movement, only by a few mm of the hop up unit when the upper and lower receiver are put back together and my pro win didn’t come with a spacer 

• Mostly Retired Moderators
18 minutes ago, ManLikeBigDave said:

I do not want to buy a new gun all over again.

That seems a little drastic...

Have you tried the Madbull barrel in your Stock ARES Hop up unit?

Or vice versa, tried your stock barrel in the Pro-win?

• Supporters

have a look up the feeding tube, is the lips on the bucking poking into it?

it's a common problem with maple leaf rubbers, although normally prommy purple aren't too bad. you can work around it if you have mags with really strong springs but the better solution is to find a rubber that doesn't do that.

also check down the barrel with the hop turned on make sure it's not protruding so much as to block the bb from leaving.

Seconded what @Adolf Hamster said, check the 

lip of the busking isn’t poking into the feed tube. Had that with my maple leaf bucking sand just GENTLY sanded them down until it no longer protruded into the feed tube. 

9 hours ago, L3wisD said:

That seems a little drastic...

Have you tried the Madbull barrel in your Stock ARES Hop up unit?

Or vice versa, tried your stock barrel in the Pro-win?

I’ve tried the madbull barrel in stock yes and the same problem, I believe i tried the stock barrel in the Pro-win and th same issue 

9 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

have a look up the feeding tube, is the lips on the bucking poking into it?

it's a common problem with maple leaf rubbers, although normally prommy purple aren't too bad. you can work around it if you have mags with really strong springs but the better solution is to find a rubber that doesn't do that.

also check down the barrel with the hop turned on make sure it's not protruding so much as to block the bb from leaving.

It seems to be overlapping  just by less than a mm, the problem is, is that a bb will get into the bucking, but wont shoot out of it, the bucking holds it into place, but wont fire. The air seal nozzle hits the bb but it won’t budge! 

5 hours ago, E21A said:

Seconded what @Adolf Hamster said, check the 

lip of the busking isn’t poking into the feed tube. Had that with my maple leaf bucking sand just GENTLY sanded them down until it no longer protruded into the feed tube. 

Do you think sanding it down will reduce the ability for it to get stuck? If not are there any buckings I can try?? 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, ManLikeBigDave said:

It seems to be overlapping  just by less than a mm, the problem is, is that a bb will get into the bucking, but wont shoot out of it, the bucking holds it into place, but wont fire. The air seal nozzle hits the bb but it won’t budge! 

it doesn't take much overlap to cause feeding issues. however if as you say the bb is making it's way into the chamber then next stop is to look at the nub, if it's too far into the barrel then that'll be what's blocking the bb.

other option is possibly too much extreme on the other end and you have an air leak that's causing an otherwise ok hop setting to be enough to jam the bb.

i'd try turning the hop all the way off, see if it protrudes too far, and check if the nozzle on the gearbox is sealing up against the back of the hop.

20 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

it doesn't take much overlap to cause feeding issues. however if as you say the bb is making it's way into the chamber then next stop is to look at the nub, if it's too far into the barrel then that'll be what's blocking the bb.

other option is possibly too much extreme on the other end and you have an air leak that's causing an otherwise ok hop setting to be enough to jam the bb.

i'd try turning the hop all the way off, see if it protrudes too far, and check if the nozzle on the gearbox is sealing up against the back of the hop.

The nozzle does seal up as i had a look when i checked the chamber and dry fired to see if it came into the chamber and it does, but there is some wobble from the hop unit as per my edit. The nub i used came with the prommy bucking and doesnt really protude much into the barrel as i tried shooting hop on and off.... 

27 minutes ago, ManLikeBigDave said:

The nozzle does seal up as i had a look when i checked the chamber and dry fired to see if it came into the chamber and it does, but there is some wobble from the hop unit as per my edit. The nub i used came with the prommy bucking and doesnt really protude much into the barrel as i tried shooting hop on and off.... 

Just wondering if the bucking is too thick?

• Supporters

hmm, could be an air leak then, you can try o-rings as a spacer to push it up against the gearbox, i run a spring in mine because by chance i happened to have one in my box o' stuff that was exactly the right size.

24 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

hmm, could be an air leak then, you can try o-rings as a spacer to push it up against the gearbox, i run a spring in mine because by chance i happened to have one in my box o' stuff that was exactly the right size.

Still a bit new to this and I am only self taught, spacer over the barrel? Or around the nozzle? I don’t like the movement of the prowin around my magwell aswell i’m not sure if that is a contributing factor as you said air leak 

• Supporters

Spacer goes around the barrel to push the hop back against the gearbox, you might notice your stock hop has a little spring on the top that does the same job.

5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Spacer goes around the barrel to push the hop back against the gearbox, you might notice your stock hop has a little spring on the top that does the same job.

Perfect! Thank you, i’ll try and find a pro win spacer, i tried the stock one but doesnt fit and the spring wont come off the stock unit 

On 16/03/2019 at 01:34, ManLikeBigDave said:

Perfect! Thank you, i’ll try and find a pro win spacer, i tried the stock one but doesnt fit and the spring wont come off the stock unit 

The spring in a biro clicky pen fits brilliantly.

Just been through a similar shenanigan with my am-008. Ended up swapping to a ZCI plastic, same theories apply (the pro win would fire 3 then float one out). Mine was a combination of issues, maple bucking with long lips, i hadn’t fully seated the barrel, we're talking .x of a mm but it was enough to make a difference and then my frustration at stripping it and testing 8 times over.

Also if you have slight feeding issues, pushing the hop back onto the gearbox harder will only make that worse.

Now reliable shot to shot. Chronod at 300 with 0.25s and will get the hop set when next on field (FPS may increase a little as I think it will overhop as it is)

11 hours ago, Steveocee said:

The spring in a biro clicky pen fits brilliantly.

Just been through a similar shenanigan with my am-008. Ended up swapping to a ZCI plastic, same theories apply (the pro win would fire 3 then float one out). Mine was a combination of issues, maple bucking with long lips, i hadn’t fully seated the barrel, we're talking .x of a mm but it was enough to make a difference and then my frustration at stripping it and testing 8 times over.

Also if you have slight feeding issues, pushing the hop back onto the gearbox harder will only make that worse.

Now reliable shot to shot. Chronod at 300 with 0.25s and will get the hop set when next on field (FPS may increase a little as I think it will overhop as it is)

So the switch to a ZCI made a good difference? I think I fixed it by using the stock spring on my hop unit and now it shoots well, just the hop up wheel is super stuff due to the rubber ring around the back of the unit. Just worried about the mag not sitting in the magwell like it used to!!! 

10 hours ago, ManLikeBigDave said:

So the switch to a ZCI made a good difference? I think I fixed it by using the stock spring on my hop unit and now it shoots well, just the hop up wheel is super stuff due to the rubber ring around the back of the unit. Just worried about the mag not sitting in the magwell like it used to!!! 

The zci has brought me back shot to shot consistency. It may be the pro win needed tinkering to get perfect. When I installed it I just threw it in expecting an easy swap. This time I've gone full on obsessive lol

A touch of oil on the o ring that the adjuster sits on will fix the stiffness however once your hop is set of argue there isn't a lot of adjustment needed.

Mag well will be fine, there is an amount of lenience in there.

3 hours ago, Steveocee said:

The zci has brought me back shot to shot consistency. It may be the pro win needed tinkering to get perfect. When I installed it I just threw it in expecting an easy swap. This time I've gone full on obsessive lol

A touch of oil on the o ring that the adjuster sits on will fix the stiffness however once your hop is set of argue there isn't a lot of adjustment needed.

Mag well will be fine, there is an amount of lenience in there.

Okay, i’ll run a few tests on the pro win, see how reliable it is, as it seems to be working well, means I can set the hop as well.

Thank you for your help! 

Archived