Weapon Ratios?

DopeYourScope
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Commonly I'm seeing a large number of single fire weapons relative to AEG users, I predominantly go to sites which are ideal for long range "sniper" engagements as I enjoy that however especially over the last few months it seems the number of us sneakys has gone up. 
I have no issue with this as counter sniping is always fun and challenging however I know it doesn't always help with furthering the team towards an objective as there are less people to get up close and personal. 

If you could have a "sniper limit" where it's say 1 sniper to 15 AEGs or similar would you prefer that? I know its almost impossible to implement outside of a milsim environment, however if it could be.

I think the problems with this are most people who turn up to games with sniper rifles aren’t very good or effective to begin with. A team of good snipers could in theory keep the enemy far enough back from the objective that your ‘normal guys’ should have little in the way of resistance. But in reality it would seem in most cases either the skills or the equipment are lacking. 

The problem with setting rules like that is if you turn up and you're told you cant use your sniper rifle despite it being within the legal limits of the site then you’ll get a lot of disgruntled players that go somewhere else. 

1 minute ago, Wo1f said:

I think the problems with this are most people who turn up to games with sniper rifles aren’t very good or effective to begin with. A team of good snipers could in theory keep the enemy far enough back from the objective that your ‘normal guys’ should have little in the way of resistance. But in reality it would seem in most cases either the skills or the equipment are lacking. 

The problem with setting rules like that is if you turn up and you're told you cant use your sniper rifle despite it being within the legal limits of the site then you’ll get a lot of disgruntled players that go somewhere else. 

Exactly my point regarding people being miffed they couldn't use their gun because there's already 3 people with scoped weapons, which is why it wouldn't ever work outside a milsim environment. 

2 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

easy solution: lower the sniper limit and ban novritsch from youtube

The "big name airsoft youtube snipers" are very good at making a shot look a lot further than it is, shots made to look 300ft are infact half that etc. 

If the limit was lowered it would become a lot more about skills and drills rather than gear, that I agree would put a large number of people off the role very quickly. However I seem to see people try it a couple of games and get bored very quickly which means you have two ends of the spectrum, the few who persevered and stuck with a bolty and those that put them away or sold them on. 

• Supporters
Just now, DopeYourScope said:

The "big name airsoft youtube snipers" are very good at making a shot look a lot further than it is, shots made to look 300ft are infact half that etc. 

If the limit was lowered it would become a lot more about skills and drills rather than gear, that I agree would put a large number of people off the role very quickly. However I seem to see people try it a couple of games and get bored very quickly which means you have two ends of the spectrum, the few who persevered and stuck with a bolty and those that put them away or sold them on. 

we have a blanket 1j limit in NI and the bolty ratio is much more realistic. they can generally be split into 3 categories:

the sneaky buggers with silent guns that hide in a hedge and shoot close range

the novritsch wannabe's who give up after a couple of games and buy an aeg

the hardcore novritsch wannabe's who give up after a couple of games and buy a second bolt, hot spring and a go-pro

It's not novritsch's fault per se, but rather the idolization of sniper rifles as a whole in modern films, shows and games (mostly games, battle royale rave). The whole "one shot, one kill" aspect of it is incredibly pleasing; everybody wants to be that chill guy who sits a mile away from his team, yet still has everyone's backs and is deemed a hero.

Novritsch is just some guy capitalizing on the market. His products aren't bad at all. But of course, he has to advertise them somehow. Thirty, horny gamer kids feast on this guy's marketing and bam, we get sniper wannabes. Is it a bad thing tho? I mean, airsoft increases in popularity from how well shooter games do.

If you want to blame something, blame modern shooters games for making sniper rifles so cool and overpowered :D

• Supporters

When the marshal asks “how many snipers on the team ?” You can take it as fact that 80% of the owners of those hands in the air wouldn’t qualify in a sniper role competition even if they were the only competitor in it ! 🤦‍♂️ There’s nothing quite as funny as seeing some plumb in a full wookee suit charging across a site with his puke green L96 flailing around firing random shots at all and sundry and screaming “take your f**king hit !” At a player in the next countie that he’s adamant he hit ! 😂😂😂

24 minutes ago, AK47frizzle said:

It's not novritsch's fault per se, but rather the idolization of sniper rifles as a whole in modern films, shows and games (mostly games, battle royale rave). The whole "one shot, one kill" aspect of it is incredibly pleasing; everybody wants to be that chill guy who sits a mile away from his team, yet still has everyone's backs and is deemed a hero.

Novritsch is just some guy capitalizing on the market. His products aren't bad at all. But of course, he has to advertise them somehow. Thirty, horny gamer kids feast on this guy's marketing and bam, we get sniper wannabes. Is it a bad thing tho? I mean, airsoft increases in popularity from how well shooter games do.

If you want to blame something, blame modern shooters games for making sniper rifles so cool and overpowered :D

I wouldn't agree with your statement regard Nov's products however that's not for this thread, I do agree it's not all down to the youtube pandemic.

7 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

When the marshal asks “how many snipers on the team ?” You can take it as fact that 80% of the owners of those hands in the air wouldn’t qualify in a sniper role competition even if they were the only competitor in it ! 🤦‍♂️ There’s nothing quite as funny as seeing some plumb in a full wookee suit charging across a site with his puke green L96 flailing around ! 😂😂😂

Was playing on sunday and more than once pinged a guy with a blue L96 who's rounds weren't reaching 180ft 😂 also been at games before, lad asked me to help him zero a scope and turns out his L96 wasn't shooting even 300fps on .2s 🙄 that's what you get for buying from a company with BB guns in their name. 

Another good one is when they ask why their scope is blurry and they've got it on 9x magnification trying to shoot someone 30m away. 😂

• Supporters
2 hours ago, DopeYourScope said:

it doesn't always help with furthering the team towards an objective

The  meta-objective is for everyone to enjoy themselves.  If there are no sad faces, then there's no problem.

Sniper ratios in London aren't too bad. Most sites are fairly small so doesn't lend much to the sniper class. 

Having said that, my battle buddy and I both played bolties for the first time last time we played and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Amazing what 60 quid rifles with 60 quids worth of upgrades will do! (Which has now turned into 240 Quid's worth)

I'd like to think I did it the right way and waited 20 months into my Airsoft "Career" before getting one. 

Trouble is now I am scratching my head trying to work out how to afford an SRS. 

I don't particularly like snipers so the fewer the better as far as I'm concerned.

Not only do games stagnate with too many snipers camping  for targets but they are also terrible at taking their hits.  Either because they don't want to loose the feeling of invulnerability but most likely because they can't feel anything through all their fluff

11 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Having said that, my battle buddy and I both played bolties for the first time last time we played and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Amazing what 60 quid rifles with 60 quids worth of upgrades will do! (Which has now turned into 240 Quid's worth)

A bit off topic but would be interested to hear about this £60 rifle and upgrades, regardless of the fact I know sniping isn't for me.

4 minutes ago, Burny said:

A bit off topic but would be interested to hear about this £60 rifle and upgrades, regardless of the fact I know sniping isn't for me.

Would expect it’s probably the Cyma 702 as they’re VSR compatible 

20 minutes ago, EDcase said:

I don't particularly like snipers so the fewer the better as far as I'm concerned.

Not only do games stagnate with too many snipers camping and waiting for targets but they are terrible at taking their hits.  Either because they don't want to loose the feeling of invulnerability but most likely because they can't feel anything through the wool.

Understandable and I’ve seen it a few times that’s why I don’t wear a leaf suit or similar I just have a ghillie cover for a boonie which covers my head to shoulders as it breaks up the outline. 

Personally wouldn’t go as far to say it’s all snipers but a select few who have an issue with “they’re a sneaky sniper who can’t be seen it must have been a mistake when they shot me because I’m so well camouflaged” 

• Supporters

I agree that there is a huge and unnecessary increase of people with bolt action rifles and I blame the youtubers for it. They romanticise sniping.

I don't agree with saying we snipers don't take our hits. It's the same as with people with any gun. Many don't take hits that the shooter thinks is a hit, nothing special about snipers there.

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, DopeYourScope said:

The Well MB-03 is also compatible-ish, and a decent enough basis for upgrading, given that you'll eventually throw most of it away anyway.

Just now, Rogerborg said:

The Well MB-03 is also compatible-ish, and a decent enough basis for upgrading, given that you'll eventually throw most of it away anyway.

Possibly however I’m not clued up on springers, I just go by what a friend tells me. 

15 minutes ago, Samurai said:

I agree that there is a huge and unnecessary increase of people with bolt action rifles and I blame the youtubers for it. They romanticise sniping.

I don't agree with saying we snipers don't take our hits. It's the same as with people with any gun. Many don't take hits that the shooter thinks is a hit, nothing special about snipers there.

Unfortunately it’s not just the youtubers it’s popular culture in general, don’t get me wrong it’s a hugely difficult job in real life and those guys deserve all the praise in the world however the closest film I’ve seen to it’s true form is Jarhead. None of them show the mathematics or the skill necessary to make a long range shot so people have the idea in their head they can just put a pair of crosshairs on a guy and always hit. 

On the hit taking side of it, a sniper should know they can be shot out of nowhere and they should honour that hit however some do and some don’t it’s the same with everyone they’re are honest players and there are dishonest players just got to enjoy the game and make those shots, especially if they’re a good long range single shot which goes unnoticed and puts a whole squad on its back foot. 😁

1 hour ago, Burny said:

1 hour ago, DopeYourScope said:

I sort of lied. Mine cost £54 its a Well MB09, which is kinda sorta VSR compatible.

For my first skirmish I installed a 30 quid Action Army 6.03 Barre which I had to cut short and crown because Well uses a non standard 505mm length barrel, a £10 AirsoftPRO Hop Lever for Well rifles, which I had to dremel down to actually let a BB down the barrel at any hop setting, Maple leaf 70 degree bucking and an AirsoftPRO Mag release button which I had to remove because it just does not work well with the MB09 design. Mine was hitting out to a very long range and was pretty accurate. Still need to zero the scope properly though. 

For the same skirmish my battle buddy went with a £70 JG Bar10, he spent 50 quid on a Laylax 6.03 VSR barrel, £10 on Laylax Nineball purple rubber and I gifted him a U shape AirsoftPRO hop arm. His was lacking range, I dont think the U shape hop lever is particularly good and wasn't providing much hop. But I think its down to personal preference, he prefers very little hop, where I prefer slight overhopping. 

After the skirmish I went with AirsoftPRO parts throughout though there is no aftermarket hop that would fit, so will probably TDC mod it eventually, though I am not getting any of the VSR swerve so may not be needed. So basically everything has been replaced apart from the Bolt receiver, Hop Unit and block, End Cap and outer barrel. I am firing a steady 490 FPS on .2's. 

Everything in the build is detailed in the thread below. 

Id be pretty pissed if I turned up at a site and got told "too many snipers, you cant use yours". Ive paid to be here and have fun and thats what I want to do. Mil-sim etc a different story, but for a normal skirmish day? As long as my gun isnt hot I should be allowed to use whatever I want. 

That being said I generally turn up with a car boot full of guns and change between them depending on how the mood takes me. 

I've been airsofting for the best part of 10 years now and only within the last few months got into sniping just to try something different, its thoroughly enjoyable and unfortunately I've been bitten by the bug of upgrades. What started off as a 2nd hand £50 VSR clone just to give it a try and see if I like it on the cheap, is quickly turning into a £50 with £250 of upgrade parts :P Though I tend to play more as a squad marksman with a bolt action rifle, keeping up with my squads and giving them a little extra range rather than being a bush wookie.

Though to be honest I dont think Ive ever turned up at a site and thought that theres too many snipers, you normally see a small handful posing in the safe zone in all their cool gear and then dont see them again after that... which I suppose is the point :P But Ive never thought in game "Wow theres so many snipers its making it so difficult to advance", because as said above generally most of them are pretty ineffective. Myself probably included in that. But I find what Im doing fun, and thats all that really matters in airsoft isnt it? Sure winning is great and all, but fun is more important. Id rather have a fun day doing what I like and "lose", than be stuck with a bunch of super alpha male tryhards who MUST WIN and have no fun being shouted at by someone thinking theyre a green beret on weekends.

I love snipers, there are so many bad ones it makes sniper hunting easy and really fun :) 

14 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Trouble is now I am scratching my head trying to work out how to afford an SRS. 

do you still have 2 kidneys, I hear that it can be a very lucrative business. As in £262,000 lucrative 🤣

I play all roles and regularly play sniper due to a lack of them at the sites i frequent.I have played several snipers only games and bloody loved them. It was all about tactics and camo skills.Every hit felt like a legit mistake had been made, and every kill the result of working for it.
What bothers me is people who cant wrap their head around distances.IE most think their AEG is accurate at 70m.... 50m is more realistic.
My hpa (wolverine bolt) sniper is almost silent allowing very sneaky play and reaches out as far as 90m on a good day with one fluke 105m hit :D (not that i am ever going to be less than ecstatic with that kill as it was on a friend who still gets salty about it to this day). Realistically i have 15/20 m range advantage at the cost of running a bolt action.
Sure i get swarmed and shot a hell of a lot more than when i am running my DMR which has around 65/70 m effective range and is MUCH more effective in the 25/65m ranges.Same as i have fun being that silly dick charging across an open field hip firing a MK43 and hosing bbs all over the place.Inevitably some sneaky sod in a bush with hit me with a burst but i do love the odd "platoon" moment :D .

But i am having fun doing it. 
End of the day, that is the ONLY thing that matters in this sport.
Having fun.

Keep the weapons rules for milsim. Skirmishes are fine as they are.

Snipers can take a long walk off a short pier.

In the real world they can't stick around in one location, or so I have read, in Airsoft they should be hit with everything you've got, Tags, Frags and Hi-Cap Mags.

Hit em and hit em hard I say, scum of the earth, sitting in some bush.

The one thing that will fix them right up is all sniper RIFs have to be loud. Simple, first shot and the whole team is on them.

8/10 times I get killed by a recon on Battlefield 4, I really don't like them. They add nothing to the team and yet there will be 20 of them on a one hill.

This is how I feel about snipers in general:

• Supporters
21 hours ago, Asomodai said:

a £10 AirsoftPRO Hop Lever for Well rifles, which I had to dremel down to actually let a BB down the barrel at any hop setting

Ditto.  Also, its's too narrow, and I've had to shim it out with washers and a bell-end of PTFE tape. They're not suitable for use in these hop units, and are being mis-sold.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Seth_K said:

Snipers can take a long walk off a short pier.

In the real world they can't stick around in one location, or so I have read, in Airsoft they should be hit with everything you've got, Tags, Frags and Hi-Cap Mags.

Hit em and hit em hard I say, scum of the earth, sitting in some bush.

The one thing that will fix them right up is all sniper RIFs have to be loud. Simple, first shot and the whole team is on them.

8/10 times I get killed by a recon on Battlefield 4, I really don't like them. They add nothing to the team and yet there will be 20 of them on a one hill.

This is how I feel about snipers in general:

You are completely Bi-polar when it comes to opinions. 

You give it the bravados about about knowing things about the military, and Airsoft in general, then you make a completely stupid point^, are you actually a troll account being piloted by multiple people?

2 minutes ago, Prisce said:

You are completely Bi-polar when it comes to opinions. 

You give it the bravados about about knowing things about the military, and Airsoft in general, then you make a completely stupid point^, are you actually a troll account being piloted by multiple people?

I think he’s just an idiot 

Archived