Gamesmanship?

Steveocee
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

surely balancing games is about ensuring you don't put all the rentals on one team?

not gonna lie don't like the idea of marshalls randomly becoming part of the game, honesty shots are one thing but forcing people out of play for no good reason isnt on.

Can't agree more. "you've got yourself in a really good position there, as a reward I'm going to penalise you". 

Let the other team lose and learn from it. I don't play because I want a really even game

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters
1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

surely balancing games is about ensuring you don't put all the rentals on one team?

not gonna lie don't like the idea of marshalls randomly becoming part of the game, honesty shots are one thing but forcing people out of play for no good reason isnt on.

Honesty shots suck in my opinion.

Better to have a couple of player marshals on each side. Players then know that the shot they choose to ignore might have consequences. 

Any shot testing can then be done within the normal game.

2 hours ago, Samurai said:

This is not the forum to spread hate. This is a place to build the community.

That's not spreading hate, that's stating a simple well-recognized oft-expressed fact

• Supporters
12 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Honesty shots suck in my opinion.

Better to have a couple of player marshals on each side. Players then know that the shot they choose to ignore might have consequences. 

Any shot testing can then be done within the normal game.

i don't mind the idea of honesty shots, as long as you're allowed to play on if you take it.

same as i'm not against spot chrono's, as an honest player i'd be glad to see them do it.

of course none of the sites round here bother with either.

18 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Its Apoc Airsoft where that twunt Licking Mustard plays? Happy to be wrong.

He’s banned from there too, hot gun and not calling hits. The same story for most of the sites in the area regarding the bloke, same as Battle ponds... not spreading hate just making everyone aware.

1 hour ago, DopeYourScope said:

He’s banned from there too, hot gun and not calling hits. The same story for most of the sites in the area regarding the bloke, same as Battle ponds... not spreading hate just making everyone aware.

Thank you for proving my point for me :)

16 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

I'l actually defend the site as a whole. They do balance the games live not just by head count/skill of players. They do all sorts like shouting out what stairwell a bunch of you are pushing up but equally they will tell your team to push an empty stairwell if your struggling. I've been on both ends of it pushed up a stairwell sneaky sneaky only for a a marshal to shout out to the enemy team were I am so I can't push further uncontested. Equally they gathered 90% of my team and sent us all up a stairwell and we just flattened the other teams defence. 

Had a marshal stop me and a few others from shooting at some guys who had got them selves pinned in to a corner to turn our backs for 30 seconds while they got out of their entrenched position.  They try to make sure everyone is having a good time. 

All I have is my side of the story he might have a  good reason maybe a BB meant for me hit him and thus it was unfair for the player who would of taken me out so instead of a painful shot at close he knifed me to save me a welt but even it up for the other side. Who knows it just seemed unusual reflecting on it so thought I'd get an opinions on it everyone seems to think it's not OK so I won't take it if it happens again and go above them to the scary yelling man who owns the site. 

58 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Thank you for proving my point for me :)

Every site in the area I’ve been to he’s not welcome. I don’t blame them after hearing The BL story, however that’s one for the PMs if anyone’s interested. 

I think verbal advice can be OK if needed, then at least it is still down to the players to achieve it or try to. If I was pinned down and destined for death only for a Marshall to stop the enemy and let me change position then I wouldn't take it, I'd just claim a hit and/or walk off...that would ruin my experience. I'd want to see if I could take out one or two before I lose, the help really wouldn't sit right with me. 

Maybe it can depend on the game format itself and of course a lot of people who play, play for different reasons to me and would disagree. 

On 13/03/2019 at 16:05, Tackle said:

@Slamz, what kent sites are you finding any good at the minute ?

I've found Invicta to be pretty good, better run for sure but unfortunately not as big and varied as Apoc. 

Not Kent but I'm a fan of Airsoft Plantation in Essex, big site, very well run, Marshall's push the game along too so it's never stale. Well worth the extra drive. 

Hopefully trying Doomsday soon too.

You?

On 12/03/2019 at 13:04, Steveocee said:

Had something happen this weekend that I've never experienced before. I'll give a brief description of both instances then wait for replies. Same player in both, player was on opposite team.

Instance 1;

Tracked opposing player for a way, he showed himself, I shot, hit, no hand went up, shot again, possibly missed as I heard a crack but hand still didn't go up. I was a bit naughty next, lifted my aim a bit and let a third one off, definitely hit (there was a bit of a squeal) although hand still didn't go up. Player then walked over to nearby barricade and started trying to have a conversation about which sniper I had and comparing like for like, what he was using, you know, normal safe zone banter but mid game. I'm for having a good banter but not mid game.

Instance 2;

I'm already alerted to this individual, he puts both hands up, comes out of bunker walking towards us shouting "parlee". 2 of his team mates are walking behind him and are still guns up so I shot both of them and then a quick shout to player asking if he's dead or not? He continues shouting "parlee" and not being taken for a fool I put one into him as well to make sure (I don't do parlee). Weirdest thing now is he came into our bunker and did the same again, started to have a conversation with a player of ours, BBs wizzing all around them, he was really trying to engage our guy in a convo, he let out quickly, "if I wanted to kill you I could have done" to which my reply was "no you wouldn't, I popped you as you were walking towards us" but still another mid game attempt at conversation and he even pulled his gun up and started shooting back at his own team !?!?!?!

I'm totally perplexed by this. Not angry or cheesed off, just really didn't understand it other than being totally oblivious to other people wanting to play airsoft on a game day or a meagre attempt at trying to recon the enemy team from up close. I'll give him, he was actually alright, we had a good convo about filing the bridge off a barrel to use a ML bucking on a VSR as we were walking back to safe zone. Wouldn't have minded the full conversation out of a game and would probably have been a lot more forthcoming with my responses.

Thoughts? Feelings? Responses?

The obvious (and unfortunately common) gamesmanship aside in point 1, I find it odd myself. No problem having a quick chat if I've been involved in a 50/50 with some other poor sod, but in-game I'm far more focused on not getting shot in the dick than I am comparing weapons or swapping life stories. Don't know about your game but in mine we do "hit-medic-hit-kill", so I'm far more pre-occupied with getting a medic than chatting.

Instance 2 is, err, original.

Archived