Is Airsoft more popular than I thought?

AndyDynamic
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm having some work done on my garage roof, and the guy spots my practice archery target (full of holes) but mistakes it and asks "do you do Airsoft?"

Turns out he used to partake but moved up to airgun target shooting and now clay/rifle shooting.

One of the guys I parkrun with spots a photo of my gear on Facebook, he used to game several years ago and has a well used M4 gathering dust.

Member of my local rc car racing club also used to game as well.

Who has surprised you by being a current or past airsofter? (Is that a thing?)

I guess I feel that because its 'omg guns are bad!' Then I don't tend to bring it up in conversation

• Supporters

I once saw my old college teacher at a game and he wasn't renting. Turns out yeah, he plays a lot and we've just somehow never ran into each other at this site before then.

One of the kids I worked with used to play... Dont know if he still does.

But I am reminded everyday of what a small world it can be!

More people own them and just don't play.

But yeah, it's surprising how many people know about it.

I used to use air rifles for target shooting. I used mainly springers to make it more difficult.

Amazing how many people I knew used very expensive pre-charged guns and scopes costing a thousand quid plus, rested (often front and rear) on a bench to put holes in paper at 30 yards.

I turned to airsoft because I found doing that kind of thing enjoyable for a while, but ultimately tedious.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

I used to use air rifles for target shooting. I used mainly springers to make it more difficult.

Amazing how many people I knew used very expensive pre-charged guns and scopes costing a thousand quid plus, rested (often front and rear) on a bench to put holes in paper at 30 yards.

I turned to airsoft because I found doing that kind of thing enjoyable for a while, but ultimately tedious.

Funnily enough was very similar for me with archery , im there with my longbow lobbing my arrows down range trying to just get a kill shot and feeling well chuffed when I did , AND then there’s everyone else standing stock still like statues with eye patches and hats with bloody blinkers on them and more things sticking out from there bows than a porcupine complaining if there arrows are more than an inch apart ! 🤦‍♂️

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Funnily enough was very similar for me with archery , im there with my longbow lobbing my arrows down range trying to just get a kill shot and feeling well chuffed when I did , AND then there’s everyone else standing stock still like statues with eye patches and hats with bloody blinkers on them and more things sticking out from there bows than a porcupine complaining if there arrows are more than an inch apart ! 🤦‍♂️

I want to try archery, something about the whole Robin Hood thing.

• Supporters

I still shoot now and again (I find it very relaxing) comes down to the same as every other hobby really it’s all about what you get out of it . I liked the purest side of it , bow/arrow/my ability and nothing else , others liked to use pin sights/counter weights/arm braces that stop your arm moving/hats with blinkers on them even ear plugs ! so all they could see is straight ahead and hear nothing .

takes all sorts I suppose. If you get the chance I’d definitely say give it a go .👍

5 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

I still shoot now and again (I find it very relaxing) comes down to the same as every other hobby really it’s all about what you get out of it . I liked the purest side of it , bow/arrow/my ability and nothing else , others liked to use pin sights/counter weights/arm braces that stop your arm moving/hats with blinkers on them even ear plugs ! so all they could see is straight ahead and hear nothing .

takes all sorts I suppose. If you get the chance I’d definitely say give it a go .👍

I'm with you on encouraging people to give archery a go, it is incredibly satisfying when you get a great shot.

I was unfortunately one of those shooting recurve, and while I didn't go down the route of the eye patches, I did have the stabilisers fitted. It takes a huge amount of skill to ensure your feet, shoulders, hands, head, chin, nose were all the same position as last time and you pulled back to the same millimetre point - some days it was fun, others it was frustrating and I did think about getting a longbow or flatbow for the more natural appeal.

Attending a coaching course though and it improved my shooting no end, until I injured the shoulder of the arm that holds the bow and that was that!

Archived