Light weight rig

DaddyM
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I'm starting out airsoft don't even have a gun yet but I've been looking at plates and chest rigs and battle belts anyway. 

I have devised a rig I think will work for myself but am just wondering if people could lead me in the right direction on this one 😊

So starting on my back I'm planning to get a 3ltr hydration unit with maybe two small pockets coming off of this I will be having a yolk attached to the packs straps which will include two pouches (one radio and one flashlight style). This will then be connected to a battle belt, which will have two pouches that can hold three m4 mags and two pistol mags (6 m4/4 pistol mags) one on each side. Then I will have a dump pouch on one side and a side arm holster on the other leaving the middle clear. 

Just want people's ideas on this pros cons you name it :)

• Supporters

Make sure its molle and modular, then you can add and remove as you like.

I'd say a belt rig with harness is the best option, dump pouch on the back, mag pouches on the left, pistol on the right and keep the front clear for going prone

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

I'd say a belt rig with harness is the best option, dump pouch on the back, mag pouches on the left, pistol on the right and keep the front clear for going prone

Just described my exact set up.

55 minutes ago, DaddyM said:

Just want people's ideas on this pros cons you name it :)

Have you played yet? What’s your play style like? 

I personally believe 6 M4 mags and 4 pistol is too much to carry, you won’t use it all, so that’s just adding weight.

When I first started playing I used 3 hi caps, and to be honest, only rarely did I use them all(over an entire day!) Now I use 3 mid caps, and I have only used them all in a single game once, and that was a massive turkey shoot.

Once you know what your style is like, what sort of player you are, it’s easier to advise you.

@Adolf Hamster that is basically what I would want to run but my harness would be built into my hydration pack i'm a fatty😂 so want to carry as little as possible but want hydration to lose "water weight" haha.

@Prisce no I haven't played yet this is my issue lol I'm only browsing for what I believe to be a good setup 👍 I would take too long to get back up from prone haha but would still keep the front clear thanks 👍. As long as I like airsoft (can't see why not) I would want to run a standard M4 for cqc and would eventually look into running it as DMR, then having a pistol back up and knife (if I can get close enough 😂

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, DaddyM said:

@Adolf Hamster that is basically what I would want to run but my harness would be built into my hydration pack i'm a fatty😂 so want to carry as little as possible but want hydration to lose "water weight" haha.

@Prisce no I haven't played yet this is my issue lol I'm only browsing for what I believe to be a good setup 👍 I would take too long to get back up from prone haha but would still keep the front clear thanks 👍. As long as I like airsoft (can't see why not) I would want to run a standard M4 for cqc and would eventually look into running it as DMR, then having a pistol back up and knife (if I can get close enough 😂

Well, in all honesty, your best bet, and first call should just be 1 game day as a rental.  

Not only will this tell you if you enjoy the thing, but it will also raise questions and answers from your experience. 

You may turn around and say, I used 1 hi cap all day, I only need 2-3 mid caps, you may say, I used 1 hi cap in the first 10 minutes and finished the bottle in the first game. In which case, we can advise you accordingly.

I can tell you have already been bitten by the bug, and looking at all the gear will make you want to buy buy buy, but I strongly advise against it until you have at least tried it.

Not only this, but you may get to your local site and find a guy identical in build to you who can give you his experiences and preferences.

Once you’ve played a game, we will all be happy to help you find exactly what your after at the best cost/quality for you, heck, most of us still aren’t 100% happy with our load outs and we have been playing for months/years/decades/millenniums(yes @Druid799 I’m talking about you).

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Prisce said:

Once you’ve played a game, we will all be happy to help you find exactly what your after at the best cost/quality for you, heck, most of us still aren’t 100% happy with our load outs and we have been playing for months/years/decades/millenniums(yes @Druid799 I’m talking about you).

Up ya bum with somthing spiky  ! 🖕

😂😂

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Up ya bum with somthing spiky  ! 🖕

😂😂

What ever floats your boat matey😉

• Supporters

When ever I get asked by anyone thinking about trying Airsoft for the first time I always recommend ;

First gameday , the rental gun and the high cap that comes with it and that’s it !

Don’t worry about any kit at all , just run the day with F’all bar the gun the mag and the bag of ammo that comes with it so you can experience airsofting at it’s purest .

Second game day ? Same thing as the first .

Third gameday ? Your almost at the point you can register on the UKARA database so NOW you should start thinking about rigs and other kit as it’s only now really that your going to start having ideas about your playing style . 

Honestly bud we’d need a toilet roll for the list of players names who have said they know what there play style will be so can we recommend the kit they need for it before they’ve even played there first game !😳

AND the biggest list’ll be ‘I will be sniper am bestas ! ‘ 🤦‍♂️

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Don't buy anything yet play some games and then buy what others have said suit your game. I played 6 months CQB with primary, high cap mag and a hoodie and cargo pants wolly hat and safety gear.that's it.

At 7 months I added a battle belt and secondary and a mag holder for 2 mags and dump pouch.

I've just started playing outdoors do now have spent on my first plate carrier setup (longer games more mags needed) which I have also started to wear indoors as well, as it had a little more protection to the front (no plate on the back and stops my mrs from moaning at all the hit marks on my body lol Also spent on Cammo gear for outdoors. Still play CQB in hoodie and cargos.

One piece of advice I would give is buy the best you can afford I bough a cheep belt and it lasted 2 games got sick to death of it coming loose and my pistol ending up round my bloody knees.

53912518_1273419906129308_7460848201675833344_o.jpg

6 hours ago, Druid799 said:

😳

AND the biggest list’ll be ‘I will be sniper am bestas ! ‘ 🤦‍♂️

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Druid I can tell you now that I won't be a sniper lol my aim is probably shocking and my patience well... 😂 

Cheers for the advice guys :) will be looking at mad mamas soon hopefully to arrange first day :)

• Supporters
37 minutes ago, DaddyM said:

Druid I can tell you now that I won't be a sniper lol my aim is probably shocking and my patience well... 😂 

And these two very comments reiterate how new you are to the past time ! 😱

Because my friend when you do go for the first time what you’ll see is 99.999999999999999999% of all the players with sniper rifles immaterial of wether there just carrying a sniper or even wearing a full gillie suit , they’ll be running around the field taking pot shots left right and centre and barely one of them will be sitting still and trying to remain invisible and taking those special one off shots like a snipers supposed too ! 🤦‍♂️

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's absolutely right. Most just run around doing just what you said. Total opposite to what they should be doing really.

Personally I really like to just plot up and wait for a human Buck to wander out and take a shot when the shot is right. And if it's not right I'll just let it wander off in search of a human Bambi.

I love the look on people when they just have no idea where the shot came from. Even when they look right at you and still don't register the human. I don't wear a leafsuit or anything, well I do wear something of course - mostly flecktarn but hardly move at all. I almost give myself away chuckling sometimes. :lol:

• Supporters

Don’t get me wrong don’t mind at all if that’s how they want to play then fill ya boots ! Just makes me chuckle when you see a gaggle of S’ofters hooning across the site and there’s some bloke in a Wookiee suit carrying a puke green L96 in the middle of them ! 😳

🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Druid799 said:

And these two very comments reiterate how new you are to the past time ! 😱

Because my friend when you do go for the first time what you’ll see is 99.999999999999999999% of all the players with sniper rifles immaterial of wether there just carrying a sniper or even wearing a full gillie suit , they’ll be running around the field taking pot shots left right and centre and barely one of them will be sitting still and trying to remain invisible and taking those special one off shots like a snipers supposed too ! 🤦‍♂️

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Druid I see no point in this 😂 a single shot rifle that is likely to miss if your pop shotting compared to a semi 😉 or full auto which has much higher chance of hitting correct me if I'm wrong but is this not common sense and yeah I agree your own style is your own style lol

• Supporters

A well set up sniper ‘type’ gun with the right ammo will be tagging players waaaaaaay beyond the range of any AEG can reach BUT most players you see don’t have this , they just buy an off the shelf bolt action and instantly think there going to be tagging players in the next county ! And that boat ain’t gonna float my friend ! 

Unfortunately (for them any way) a stock gun firing bog standard ammo (over heard one young player tell his mate he’d bought .25 ammo for his sniper cos it was so much heavier than his normal ammo !🤣) ain’t gonna hit shit !  🤦‍♂️

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Unfortunately (for them any way) a stock gun firing bog standard ammo (over heard one young player tell his mate he’d bought .25 ammo for his sniper cos it was so much heavier than his normal ammo !🤣) ain’t gonna hit shit !  🤦‍♂️

meanwhile i run .3's in my polarstar because .4's are too expensive to use in a full auto gun........

On 03/03/2019 at 08:25, Prisce said:

Just described my exact set up.

yep, endless tinkering with rigs, plate carriers belts etc etc and that's where i ended up. although granted recently bought a smersh rig which has taken over my other setups, 4 mags on the left, 2 and an odin on the right, hpa bottle and water bottle in the "bum bag" (apparently it's really meant to be called a food pouch) and plenty of little pouches left over for grenades or other bits and bobs you occasionally need.

23 hours ago, DaddyM said:

a hydration pouch or water bottle is definately a good idea, you can get those backpack style bladders or the molle attatching ones can be put on the back of the likes of a h-harness which is great for having it out of the way.

protip: if you're using a bladder get some of these style of things: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-duty-Retractable-Chain-Stainless-Cable/dp/B01N0YYALJ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1551690895&sr=8-5&keywords=key+lanyard

then if you route the hose over one of your shoulders and set up the lanyard to reel it under your arm it'll keep it out of your way but still be easily accessable.

those reels can be pretty useful for other things, like hooking them onto the pins of grenades so you can pull the pin one-handed by just stretching your arm out and letting the lanyard pull the pin for you (also keeps hold of the pin for re-usable grenades)

19 hours ago, Badllama said:

Don't buy anything yet play some games and then buy what others have said suit your game. I played 6 months CQB with primary, high cap mag and a hoodie and cargo pants wolly hat and safety gear.that's it.

At 7 months I added a battle belt and secondary and a mag holder for 2 mags and dump pouch.

One piece of advice I would give is buy the best you can afford I bough a cheep belt and it lasted 2 games got sick to death of it coming loose and my pistol ending up round my bloody knees.

53912518_1273419906129308_7460848201675833344_o.jpg

Thats something I need to remember to.  I've been looking up Light Machine Guns, and Optics to go with them, all day then just watched Enemy At The Gate and then I was thinking "I want a Sniper rifle, now!" And I haven't even played a game yet, LOL.  

Its best to get some actual experience to figure out what sort of style I actually want to play or at least what my skill level will allow me to do before I buy all these pricey toys.

Agree with the others, play a couple of games to see what play style fits you the most and report back.

Just one tip (for all the new players that may be reading this thread): don't bother with plate carriers, especially if you're not particularly fit (just like the fat fuck I am). They'll be a pain to fit and they'll look horribad, other than being bulky as hell.

• Mostly Retired Moderators
22 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Honestly bud we’d need a toilet roll

To be fair this is a good bloody shout too.

Always take a bog roll with you - You never know if the site will have run out, or someone's dropped the last roll into the piss puddle around the toilet.

Pop it in your dump pouch (lol) on the way to the lav in case you need it ;)

Archived