g36c complete rebuild, is it worth it?

Ryfoolz
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Long story short I’ve managed to acquire a rather old SRC g36c from my brother, he bought it off a friend a while back and has given it to me as he says it’s crap and doesn’t work. After a quick charge of the LIPO it sounded like it was about to die, very mechanical sounding and like the motor was giving up. Looking at these brand new they were only roughly 150/200 quid but having not built an AEG before I’m wondering how difficult/how effective would it be to upgrade everything to have it running amazingly. Sort of designing a sleeper AEG that looks like crap but does 40 rps and shoots like a laser would be the dream! Does anyone have any experience in doing this and would I be completely wasting money and better off buying a cheap CYMA instead? Thanks all 😝

If its a Gen 2 or Gen 3 its certainly worth a rebuild as the gearboxes are solid. 

Just now, Asomodai said:

If its a Gen 2 or Gen 3 its certainly worth a rebuild as the gearboxes are solid. 

Stupid question but how would i find out? is it stamped onto the gearbox somewhere? :P

1 minute ago, Ryfoolz said:

Stupid question but how would i find out? is it stamped onto the gearbox somewhere? :P

Nope. There are no obvious markings, its on the box. Does the plastic feel particularly good? Possibly Nylon type plastic rather then ABS?

1 minute ago, Asomodai said:

Nope. There are no obvious markings, its on the box. Does the plastic feel particularly good? Possibly Nylon type plastic rather then ABS?

It does actually feel really nice compared to some of the cheaper guns ive held, its got some weight to it and nice and solid so maybe so?

7 minutes ago, Ryfoolz said:

It does actually feel really nice compared to some of the cheaper guns ive held, its got some weight to it and nice and solid so maybe so?

Quite possibly. Sounds like Gen 3 to me. I'd stick it and upgrade. If you want to upgrade the hop unit get the AirsoftPro one for G36 as its the only one that fits the SRC magwell (You can replace the magwell to a standard one but the AP hop unit is one of the best). 

4 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Quite possibly. Sounds like Gen 3 to me. I'd stick it and upgrade. If you want to upgrade the hop unit get the AirsoftPro one for G36 as its the only one that fits the SRC magwell (You can replace the magwell to a standard one but the AP hop unit is one of the best). 

Sounds good to me, ill keep it and gradually add bits to it and it can sit on my workbench as yet another project :P just noticed you play at Red1 Chislehurst, how do you find it? I havnt managed to get down to try it yet but its only a 10 min drive from me :D

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Ryfoolz said:

Sort of designing a sleeper AEG that looks like crap but does 40 rps and shoots like a laser would be the dream! Does anyone have any experience in doing this and would I be completely wasting money and better off buying a cheap CYMA instead? Thanks all 😝

I have done something similar to this. Built a RIF from ground up, made it look particularly basic, nothing special, but its internals are the best I could buy to produce this exact effect. It’s only sitting at 25RPS, but I rarely use auto so this is fine for me.

However, it sits at 345fps +/- 2 FPS, flies like a laser, and is super reliable.

Heres a pic to show you what I mean.

The biggest downside, building it cost me over £600. So if money is tight, would definitely not recommend it!

697DAC04-AF11-4412-AF85-968F8E0DA2A0.jpeg

3 hours ago, Prisce said:

I have done something similar to this. Built a RIF from ground up, made it look particularly basic, nothing special, but its internals are the best I could buy to produce this exact effect. It’s only sitting at 25RPS, but I rarely use auto so this is fine for me.

However, it sits at 345fps +/- 2 FPS, flies like a laser, and is super reliable.

Heres a pic to show you what I mean.

The biggest downside, building it cost me over £600. So if money is tight, would definitely not recommend it!

697DAC04-AF11-4412-AF85-968F8E0DA2A0.jpeg

That looks great, exactly the sort of project I’m looking for. I think the rps was over exaggerated 😂 25rps is perfect! Cost isnt really the motivator I’m not in a rush this can be built over the next 6 months. Have you put a mosfet in yours? 

• Supporters

Yes. Has a Gate Titan in it. The only thing I’d change if I did it again, would be to make it smaller, purely because a long barrel makes no difference to performance. My custom has a 7” outer and I think that’s too long.

2 hours ago, Prisce said:

Yes. Has a Gate Titan in it. The only thing I’d change if I did it again, would be to make it smaller, purely because a long barrel makes no difference to performance. My custom has a 7” outer and I think that’s too long.

i think all in 500 would be at the higher end of my budget for this. Plus still cant decide what bloody recoil shock TM to buy and to make matters even worse i saw the new TM MK46 mod 0 EBB which is defo on the christmas list so i might just keep working on this until i can make my mind up, theres far too much choice :D

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Ryfoolz said:

i think all in 500 would be at the higher end of my budget for this. Plus still cant decide what bloody recoil shock TM to buy and to make matters even worse i saw the new TM MK46 mod 0 EBB which is defo on the christmas list so i might just keep working on this until i can make my mind up, theres far too much choice :D

That Mk46 is looking likely to Cost £1000.... 

Your right though, hence how I ended up with 27 RIFs in 16months.

6 minutes ago, Prisce said:

That Mk46 is looking likely to Cost £1000.... 

Your right though, hence how I ended up with 27 RIFs in 16months.

I tend to hoard so i can see this becoming a hobby that becomes expensive fast, i think im up to 5 in 3 months! My next purchase i cant decide between a TM Next gen Sopmod or the TM next gen G36C. And i think the dream of screaming "SUPRESSING FIRE" is enough to warrant the cost of the MK46 for me 😂

Get a ZCI inner barrel, Prometheus purple hop rubber, SHS gear set (I used 16:1, stock is 18:1), delay chip, AOE correction, shim it properly, fit a mosfet, SHS high torque motor, rewire to take 11.1 lipo, run on 11.1v Lipo, use at least 0.25g BBs.

Then watch as people really, really do not want to be on the opposite team to you!

I bought the gen 3 SRC second hand from a friend, quite liked it until the gear set decided to fail.  Started to learn about V3 gearboxes and all the other bits for upgrading.  A lot of trial and error and about £200 later I've got a gun with excellent range and accuracy.  I also can't keep a hi-cap wound fast enough to match the rate of fire, so much so that I'm considering an electric drum mag and using it as a support gun!  Oh, and it currently sits around 320fps.  I built for range, accuracy and reliability and seem to have hit the mark.

As others have said, the gearbox is solid and the rest of the gun is pretty resilient, it's not that hard to work on and you can take it apart relative easily.

Archived