Tokyo Marui which gas?

Buddha
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello, 

I know this question has been asked many times, I have read several Q+A about this too, but I must also ask which is the best gas to run TM GBB pistols on? I can't find a definite answer many conflicting answers. 

I've read several things saying 144a only, Nuprol 2.0 and also Abbey Ultra Gas. Like everyone I don't wanna damage the gun too much, but I also wanna use it and get decent FPS from them (which I've read would be higher with stronger gas).

More precisely I am looking at the TM M9 Samurai Edge, MK23 and the High Capa 4.3. 

My understanding so far is that Nuprol 2.0 is fine to use in lower temperatures but to use 144a when it is really hot? My usual place is outdoors and I live in north Scotland where it isn't usually hot. Probably under 10-15c most of the time. My usual place is at Banchory is anyone knows there. 

So my questions are,

Firstly, what gas would be best to use for those three guns? 

Secondly, what temperature (or season) would it be somewhat safe to use suggested gas? 

Thirdly, I am liking the TM MP7 GBB also, would I treat this the same as the pistols - using the same gas? 

Thank you :) 

Zack

I use 144A in the spring and summer and ASG Ultraair in the winter (Weaker then standard green gas, but more powerful then 144A) Occasionally it will just be too cold to use either and just wont bother bringing a secondary. 

I have a TM PX4 and can highly recommend Swiss Arms Extreme Gas - link - it works very well in the RIF although does start to suffer in really low temperatures, as-in below 10 degrees. In the ranges of 10-15 it should work fine.

• Supporters

i use nuprol black in my hicapa, although in winter it still doesn't run too well.

i'll let you know if it ever explodes, but it's survived 6 months of that treatment and was a pretty old gun when i got it.

Thank you guys :) I just don't wanna spend money on decent pistols to have them break is all. 

Well I already have Nuprol 2.0 and ASG Ultraair already. So I will use these gases when it's not a warm day. And will try Abbey Predator Ultra Gas in place of the above two once they've run out. 

If I replaced the slides with a aluminium slide, would that be enough to safely use green/red gas? (Green warmer and red colder)

And would I treat the TM MP7 GBB the same?

Thank you again :) it is muchly appreciated 

35 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Thank you guys :) I just don't wanna spend money on decent pistols to have them break is all. 

Well I already have Nuprol 2.0 and ASG Ultraair already. So I will use these gases when it's not a warm day. And will try Abbey Predator Ultra Gas in place of the above two once they've run out. 

If I replaced the slides with a aluminium slide, would that be enough to safely use green/red gas? (Green warmer and red colder)

And would I treat the TM MP7 GBB the same?

Thank you again :) it is muchly appreciated 

Honestly you could use nuprol green with the plastic slide and chances are you wouldn't break the plastic slide, there is always the chance of it eventually cracking though but your more likely going to break something else like the hop unit, ambi-safeties etc.

So yes, an aluminium slide will allow you to run red or green with no fear of breaking the slide but you'll always risk breaking other parts unless you upgrade them to brass/steel.

This is a great video explaining what parts are susceptible to breaking and recommended upgrade paths...

TM mk23 mags will usually start a leak on green but it won't break the gun. But pretty much all TM gbbs even earlier models run well on green average UK temp. Only extreme high or low temperatures where you have to use alternative gasses  to compensate. Some models are more forgiving and have model specific weaknesses though.

The recommended gas, 144a, works fine on warmish days or inside when there is central heating.

When I set up a target in my house I generally use 144a.

I also have Predator Ultra or Nuprol 2.0 for when it's cold.

The later TM pistols tend to stand up to green gases better than some of the earlier ones. My M9A1 for example, weighs nearly a kilo and is built like a tank with lots of internal metal parts.  

Archived