How does my 'first' airsoft basket look?

Burny
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi fellas,

I say 'first' because I'm back after 10 years out of the game... If anyone is bored enough to check out my basket and steer me/give advice I'd very much appreciate that:

My plan is to play with this kit for a couple of months, make sure I still like the game/see if I can find some people to play with, if so and all being well I'll then demote this rifle to my 'lender' and buy something shiny. I have scoured the forum and saw lots of people recommending "the cheapest combat machine M4 you can get" as your first gun, so that's what I've gone for (good idea? Happy to spend more for better quality if deemed worth it). I haven't included eye-pro as I have ballistic glasses/goggles for shooting my 'real' guns, which I will wear to start out. In case anyone wonders the gas is to see if I can revive any of my old pistols (10+ years in a garage/loft).

I've been burnt with airsoft guns in the past, my first rifle (a Classic Army M15) stopped working after two mags and the shop played silly beggers and wouldn't fix it so has sat as a reminder of wasted money for 12 years in my cupboard - put me off the hobby for a while, being just a poor kid at the time; so reliability is more important to me than performance.

Any comments/suggestions welcome. I don't really have a budget, that doesn't mean I want to make it rain on some airsoft shop, but happy to pay for better reliability, but trying to find a happy balance.

Capture.thumb.JPG.d18b6d8a9d661f1030999ed8e95e5c7e.JPG

Cheers

Edit:

I've taken everyone's advice. Updated shopping list:

Patrol Base:

• G&G CM16 Raider-S
  • FMA RVG RIS Grip
  • G&G 120rd Midcaps x3
  • Nuprol 3300 0.25g BBs
  • Viper Face Mask
  • ASG Lens protector
  • Nuprol Green Gas
  • Bolle Sillium Glasses

Hobby King (screenshot below):

Amazon:

• AOMEKIE Red Dot Sight

Capture.thumb.JPG.7377af42c80d2d29752da40c8705be9d.JPG

Ditch the NiMH batteries, charger, the sight and sight protector. Instead buy two 7.4v Lipo batteries and a decent smart charger. 

I see gas, but no gas pistol? 

38 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Ditch the NiMH batteries, charger, the sight and sight protector. Instead buy two 7.4v Lipo batteries and a decent smart charger. 

Thanks for the advice. Is there something inherently wrong with the sight & protector I've chosen, or are you suggesting their removal in order to preserve the total cost? I'm not on a strict budget so don't mind spending a bit extra if not. I'll definitely switch up the batteries/chargers if that's the way forward, thanks!

As I mentioned in my OP, the gas is just to see if my old pistols work.

Cheers

Edit: Any suggestions on a decent smart charger? Thanks!

• Supporters

You can pick up that RDS on eBay for £10, so I'd take that off the list and save yourself £20. 

That speedloader is not worth £8 and I'd bargain you'll get one in the box with the CM16. 

Lower face pro but no eyepro? Assuming you've already got that covered? 

7 minutes ago, Gepard said:

You can pick up that RDS on eBay for £10, so I'd take that off the list and save yourself £20. 

That speedloader is not worth £8 and I'd bargain you'll get one in the box with the CM16. 

Lower face pro but no eyepro? Assuming you've already got that covered? 

Thanks, like you mention I've found then RDS elsewhere half the price and I'll scrap the speedloader. Yep got lots of eyepro from other shooting sports.

Cheers

@Burny I'd strongly recommend making sure that the eye protection you currently have is sufficient for airsoft. You only get one pair of eyes and it's not worth taking any risks, as such I'd double check.

If you've ordered the sight elsewhere I'd recommend getting a sight protector for it, although there maybe better places to pick one up from. Even though the sight is a fraction of the price, you're far better off doing what you can to avoid the glass taking a hit.

8 minutes ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

@Burny I'd strongly recommend making sure that the eye protection you currently have is sufficient for airsoft. You only get one pair of eyes and it's not worth taking any risks, as such I'd double check.

If you've ordered the sight elsewhere I'd recommend getting a sight protector for it, although there maybe better places to pick one up from. Even though the sight is a fraction of the price, you're far better off doing what you can to avoid the glass taking a hit.

Thanks for the advice, the glasses I wear for the range are made to withstand 12 gauge birdshot at 10 yards so I assume they'd be okay, but as you say best to check; something designed to withstand a large impact once may not be equally capable of withstanding small impacts repeatedly...  Just thinking as I type; I may actually just pick up a pair of airsoft glasses to stay on the cautious side. Thanks!

Yep, I'll pick up a sight protector for sure.

Cheers   

• Supporters

Have a look at Hobby King and Component shop for batteries. 

The Turnigy Nunchucks are a lot better than the Nuprol options in my opinion.

For charger, IMAX B6AC from Hobby King is best, I’d suggest a fire proof bag or something to charge the batteries in.

Otherwise, looks Ok. 

I would shop around though as the exact items you have there can be found cheaper elsewhere.

Oh, ditch the ASG ultraAir , go with standard Nuprol Green, it’s better for your pistol!

2 hours ago, Prisce said:

Have a look at Hobby King and Component shop for batteries. 

The Turnigy Nunchucks are a lot better than the Nuprol options in my opinion.

For charger, IMAX B6AC from Hobby King is best, I’d suggest a fire proof bag or something to charge the batteries in.

Otherwise, looks Ok. 

I would shop around though as the exact items you have there can be found cheaper elsewhere.

Oh, ditch the ASG ultraAir , go with standard Nuprol Green, it’s better for your pistol!

Awesome, appreciate the advice. Any clue which size works in a CM16? This one for instance?

2 hours ago, Prisce said:

How come? I've been using Ultra Air in my TMs for last 18months ISH with no problems, no venting, and feels snappy.

Is there something wrong with the gas?

• Supporters
9 hours ago, SgtTalbert said:

How come? I've been using Ultra Air in my TMs for last 18months ISH with no problems, no venting, and feels snappy.

Is there something wrong with the gas?

It’s 90% propane (green gas) and 10% butane(maintenance gas).  The butane is quite wet, if that makes sense. I found that this found its way through the mags and onto the hop rubber and barrel which killed all accuracy and reliability. 

Since then, I haven’t recommended it to anyone!

12 hours ago, Burny said:

Awesome, appreciate the advice. Any clue which size works in a CM16? This one for instance?

I use a 1450Mah in mine, no idea if that 2000mah will fit. I’ll have a measure of mine tonight and let you know.

22 hours ago, Prisce said:

IMAX B6AC from Hobby King is best, I’d suggest a fire proof bag

Just ordered both of these. Thanks for the advice!

Archived