SE Tour Review: Doomsday Airsoft (Kent) (Sorta Closed)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Site Name: Doomsday Airsoft Site

Contact details: 01375767730

Website Address: https://www.doomsdayairsoft.co.uk

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Doomsday-Airsoft-Site-1606020122800526/

Site Address: Stones Cross Road, Crockenhill, Swanley, BR88LT

My battle buddy and I popped along to Doomsday Airsoft yesterday (24/02/2019) as a random pick of ours. This is a relatively new site only being a year old, created and ran by the people who used to run the now defunct Lock And Load Airsoft store in Essex. The online reviews that we found were broadly positive. 

This is a small/medium sized woodland site sandwiched between an animal rescue sanctuary and a well used railway cutting. The woodland section was flat but with lots of small undulations, plenty of standing water and hidden puddles. It reminded us of Bush Valley in that there was little natural variation with no true open spaces and few natural corridors. There were quite a few buildings and manmade areas obstacles. Short to Medium engagement distances the order of the day here, though there are opportunities for snipers with heavy ammo that can punch through undergrowth. Entrance to the site is found via a small sign running through a dirt and then hardcore based road. 

Good:

Informal Marshalling: Hands off marshalling, though they get down and dirty if there are problems with players. They were friendly to all, informative and willing to chat. 

Food: Good burger place on site. Run by a friendly couple. Decent beef and chicken burgers, they also have some special options like rump steak burger. Sweets and pop available. Haribo given to particularly good players. Though Limited vegetarian option (Egg). Whatever food was left over at the end of the day was given away. Beers also allowed after play finishes. 

Safety Brief: Mostly informal, but went through all the salient points needed very quickly. No problems here. 

Mission briefs: They use a whiteboard to point out all the different sections and instructions for the mission about to be played. The marshals use Battlefield game modes like Rush/Domination/Conquest. I like the whiteboard and it would be nice to see other sites use something like this. 

Location: This one slipped under the radar for us and makes only the 4th current Airsoft site inside the M25 (Barely). It is accessible by public transport from central London (From Victoria to Swanley station an a 20 minute walk).

Good Value: The overall experience of the day was good for the money (£20 walk on). Food is not included, but a good price for something within the M25. 

Average: 

Playing area: As explained in the intro, the site had little natural variation, almost no open spaces, but the small water features were nice to see. Plenty of humps and undulations to lie down in and hide. We played in the winter where there was almost no greenery, but we can tell if we went in the summer it would have lots and lots of cover. We will come back here to try again when in bloom. There were a number of buildings though we would love to see a few more sniper towers dotted around. 

Clientele: All the people we spoke to were friendly and had a good laugh, seem to have a good base of regulars. This was offset by disparaging remarks made of some regular players during the day.

Chrono: A mandatory chrono was in play though no guns were marked as to whether they were chronoed or not. 

Safe Zone: Was fairly small, though suited the number of players that turned up, could probably hold up to 40-50 people quite comfortably, most tables were covered, though needs to have overhanging cover on some of the tables as it would barely keep the tables dry but soak the players next to it. 

Game modes: The first few game modes were disappointing, quite difficult objectives to achieve. Once it was clear they weren't working, things were changed up and were much better. Second half of the day was much better then the first. 

Hit taking: Personally I didn't have a problem with anyone taking hits. But there were a few complaints about some regulars not taking hits and a few early leavers. 

Bad: 

Shop: Small shop with a limited selection, one rifle for sale, two pistols, random bits of tactical gear (Though at a decent price) and usual selection of gas and bbs. 

Parking: Small parking area which was filled with rubble and hardcore, watch your tyres! Some cars were hemmed in by other cars and had to be moved to let people out. A marshal assured us that it is being upgraded though! Would be good to see when it is finished. 

Toilets: one wooden cabin, chemical toilet style. Could do with another one. 

Conclusion: 

We both enjoyed this site, especially in the second half the day. Informal and relaxed atmosphere. For a site that has only been going for a year there was nothing majorly wrong but nothing that screams a unique selling point. A bit of upgrading here and there and it will become a quality site. Compared to Red 1 Chislehurst, this has a larger playing area with better natural features, but not as good in terms of man made buildings.

It's well worth a visit for all you London based, public transport restricted folk. 

Bullpup Watch: Two, Famas and your standard L85

Doomsday.png

• Supporters

Nice review, thanks.

I'm not sure the animal sanctuary will be best pleased with pyro going off though.  I believe that's part of the reason why Nomad Woodland in Fenwick got closed, it upset the pony set.

34 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Nice review, thanks.

I'm not sure the animal sanctuary will be best pleased with pyro going off though.  I believe that's part of the reason why Nomad Woodland in Fenwick got closed, it upset the pony set.

There was a fair amount of pyro going off and a blank firing pistol for scenarios. No comments about complaints in the past. 

There is a giant earth bank that separates the site from the animal sanctuary which probably deflects a fair amount of sound. There are a lot of trains going by as well which adds to the noise. 

• 5 months later...

Hello all.

Just saw that Doomsday in Swanley will be closing down within the next month or so. Due to issues with the council, though they don't go into more then that. 

It's a shame as I had a positive view of the site when I went for the review. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all. 

Just had a quick check on the Doomsday Facebook page out of curiosity. 

Despite being officially closed, they have managed to run two additional games with the councils permission. However numbers are on the low side due to the closure. 

They are running another game in February, I do recommend people try it at least once if you don't want to travel far out of London. 

https://www.facebook.com/events/540073339928248/

Archived