First Gearbox Rebuild - parts list advice

Foolycooly
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've had an ASG Scar since I started - it was my first gun, but its fallen into disrepair since I haven't used it for a long time, and its been sat in my garage - gearbox is a V2

I came to look at getting it working again, and fixing it up - first problem I've come across is the gearbox - it locked up on first use, and in my naivety I just stripped the gearbox to see what I could find out (and yes, I suffered from first time exploding gearbox syndrome) Now that I've found all the parts that were scattered across my dining room, I started to do some investigation - the bearings seem very loose, so they are getting replaced, but also the shell wasn't holding the bearings in place, so I'm thinking I may need a new casing as well? The gears seem in good condition - but no idea on the speed of them (it did have a nice ROF when it worked though) - they are XYT, which I've read up on, are quite common, but regarded as quite strong - so I'll probably keep them.

Piston seems good - no air leak when I block the nozzle and try and compress, and no broken gears.

So far then, it looks like;

Bearings / Bushings set + new shims

Possibly new case

Am I missing anything that I should check out / rectify while I'm dismantling this lot?

If it's been sat around, check the contacts on the trigger that they haven't oxidised. Otherwise if you haven't lost any of the tiny springs then you should be in good shape.

My first gearbox split was a nightmare, could not get the reverse latch and trigger spring to stay put while trying to put the thing back together.

I had the same problem last night, ended up swearing at it a lot, and putting it all away - watched a few more videos today on gearbox maintenance, and ended up glueing in the old bushings - even managed to get the bloody thing working! - typically this happened AFTER I'd placed my order for parts, but hey ho, new gearbox inbound, and now I know I can strip and rebuild from scratch!

Hopefully all going back together at the weekend ahead of a game in 2 weeks time!

• Supporters

Depends how far you want to go. 

You could radius the gear box,(for future if you want to up the Rof etc), correct your AOE and install a mosfet.

How old is the RIF?   

Archived