Stripping anodisation from aluminium

Seven
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Well smack my ass and call me daddy, caustic soda is da shit!

Supplier was out of stock of the silver slide I wanted so ordered the black one with the intention of stripping the anodisation back to the original silver aluminium.

Little bit of research, little bit of prep and safety and viola!

One very clean slide!

Now the polishing to a mirror finish begins...

20190223_100609.thumb.jpg.a5a7b9902b7761ae08a234e255762ecf.jpg20190223_103103.thumb.jpg.d47fe488ddbf6edee7cba524f1b7f727.jpg

Only took about 15 minutes too!

I used to use the caustic soda for bike parts that I want to change colour on....

I found that leaving it in a bit too long created a satin black finish that was a bugger to  remove , but replicated a DLC sort of finish.

Worth trying on those tired looking parts , though it would I'm sure eventually cause damage to the metal , so its a practice makes perfect with the timing situation (my disclaimer!) 😉

12 minutes ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

I used to use the caustic soda for bike parts that I want to change colour on....

I found that leaving it in a bit too long created a satin black finish that was a bugger to  remove , but replicated a DLC sort of finish.

Worth trying on those tired looking parts , though it would I'm sure eventually cause damage to the metal , so its a practice makes perfect with the timing situation (my disclaimer!) 😉

Totally. Research is key.

I've heard stories of people making the solution very strong and in the space of an hour the aluminium part has literally dissolved... Nothing but particles of metal in water, hahahaha.

I'm not that stupid.

Start weak and get stronger if it's taking too long and NEVER leave it unattended. Easy as pie and no damage.

PS. The satin black finish you refer to is called smut. Easily removed but at that point it has started attacking the metal and not just the very thin oxidised layer. Basically burnt metal.

11 hours ago, StayOnTarget said:

Bloody excellent job DADDY (the smacked bum will have to wait though)😜

Thanks dude!

Here is after the first polishing pass...

20190224_011403.jpg

20190224_011354.jpg

17 minutes ago, StayOnTarget said:

That is close to art well done just stunning 

Cheers dude! I do try!

Not bad for a first pistol... And first Airsoft weapon...

Will be much better when it's fully finished. You can expect pictures! lol

20 hours ago, Seven said:

Cheers dude! I do try!

Not bad for a first pistol... And first Airsoft weapon...

Will be much better when it's fully finished. You can expect pictures! lol

First pistol!!! Bloody hell flash as fuck mate and your first RIF please tell me you're not another one of those maniacs that run all over the place scaring the shit out of us older folk 😜

32 minutes ago, StayOnTarget said:

please tell me you're not another one of those maniacs that run all over the place scaring the shit out of us older folk 😜

Depends on the situation... but yes... im aggressive pistol only 😛

edit: but im not exactly a spring chicken myself, lol

Archived