New Loadout Assistance - Rig/Vest Versus Molle Belt

Philby21
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I've had an idea for a civilian/plainclothes type of loadout bouncing around in my head for a while and I've been shopping around for the various bits (plain t-shirt, baseball cap, hiking style jacket, tactical pants etc) and I'm struggling to figure out what my best option is for lugging around mags etc.

Bit of background: used to be a big fan of a US TV series called The Last Ship, it's the show that really made me fall in love with the SOPMOD (TM one on my shopping list too).  One of the main characters, Tex, was referred to as a "civilian contractor" and hence was always in civvies rather than the slightly odd (in my opinion) dark blue camo the majority of the rest of the characters were always wearing, so basically I'm trying to go for something along those lines.  In the interests of full disclosure: I look nothing like the actor (John Pyper-Ferguson), I'm a lot shorter, slightly younger (only by 8 years!), don't have a beard, my hair is longer and absolutely no f-ing way am I in anywhere near as good shape!! 🤣

So, I'm wanting to carry 3/4 M4 mags, plus a couple of Hi-Capa pistol mags, run a belt mounted locking type holster and be as light weight and flexible upper body wise as possible.

Current choices seem to be something like this Low Profile Belt, or this Harness Combo with some Rifle Mag Pouches and Pistol Pouches, plus maybe something to hold a few flash bangs.

Has anyone got/used any of these and can comment on how light/manoeuvrable they are?  When they've got pouches mounted on them do they get in the way or dig in to odd places in a crouched position?

Also open to any suggestions of alternatives?  Particularly not in any camo pattern though.

Bonus question - has anyone used the Warrior Quick Mag Pouches?  Do they hold mags tightly, especially pistol mags?  Only ask as I lost a CO2 mag on a night game once - about 2 hours after I'd bought the bloody thing!

Cheers gang,

Phil

• Supporters

Are you using the uk tactical items as examples or is it the only place you’ve looked ? 

Just there’s a shitload more retailers out there that’ll do similar kit for a lot less ! 

From the only decent pic I found the guy is using a tan RRV with a folded flap and a battle belt filled with HSGI tacos.

I would use a similar loadout, except I'd keep all my mags bar one (and the pistol mags) on the chest.

Suspenders aren't really needed unless you're carrying 30 mags, 2 litres of water and your dog on the belt.

21 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Are you using the uk tactical items as examples or is it the only place you’ve looked ? 

Just there’s a shitload more retailers out there that’ll do similar kit for a lot less ! 

Pretty much just as examples, most of my current gear was considerably cheaper!  But I'll basically spend what I need to get the right set up, if that's £100+ then fine, if it's <£50 then even better! 😁

20 hours ago, Skara said:

From the only decent pic I found the guy is using a tan RRV with a folded flap and a battle belt filled with HSGI tacos.

I was thinking more of this pic to be honest (or this for a different angle), I'm aiming to carry as little as possible - and no dog! 🤣

That belt is sagging like crazy!

Well, go for it, but try to get a belt that's rigid and actually carries the weight rather than having saggy pouches flopping around.

• Supporters

as Skara has pointed out, the belt rig is hanging like a sack of shite, will prob flap around the minute you try to even jog, ejecting mags in the process.

there's going to be a certain amount of trial & error with what works for you, as a young squaddie I ran a standalone belt rig for some exercises with a lot of success, but as an older/heavier man now it doesn't work for me, so essentially body shape can make a big difference in what works well & comfortably in use, its all very well for actors standing around looking pretty, but every shot lasting 10 seconds prob takes hours to put together, with all the relevant adjustments to make it work, hardly ideal for basing a functional loadout on.

do you know anybody at your sites that could loan you a belt rig for a few hours of play ?, maybe better than spunking a ton on something that you can't get on with ?.

good luck mate.

3 hours ago, Tackle said:

as Skara has pointed out, the belt rig is hanging like a sack of shite, will prob flap around the minute you try to even jog, ejecting mags in the process.

Yeah, I spotted it was hanging badly, it's one of the reasons why I was looking at the Warrior low profile as that has a velcro inner belt that goes through trouser loops and then the carrier belt part attaches to that - which should help keep it a lot more stable.  It's also why I'd taken a look at the harness combo as that's more of a padded belt (without the velcro inner) with harness to help keep it from slipping / more stable.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone at my local site who runs a belt rig.  I think I'm basically looking for something flexible, that doesn't feel like I'm carrying a plank on my chest 🙂

• Supporters

You state a key goal as keeping weight on the body to the minimum possible with the maximum flexibility and when it comes down to it the best way of achieving that is to not run any sort of vest/PC/chest rig.  3-4 rifle mags, 2 pistol mags and a holster is also more than easily carried on just a belt and you've got no need for padding and a yoke/harness with that little weight on you, which means the type of belt making use of a velcro inner is your best option.  Fact is the belt has essentially always been the best method of carrying equipment throughout history, the best competitive shooters who are vying for massive prizes, have tried ALL the options and settled on the most efficient one all go for belts.  Even in the modern era of body armour with pouches you'll still see extensive use of belt rigs under the armour in the military because it simply makes sense.

The 'low profile' belt from Warrior is just a copy of the Crye MRB, brilliant option frankly, the MRB design is one of the best proven on the planet with all sorts of blurry-face guys.  I'm an advocate of warrior kit since it'll last longer than you play, never let you down and retain much better resale value/resale potential than cheaper gear if you do change your mind.  There's also FRV tailoring who make slimmer 2-part belts in the UK as depicted below, still high quality but cheaper than most other equivalents that are available here.  Best design there is for a light loadout I think.

-FvZseH-KtI93XfUK3uek28A04AFnhom_q1PygOT

Cheers for the advice, the low profile belt option seemed like it might be the best solution but wanted to get some feedback on if I was heading along the right lines. 👍

I’ve I wanna run light then I’ll use this set up.... 

crye MRB and Haley strategic DC3RX....

Also in the picture is an assault 30 and my helmet set up but ignore that!😂

image.jpg

19 hours ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

I’ve I wanna run light then I’ll use this set up.... 

crye MRB and Haley strategic DC3RX....

Ooh, the DC3CRX looks an interesting bit of kit - or it did until I saw the price!! 😱

What's the holster you're using on the belt??

22 minutes ago, Philby21 said:

Ooh, the DC3CRX looks an interesting bit of kit - or it did until I saw the price!! 😱

What's the holster you're using on the belt??

I really like it! TMC make an excellent replica!

Teammate gave it to me but it's some sort of safariland replica mounted on a QLS mount. 

Archived