HK417

Vulpiness
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My BB BBY arrived. 

But she doesn't go on safe while the bolts closed, and I can't tell if this is a flaw or a feature. XD 

Anyone got any incsight?

Also any idea where I can get a longer barrel? and if I can just drop it in? 

• Supporters

AR variants (which the 416 and 417 are) will often not go to Safe without the hammer being cocked, but if you've cocked the gun and the bolt is closed then it should go to Safe.

Presumably it's a GBBR?  'Drop in' is definitely now how I'd describe changing the inner/outer barrels, fair amount of tools required and the barrel nut probably requires something extremely specific.  

2 hours ago, Guyver1 said:

Welcome to the 417 club 👍

Your arms will get used to carrying it ...eventually 😜

Which make is it ?

VFC so it'll need new springs and bolts. But it's the cutest.

Is there a bayonet that fits the D soemwhere? 

32 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

AR variants (which the 416 and 417 are) will often not go to Safe without the hammer being cocked, but if you've cocked the gun and the bolt is closed then it should go to Safe.

Presumably it's a GBBR?  'Drop in' is definitely now how I'd describe changing the inner/outer barrels, fair amount of tools required and the barrel nut probably requires something extremely specific.  

I mutually found some for Z parts. Imma probably get more of them so. 

and cool I suspected it might be because it was so weird, it does go on safe when cocked or locked back, but y'know the Hellenistic post was battering it so wasn't sure.  Cheers

Roll on Q2 so I can be ukara'd again. My last gun of the year. :'( 

A 417 is many things, not sure i would describe it as "cute" ...but to each their own.

My TM-417.  Not cute and bloody heavy, you might want to have a think about a longer barrel as it will add more weight out the front

417.jpg

JPEG_20190221_161301.jpg?width=900&heigh
Question is the bolt not meant to lock back after it's run dry? Mine isn't. :/

Not unless its a gas blow back.

If it requires batteries then it won't stop when the mag is empty. (VFC don't do bolt stop on AEG..AFAIK )

2 minutes ago, Guyver1 said:

Not unless its a gas blow back.

If it requires batteries then it won't stop when the mag is empty. (VFC don't do bolt stop on AEG..AFAIK )

It is GBB tho. XD 

It also isn't picking up BBs unless I rack the bolt, i think it's the mag spring maybe. 

Could just be mags need a little bedding in or maybe a "wipe" of silicon (don't be spurting silicon oil everywhere) on the BB follower and working it up and down a few times with no BBs in the mag.

TBH only have a couple of gas pistols  so can't be very much help i am afraid.

It is brand new and not playing nice. I would be tempted to get the shop you bought it from involved rather than trying to fix it yourself.

I only bought it from Greece so. XD

I've messaged them requesting a new mag. 

What do you mean by bedding? 

"Bedding in "   in your case means that new magazines can be a bit stiff.  Especially the BB follower ( the bit that has the spring at the bottom of it and pushes the BBS up).

I have found this on a few of my Gas Pistol mags,

To cure this i put a little spot of Silicon oil on the follower and worked it up and down with my thumb. ( <insert euphemism of your choice>) This seems to helps the follower slide more smoothly.

The principle is the same for Gas and AEG mags, but in practice it is more difficult, as pistol mags have the follower open, where as AEG/GBB mags the follower is in the casing.

It may be easier to put a blob of silicon oil on the top of the follower (not too much) of your mags and fill with BBS then empty manually, do this a few times to allow the oil to work its way around the follower and its track.

I wouldn't empty the mags with your rifle as it will drag all sorts of crap from the BBS on to the bucking and barrel. Use the little switch on the top of your mags to empty them, be aware BBs will fly out so point the mag down in to a bag or bucket to catch them.

image.png.51c3beae8516af0e4278f643fba66372.png

Not sure If i have explained this properly or my approach is valid.

Sure others with more experience will step in to correct any or all of the above.

VFC 417’s often suffered from bolt bounce. When you fire, it would pick up a BB, slam forward to load it, bounce back a touch and try to load a second. A stronger recoil spring, heavier buffer can help with this. 

With the bolt lock, press it down manually and fire. If it locks then, you might need to shim it slightly so it engages.

41 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

VFC 417’s often suffered from bolt bounce. When you fire, it would pick up a BB, slam forward to load it, bounce back a touch and try to load a second. A stronger recoil spring, heavier buffer can help with this. 

With the bolt lock, press it down manually and fire. If it locks then, you might need to shim it slightly so it engages.

It's nto double feeding, which is a shame as that's a problem I know how to fix. 

Sometimes it locks sometime it doesn't. It's werid.

It'll lock back when racked, sometimes on semi, but never on full auto. 

I'll try it again later once the mag warms up, maybe it needs to shoot the last BB to lock back? IDK. didn't try that on full auto. 

58 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

press it down? how do you mean? you mean the bolt release or the internal catch? 

A friend has the G28 version of this, I seem to remember him saying when he was researching it that the mid-caps are a bit pants and he runs his only on high caps and it was caused by the mag spring. I think he tried running the midcap and had loads of feeding issues which rectified with using a high cap. I think there was a fix of replacing the spring for something stronger but time&effort was worth more than buying new mags.

It shouldn’t lock back at all if there’s BB’s in the mag. Full auto or otherwise, unless the rack it while pressing the bolt catch to manually do it. 

Theres only two reasons for it to lock back. On an empty mag where the follower of the mag engages the bolt catch or if you manually press the bolt catch (at the base, not the paddle) and cycle the action 

14 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

It shouldn’t lock back at all if there’s BB’s in the mag. Full auto or otherwise, unless the rack it while pressing the bolt catch to manually do it. 

Theres only two reasons for it to lock back. On an empty mag where the follower of the mag engages the bolt catch or if you manually press the bolt catch (at the base, not the paddle) and cycle the action 

No, but it's a string activated thing, so having the last bb leave the mag might have done something.

On an empty mag with gas, holding ether the mag catch, or bolt catch as you described does nothing and it only works intermittently and never on full auto. 

Think it might be a spring issue? recoil spring too weak to push the bolt back, buffer too strong?

I wedged the follower, when it's wedged it won't even fit in the gun.

Of course the mag spring might jsut be pissing about and too weak to take th eimpact of the bolt. 

Archived