Element Silent Piston Head & Cylinder Set

Swampysteve
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Has anyone used or had experience with the Element Silent Piston Head & Cylinder set?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Element-Silent-Piston-Head-Cylinder/dp/B01N7RKBBH?th=1&psc=1

Been looking at ways to run a quieter AEG and came across this and a video on YouTube.

Are they any good? Worth the £15 punt?

Cheers

61FuaMKaRbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yup fantastic headset.

I use one of the sets in an AUG. And compared to the metal SHS set there is no comparison, the Element is lighter and quieter.

23 minutes ago, Iceni said:

Yup fantastic headset.

I use one of the sets in an AUG. And compared to the metal SHS set there is no comparison, the Element is lighter and quieter.

Cheers @Iceni set ordered!!!

May get a sorbo pad in there too whilst it's opened up.

You probably won't need the sorbo.

Fit it and have a look at the AOE first, Silent heads tend to push the piston back slightly and have reasonable AOE out of the box. Adding a big sorbo pad might push it into the realm of over corrected.

If you are going for a silent build what other modifications are you doing?

The AUG I have with that headset is set up to be quiet. I can shoot it in the house and it can't be heard downstairs. On the battlefield, you can fire full auto and it's extremely hard to pick it out unless you are right on top of me.

The components that went into the gearbox were picked to avoid and disrupt as much noise as possible.

Single tooth plastic piston.
Brass spring guide. Single plastic spacer, no bearing. (mines a deepfire). Use the bearing on the piston head.
Greased mainspring.
Shimmed with brass shims and greased with really soft moly grease.
Full brass cylinder.

Stainless bushings.

The idea behind the build was simple enough. Use as many different materials, and get them as thick and solid as possible. Nothing should rattle or act like a tuning fork. You'll never get the gearbox silent, but you can dull the higher sounds using as much mass as possible so any vibration to sound is a lower note. Low frequency travels further, but it does so with far less energy and is far harder to pick out over background noise.

The mass of the piston head should be watched however. If it's a heavy head they have a tendency to clack. Lighter heads like the element ones have more of a wet thud, and that in combination with the extra gearbox mass is where the sound reduction is made.

A cheap foam filled moderator is also beneficial as it will disrupt the noise coming out of the barrel. A cheap unit with the spring and foam at about 100mm is more than enough to have a significant effect.

Wow, pretty comprehensive appreciate the time your giving me/the thread @Iceni

So apart from the new headset (and potential sorbo but looking unlikely now) I hadn't really thoughtt past that in terms of other physical mods. I have a foam filled suppressor which when compared to on/off makes the square route of f@&k all difference in sound so it stays on more for looks. 

My build is a DMR so just want to take the gear whine and 'thud' down a step. So when it's opened up will look at the obvious shimming, greasing etc and from what I have heard that can make a huge difference too.

It will more than likely be a trial and error thing and like you say....it's and AEG....it's never going to be silent but can be quieter than out the box.

Archived