Could this show airsoft in a bad light?

LordRonin
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, Vulpiness said:

The problem with the cheesewright, is you supply absolutely no information what so ever, all we get is take it form me and an as unsubstantiated claim as seths, which since I've never met you, I'm not willing to take on trust, you could be 12 for all I know. 

No he is serving military and the reason he knows is because this is his area of expertise and what he gets paid for.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

No he is serving military and the reason he knows is because this is his area of expertise and what he gets paid for.

So he says. Maybe he is. Maybe not.

I don't know him, I don't know you, as much I would like to, and i would like to. 

Do I'm gonna need a little more than trust me, I want to benefit for his expertise but he's keeping stumm.

And what he is telling me, is conflicting with my understanding, and the historical accounts I have read. Which would be incredibly valuable information. 

Our potentially learned friend here warned me about the danger of second hand experience. But he doesn't seem to be supplying anything that can be judged on it's merits. 

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Vulpiness said:

I don't know him, I don't know you, as much I would like to, and i would like to. 

Do I'm gonna need a little more than trust me, I want to benefit for his expertise but he's keeping stumm.

And what he is telling me, is conflicting with my understanding, and the historical accounts I have read. Which would be incredibly valuable information. 

Our potentially learned friend here warned me about the danger of second hand experience. But he doesn't seem to be supplying anything that can be judged on it's merits. 

I and others have met him in person and he isn't the sort to talk shite. Absolutely no blowhard crap more self deprecating to be honest. 

Nice guy and I would trust what he says without hesitation.

6 minutes ago, Vulpiness said:

If you had been a member here for longer and read a lot of jcheeseright's posts then you would know from them he knows exactly what he's talking about. There's over 4,000 of them to sift through on many subjects. Even if he wasn't actively serving you would know he still knows "exactly" what he's talking about. Go have a read and you may not be so quick to judge.

1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

I and others have met him in person and he isn't the sort to talk shite. Absolutely no blowhard crap more self deprecating to be honest. 

Nice guy and I would trust what he says without hesitation.

1 minute ago, Immortal said:

If you had been a member here for longer and read a lot of jcheeseright's posts then you would know from them he knows exactly what he's talking about. There's over 4,000 of them to sift through on many subjects. Even if he wasn't actively serving you would know he still knows "exactly" what he's talking about. Go have a read and you may not be so quick to judge.

The problem is, I don't know you either Trigger. 

I'm sure he is of fine character, and knows his stuff, I'm sure I'd find many fine posts on many subjects, but that doesn't mean he mightn't be mistaken about this one, no-one is infallible. 

But I am not going throw out 3 entire books worth of material on the subject of "amphibious" campaigning, unless he's going to give me more to worth with than "trust me".

Cheesewright, your information would be very valuable, please supply it. 

• Mostly Retired Moderators

+1 for Cheese. I've met him in real life. He's the real deal. 

Anyway, this thread has covered a veritable rainbow of subjects. I'd suggest getting back on topic... But I'm not even sure what the topic is anymore.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, SgtTalbert said:

Can you trust someone who takes a selfie with a Lama?!

About as much as you can trust anyone vain enough to take a selfie. *shudder*

He knows about ASW, fine, but we were talking about the bigger picture.

There was no question of his credentials, at least from me.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

He knows about ASW, fine, but we were talking about the bigger picture.

There was no question of his credentials, at least from me.

That’s where your wrong. This is an Airsoft forum, we talk about a very niche subject, which is literally the opposite of big picture.

4 minutes ago, Prisce said:

That’s where you're wrong. This is an Airsoft forum, we talk about a very niche subject, which is literally the opposite of big picture.

Yes, but it was brought up. People say I don't answer questions.

So do we talk about ASW or not?

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

Yes, but it was brought up. People say I don't answer questions.

So do we talk about ASW or not?

That’s totally down to @jcheeseright.

Hes tried talking about it and people are not listening. If I were him, I wouldn’t want to talk about it anymore, there’s only so many brick walls a man can talk to before giving up.

1 hour ago, L3wisD said:

. I'd suggest getting back on topic... But I'm not even sure what the topic is anymore.

Something about YouTubers and balloons and submarines or something?? 

2 minutes ago, Prisce said:

That’s totally down to @jcheeseright.

Hes tried talking about it and people are not listening. If I were him, I wouldn’t want to talk about it anymore, there’s only so many brick walls a man can talk to before giving up.

It's like saying a truck has got nothing to do with retail, but we're talking about delivering shopping.

Neither party is wrong when the context is provided.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, E21A said:

Something about YouTubers and balloons and submarines or something?? 

i think if we attatch balloons to nuclear submarines then get a bunch of youtubers to shoot them with airsoft guns it'll make the hobby look bad because kickingmustang will be there firing guided nuprol bb's at people wearing mesh glasses

On 22/02/2019 at 14:13, E21A said:

Dont think so, unlike you and other members here I actually know the bloke, and he’s a decent guy. 

Maybe, but he comes across as a complete c*nt

1 minute ago, E21A said:

Most people do on the internet 

Just look at me

And as for ASW, strategically it does overlap with a land campaign.  However, on a tactical level it clearly does not.  As for my bona fides my Vulipness, I am a currently serving RAF Military Police  Officer whose current posting just happens to involve a major project which has all of the tactical data links that Chesseright mentioned. 

If you don't understand the difference between Tactical, Operational and Strategic levels of warfare may I suggest a quick trip to Staff College?

Its going to get lost in the noise but a comment from a pal the other day is very much on topic:

A mate of mine wants to play airsoft and wants to use different guns and not be stuck with a crappy rental so asked me to take him along with a selection of guns he can use. He done a little "research" on you tube and basically said, "theres a lot of cheating in Airsoft isnt there"? 

So to answer the original question, yes. The you tuber battle royal could be bad for airsoft, but its not going to be any worse than what is already out there...  As previously mentioned it could open up a new wave of players who think it looks cool or whatever so the answer to the original question is also no.

So to answer your question, yes and no!!  

Hope this helps :D  

59 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

And as for ASW, strategically it does overlap with a land campaign.  However, on a tactical level it clearly does not.  As for my bona fides my Vulipness, I am a currently serving RAF Military Police  Officer whose current posting just happens to involve a major project which has all of the tactical data links that Chesseright mentioned. 

If you don't understand the difference between Tactical, Operational and Strategic levels of warfare may I suggest a quick trip to Staff College?

operational isn't the same as strategic? O.o well I feel dumb. 
I'd love a trip to staff collage, but sadly the NHS won't give me any fucking estrogen, and hasn't for the last 5 years so I'm stuck on civvy street. :/

1 hour ago, EvilMonkee said:

my Vulipness

*Swoons* 

• Supporters
On 23/02/2019 at 15:16, Vulpiness said:

The problem with the cheesewright, is you supply absolutely no information what so ever, all we get is take it form me and an as unsubstantiated claim as seths, which since I've never met you, I'm not willing to take on trust, you could be 12 for all I know. 

I'm asking you to explain, and I supplied my thoughts on the subject for you point out flaws with.

I am willing to be convinced, but you put no points fourth, you're the expert, so lets hear it. 

Perhaps a historic example: battle of the Atlantic, allied supplied ships are being harassed and sunk by German u-boats, these ships carry vital food and weapons needed for the land campaign in North Africa.. 

Ergo -to my mind-  the lack of effectiveness of anti-submarine marine warfare at the time, contributed to the problems and challenges present in the land campaign.

I'm not seeing how that's not the two overlapping. 

There's no W in my name. 

What you're talking about is how submarines can have an effect upon the greater logistics of warfare, if you're going down that line Seth K needs to start simulating macroeconomics and poor defence policy too!  When it comes to actually fighting those battles the pre-logistics are utterly irrelevant, you either have the requisite equipment or you do not.  

Submarines can effect shipping and suchlike very effectively, but this still does not have any impact on how the specifics of anti-submarine warfare are conducted (SONAR doesn't 'ping' anymore and depth charges haven't been a thing for destroying submarines for a few decades now, though they do still have uses in some very specific scenarios).  

I can see where you're coming from, but the allocation of resources to finding and killing a submarine don't cross over with the resources required to fight a land battle, in addition the submarine itself cannot have any tangible effect on the land battle (submarine launched missiles are a thing, yes, but the second it breaks the surface that's an AIR threat, not a submarine threat). 

My credentials on this are as mentioned above, I have spent many years teaching basic and advanced anti submarine warfare for the Royal Navy in my capacity as an instructor at the Royal Navy School of Aircraft Control at RNAS Yeovilton, the Maritime Warfare School at HMS Collingwood and during a short stint at Flag Officer Sea Training at HMS Drake.  I've hunted Russian submarines in the North Sea, English Channel, Mediterranean and Atlantic and I've hunted Chinese submarines across the Indian Ocean. 

As for what kind of work SethK thinks he's going to be bidding for I have no idea, giant exercises with air/land/sea interoperability happen at least twice a year in the UK with massive take up from other NATO nations and the infrastructure required to plan and direct those exercises already exists.  As far as simulation goes BAE have us covered with a network of multifunction simulator suites that can be networked with each other and with real units, the MOD spent literally millions of pounds on these and I can't imagine a bloke with a shiny website and some Youtube links being able to convince the MOD that some airsoft guns are going to add anything to the party!

On 23/02/2019 at 16:20, SgtTalbert said:

Can you trust someone who takes a selfie with a Lama?!

It's an alpaca you bigot!

On 23/02/2019 at 20:46, EvilMonkee said:

Maybe, but he comes across as a complete c*nt

I don't mince my words to be 'nice' to people on the internet, if that makes me a cunt, then I am a cunt. 

41 minutes ago, jcheeseright said:

There's no W in my name. 

What you're talking about is how submarines can have an effect upon the greater logistics of warfare, if you're going down that line Seth K needs to start simulating macroeconomics and poor defence policy too!  When it comes to actually fighting those battles the pre-logistics are utterly irrelevant, you either have the requisite equipment or you do not.  

Submarines can effect shipping and suchlike very effectively, but this still does not have any impact on how the specifics of anti-submarine warfare are conducted (SONAR doesn't 'ping' anymore and depth charges haven't been a thing for destroying submarines for a few decades now, though they do still have uses in some very specific scenarios).  

I can see where you're coming from, but the allocation of resources to finding and killing a submarine don't cross over with the resources required to fight a land battle, in addition the submarine itself cannot have any tangible effect on the land battle (submarine launched missiles are a thing, yes, but the second it breaks the surface that's an AIR threat, not a submarine threat). 

My credentials on this are as mentioned above, I have spent many years teaching basic and advanced anti submarine warfare for the Royal Navy in my capacity as an instructor at the Royal Navy School of Aircraft Control at RNAS Yeovilton, the Maritime Warfare School at HMS Collingwood and during a short stint at Flag Officer Sea Training at HMS Drake.  I've hunted Russian submarines in the North Sea, English Channel, Mediterranean and Atlantic and I've hunted Chinese submarines across the Indian Ocean. 

As for what kind of work SethK thinks he's going to be bidding for I have no idea, giant exercises with air/land/sea interoperability happen at least twice a year in the UK with massive take up from other NATO nations and the infrastructure required to plan and direct those exercises already exists.  As far as simulation goes BAE have us covered with a network of multifunction simulator suites that can be networked with each other and with real units, the MOD spent literally millions of pounds on these and I can't imagine a bloke with a shiny website and some Youtube links being able to convince the MOD that some airsoft guns are going to add anything to the party!

It's an alpaca you bigot!

I don't mince my words to be 'nice' to people on the internet, if that makes me a cunt, then I am a cunt. 

They all look the same to me!

Also I don't think he was calling you a cunt, more the guy who was trolling Trigger.

I miss Yeovilton, did 3yrs Stewarding there in the officers mess (Civvy role whilst at College). Also did (forget the name) but the 'Officer Introduction' weekend. Escaping the helicopter in the pool was a good laugh 

Archived