Rifle fettling, testing zeroing etc

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My garden is 40m from top back door to end of the garden so generally use that for testing, my friend has a 50m old grain shed on his farm so any zero'ing is done there as he has his air rifle range in there also so majority of the time we can make a day of it. Then we get the 12g's out and hammer some clays :)

One of the sites I frequent will let people use the place out of hours (for a small fee but I've never needed to) otherwise I settle for either at the start of a game day or at home. If it's at the start of a game day and my bread and butter site then I'll miss the first part of the game if need be or get there much earlier than the usual start. But that rarely happens as it doesn't take long to tune the hop or scope. If I find it's a little out after I'll just do it in a game even if it means backing off and shooting in the opposite direction.

where are you based? Looking at your sites the stan is not a stretch for you. Indoor factory floors a good 100m long

• Supporters

guess i'm lucky that i know a bunch of people with various fields/ranges to go test at.

although generally it's nothing more than does it work, does it hop well enough and does the sight vaguely line up with the bb's.

32 minutes ago, heroshark said:

where are you based? Looking at your sites the stan is not a stretch for you. Indoor factory floors a good 100m long

I'm about 40 miles from Sheffield. Do they let people use it outside game days do you know?

Might as well go to a game day and either go early or stay late (later in the year when you have the light). if you don't fancy playing I'm sure you could arrange something with them. when I last went they didn't use the whole site all at once and I think iirc some of the upper floors they don't use are fairly long and clear.

8 minutes ago, heroshark said:

Might as well go to a game day and either go early or stay late (later in the year when you have the light). if you don't fancy playing I'm sure you could arrange something with them. when I last went they didn't use the whole site all at once and I think iirc some of the upper floors they don't use are fairly long and clear.

I'm going to sound really grumpy when I say this, but it's not meant that way.
I appreciate help a great deal.
However, when I have tried to set up other rifles at sites, I end up with so much "help" my brain starts to implode.. When all I want is to be left to F about with the gun until I have it doing what I want.
Do you know if The Stan lets people use that area for setting up rifs?

51 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I'm going to sound really grumpy when I say this, but it's not meant that way.
I appreciate help a great deal.
However, when I have tried to set up other rifles at sites, I end up with so much "help" my brain starts to implode.. When all I want is to be left to F about with the gun until I have it doing what I want.
Do you know if The Stan lets people use that area for setting up rifs?

Worth going on a game day and skipping the first game. That way everyone is playing and not around to “help” 

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Whenever I've changed a part in my gun I normally just settle for the first game of the day to do any fine tuning.

I always take the old parts with me just in case it's made the gun worse and I can revert back to how it was before..

• Supporters

89ft enclosed back garden , two very old and deaf as a post half blind neighbors on one side , builders storage yard on the other , 6ft breezeblock wall at the top of the garden which coincidentally (and have no idea why) two rows from the top has a single red brick in the very centre of it , which is very usefully for sighting in ! AND a row of honking big trees behind said wall , so I’m sorted thank you very much! 😁

Best thing possible has happened - my local (and favourite) site has said I can pop down during the week for as long as I want.
Awesome news! And a Massive thanks to Andy Sables at YPC, home of Halo Mill - Proving Grounds 😄 

Now I actually get to set up my rifle at the site I use! 
I'm really looking forward to it 😆

Archived